Legion by Brandon Sanderson

Legion (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Legion (1)

Member:arnautc
Title:Legion
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Subterranean (2012), Edició: Deluxe Hardcover Edition, Hardcover, 88 pàgines
Collections:Ebook, Ciència-ficció
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ciència-ficció, múltiple personalitat, viatges en el temps

Legion by Brandon Sanderson (2012)

English (34)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All (36)
Review originally posted on Goodreads.

This book was funny and exciting, which I'm surprised because it was so short. I was disappointed when it was over because I wanted more! ( )
  apollymipanthos | Feb 25, 2017 |
Very nice book. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it is too short... But other than that, an excellent concept with some hilarious remarks here and there. 'My hallucinations are about to drive me insane.' Really! ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 2, 2017 |
I don't normally get too excited for short stories, but this one was a great read. Quick pacing and interesting characters, many of whom were imaginary, made this fun. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
Of course, as usual, Brandon Sanderson hits another out of the park. In this case, a quick 88-page novella. I read this in a couple hours in a single sitting, and it didn't feel like that at all. The story is so engaging. Really, it's hard to find flaws with the story.

All the characters, as is typical Sanderson, have deep personalities, and you quickly understand each of them as though they were real people. The concept as a story, is fascinating (more on that in a sec). Even better, even though this is a mere 88-pages in length, he manages to tell 3 stories in parallel, while also giving you enough background to the main character, to completely grasp what is going on. Which means the pacing is incredible.

The story focuses on Stephen, who seems to have a schizophrenic multiple personality disorder. He's schizophrenic in that fantasies play out as individual people that he can interact, and who can interact with him. He has multiple personality disorder in that his hallucinations all have character traits of their own. In fact, one of his personality projections is also schizophrenic, and has a character that that hallucination can communicate with, but Stephen cannot.

The main plot is about a camera that can take photos of the past. However, the camera must be in the physical location that the event took place. Brandon Sanderson (through the character Stephen) correctly explains that the planet is in motion, and when traveling in time, you will not be in the same physical location as the planet for that time reference. Unfortunately, Brandon only considers Earth's rotational spin, and orbit around the Sun, and doesn't take into consideration that our Solar System as a whole is also moving. So, never mind the rotational spin, and solar orbit- we've laterally moved through the Milky Way (which is also moving). So, moving back in time, you just won't get the same physical location in Space as when that event occurred. You will quite literally be looking at the void of space.

But, this is fantasy, so the author is granted a literal liberty, and he takes it. Regardless, the camera works, although it can't be explained how, where it can take a photo of the event, even if the Earth is in a different physical position. Okay, good enough.

The final story running in parallel, is apparently, Stephen has a romantic past. Not much is said about this past, but the fact that he hasn't closed that chapter (hah, pun intended) in his life must mean something.

Ultimately, the book stays one step ahead of you (which is remarkable giving the pacing of the book). You accept everything that is going on, until a new event happens, that makes you think back into the story, with that "AH HAH!" moment. Then you go along, until another happens. Then another. And another. You are always thinking you have it figured out, until a new wrench is thrown into your theory. All the way to the last page.

Well done. ( )
  atoponce | Oct 7, 2016 |
My first Sanderson!

Good, quick read about genius Stephen Leeds and his large assortment of helpful hallucinations. Need to learn a language? Scan a book, and a new hallucination appears with complete knowledge of the language. Useful, right?

This one was fun, humorous in places, and way too short. The potential with this character and series is great. While it's not marketed as such, it definitely has a noir feel to it, too.

Glad I have the next (longer) book to start into right away! ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyman, OliverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Daniel Wells, who gave me the idea.
My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad.

Solving mysteries
Using my schizophrenic
Hallucinations
(twhite13)

"Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,' is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the story begins, Leeds and his 'aspects' are drawn into the search for the missing Balubal Razon, inventor of a camera whose astonishing properties could alter our understanding of human history and change the very structure of society"--From publisher description.… (more)

67 wanted4 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,776,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible