Legion by Brandon Sanderson

Legion (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Legion (1)

Member:arnautc
Title:Legion
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Subterranean (2012), Edició: Deluxe Hardcover Edition, Hardcover, 88 pàgines
Collections:Ebook, Ciència-ficció
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ciència-ficció, múltiple personalitat, viatges en el temps

Legion by Brandon Sanderson (2012)

English (31)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (33)
My first Sanderson!

Good, quick read about genius Stephen Leeds and his large assortment of helpful hallucinations. Need to learn a language? Scan a book, and a new hallucination appears with complete knowledge of the language. Useful, right?

This one was fun, humorous in places, and way too short. The potential with this character and series is great. While it's not marketed as such, it definitely has a noir feel to it, too.

Glad I have the next (longer) book to start into right away! ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
Very well written and amusing characters.
Spoiled by abrupt ending ( )
  nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
This is a fun little story. Did you have invisible friends when you were a child? I had a whole fleet of them -- different friends for different circumstances and occasionally they would all get together at the same time and we’d have a big party. Well, the main character in this story has a lot of invisible friends too. The thing is, he’s an adult and he can really see them. The main character, Stephen, is incredibly smart, but his knowledge and skills have been divided up into different “aspects” of himself, which manifest as actual people with whom he has conversations. He’s fully aware that these people don’t really exist, but he mostly interacts with them as if they were real.

Since the story is so short, I don’t really want to talk about the plot for fear of spoiling the fun of reading/listening to it for somebody else. I’ll just say that it’s interesting, and that it’s sort of a cross between a mystery and science fiction. The story is resolved pretty well and stands alone well enough although there are some small threads left hanging. There’s a lot of humor in the story and my only real complaint is that it wasn’t longer – I would have loved a full-length novel with this character and setting. It was just too short to get into things in as much depth as I would have liked.

I actually listened to this as an audio book. I don’t have a lot of audiobook experience, but I thought the narrator did a great job and was easy to follow. I could tell which character the narrator was speaking for even before the speaking character had been identified. The story kept my attention very well which is something I sometimes have trouble with when listening to audio books. I had actually listened to this story once before, a few years back, but I enjoyed it equally as much the second time. I’m listening to it again now because I intend to listen to the sequel soon and I wanted to refresh my memory. ( )
  YouKneeK | Oct 8, 2015 |
Continuing my Brandon Sanderson marathon, I listened to the audio of Legion today. Legion, a novella published thru Subterranean Press, follows Stephen Leeds (Legion), who has the unique ability to create multiple personalities when he needs them to fill a particular roll in his life or he needs to learn something new: for instance, Stephen needs to learn a new language? Suddenly he has a new hallucinatory personality that will teach him French. These personalities are unique individuals who interact with Stephen and each other, yet no on else can see them. Stephen even goes so far as to live in a huge mansion, with enough rooms for each of his personalities to live in.

Because of his unique ability (or psychosis), he has been studied by the medical community and has used his personalities to help those that can afford to hire him. When Balubal Razon, the inventor of a camera of unique and potentially devastating consequences, goes missing, Stephen is hired to help find him. This search takes him on an adventure around the world, and the result of his search proved to be one that I expected, but didn't see coming the way it did.

What was amazing was the questions that Sanderson brings up in such a short work: questions of history, time, morality, politics, and faith. This is an ingenious little piece of writing and a character that I hope Sanderson will work with again in the future. ( )
  tapestry100 | Aug 18, 2015 |
ABR's full Legion audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

What do you do when you have 47 personalities who act separately from you and with each other? Solve crimes, of course. Stephen Leeds does not have personality disorder (at least according to him), he is completely aware of his many personalities, knows they are not real, yet interacts with them as people. Essentially they are different aspects of his brilliant mind that each have unique skills. He can call on them to help him with cryptography, handwriting analysis, chemical engineering, even languages, and come in pretty handy to solve the most challenging mysteries.

Steven Leeds and his several personalities (you don’t meet all of them, about 10) are funny, neurotic, helpful, strange and just fun. Written in the first person, you get a myopic view of Stephen Leeds’ life, but one couldn’t imagine doing this another way.

The book is very short, not much longer than a lengthy short story, even less than a novella. That is fine, it works, though if you used one credit on Audible, you might be a little disappointed how quickly it goes. The plot and the supporting characters are ridiculous and forgettable. The point of the story is the personalities and how they interact with each other and the world. It’s good fun and worth the two hour listen.

Oliver Wyman does a fine job with the narration, keeping the characters clearly defined in your ear. His pacing is good and he remains “transparent” throughout the book, leaving the story for the listener to imagine.

Don’t look for earth shattering revelations or philosophical enlightenment from Legion, just a couple of hours distraction. Overall this is a fun listen and you’ll get through it quickly with a smile on your face.

Audiobook purchased for review by ABR. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Apr 15, 2015 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyman, OliverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Daniel Wells, who gave me the idea.
My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad.

Solving mysteries
Using my schizophrenic
Hallucinations
(twhite13)

"Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,' is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the story begins, Leeds and his 'aspects' are drawn into the search for the missing Balubal Razon, inventor of a camera whose astonishing properties could alter our understanding of human history and change the very structure of society"--From publisher description.… (more)

67 wanted4 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,334,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible