Tenth of December: Stories by George…

Tenth of December: Stories (edition 2013)

by George Saunders

Member:KatyBee
Title:Tenth of December: Stories
Authors:George Saunders
Info:Random House (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Tenth of December: Stories by George Saunders

English (112)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (114)
Really enjoyable! I hardly recall ever reading anything this quickly.

Saunders is a master at realistically (how would I know, though?) capturing the chaotic and often illogical inner voices that people talk to themselves with. This book was so compulsively readable precisely because the words on the pages are so alike the voice that everyone is most familiar with; their own, in their head.

The stories, ranging from contemporary to futuristic, build up a sense of unease in the reader. In almost every one, one realizes from the start that something is looming beneath the surface, about to be revealed. In others, everything already seems to be out in the open; the protagonist just has to come to terms with it.

I don't refer specifically to the stories because if I would then I'd probably only focus on those that moved me the most; Victory Lap, Puppy, Escape from Spiderhead, Al Roosten, and Tenth of December. While Saunders is often funny as hell, this collection stood out to me because of the feeling I got while reading when the author managed to capture all that can go wrong in modern life, or perhaps, life in all ages, past and yet to come.
  bartt95 | Jan 15, 2017 |
This collection of short stories blew my mind. Saunders uses language in totally innovative and enlightening ways, from mimicking the interior speech of a pair of teenagers, to creating a shorthand for a sad-sack bureacrat's furturistic journal. The stories often have a violent edge to them, but they are incredibly humane and moving at their heart. I loved this book.

**Even better on a second reading. I was constantly dazzled by Saunders's linguistic inventiveness, and moved to tears with both "Victory Lap" and "Tenth of December." ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Over all, pretty disappointing. Even if a story or two was interesting, their flaccid endings almost always negated any ground gained. ( )
  beckyrenner | Dec 29, 2016 |
I am usually not a lover of the short story, unless of course Poe was the scribe, but I really enjoyed this collection. I especially enjoyed the title story, 'Tenth of December' and the opening story, 'Victory Lap', maybe because they were the two stories that were a bit more cheery! ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
Man, this was good. Bleak, dark, depressing - so very human - and so damn good. ( )
  emma_mc | Oct 21, 2016 |
No one writes more powerfully than George Saunders about the lost, the unlucky, the disenfranchised, those Americans who struggle to pay the bills, make the rent, hold onto a job they might detest — folks who find their dreams slipping from their grasp as they frantically tread water, trying to keep from drowning.

George Saundersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lovell, JoelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pat Pacino
Three days shy of her fifteenth birthday, Alison Pope paused at the top of the stairs.
Based on the experience of my life, which I have not exactly hit out of the park, I tend to agree with that thing about, If it's not broke, don't fix it. And would go even further to: Even if it is broke, leave it alone, you'll probably make it worse.

One of the most important and blazingly original writers of his generation, George Saunders is an undisputed master of the short story, and Tenth of December is his most honest, accessible, and moving collection yet.

In the taut opener, “Victory Lap,” a boy witnesses the attempted abduction of the girl next door and is faced with a harrowing choice: Does he ignore what he sees, or override years of smothering advice from his parents and act? In “Home,” a combat-damaged soldier moves back in with his mother and struggles to reconcile the world he left with the one to which he has returned. And in the title story, a stunning meditation on imagination, memory, and loss, a middle-aged cancer patient walks into the woods to commit suicide, only to encounter a troubled young boy who, over the course of a fateful morning, gives the dying man a final chance to recall who he really is. A hapless, deluded owner of an antiques store; two mothers struggling to do the right thing; a teenage girl whose idealism is challenged by a brutal brush with reality; a man tormented by a series of pharmaceutical experiments that force him to lust, to love, to kill—the unforgettable characters that populate the pages of Tenth of December are vividly and lovingly infused with Saunders’s signature blend of exuberant prose, deep humanity, and stylistic innovation.

Writing brilliantly and profoundly about class, sex, love, loss, work, despair, and war, Saunders cuts to the core of the contemporary experience. These stories take on the big questions and explore the fault lines of our own morality, delving into the questions of what makes us good and what makes us human.

Unsettling, insightful, and hilarious, the stories in Tenth of December—through their manic energy, their focus on what is redeemable in human beings, and their generosity of spirit—not only entertain and delight; they fulfill Chekhov’s dictum that art should “prepare us for tenderness.”

A collection of stories which includes "Home," a wryly whimsical account of a soldier's return from war; "Victory lap," a tale about an inventive abduction attempt; and the title story, in which a suicidal cancer patient saves the life of a young misfit.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Tenth of December by George Saunders was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,770,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible