Legion by Brandon Sanderson

Legion (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Legion (1)

Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Subterranean (2012), Edició: Deluxe Hardcover Edition, Hardcover, 88 pàgines
Collections:Ebook, Ciència-ficció
Tags:ciència-ficció, múltiple personalitat, viatges en el temps

Legion by Brandon Sanderson (2012)

English (31)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (33)
Of course, as usual, Brandon Sanderson hits another out of the park. In this case, a quick 88-page novella. I read this in a couple hours in a single sitting, and it didn't feel like that at all. The story is so engaging. Really, it's hard to find flaws with the story.

All the characters, as is typical Sanderson, have deep personalities, and you quickly understand each of them as though they were real people. The concept as a story, is fascinating (more on that in a sec). Even better, even though this is a mere 88-pages in length, he manages to tell 3 stories in parallel, while also giving you enough background to the main character, to completely grasp what is going on. Which means the pacing is incredible.

The story focuses on Stephen, who seems to have a schizophrenic multiple personality disorder. He's schizophrenic in that fantasies play out as individual people that he can interact, and who can interact with him. He has multiple personality disorder in that his hallucinations all have character traits of their own. In fact, one of his personality projections is also schizophrenic, and has a character that that hallucination can communicate with, but Stephen cannot.

The main plot is about a camera that can take photos of the past. However, the camera must be in the physical location that the event took place. Brandon Sanderson (through the character Stephen) correctly explains that the planet is in motion, and when traveling in time, you will not be in the same physical location as the planet for that time reference. Unfortunately, Brandon only considers Earth's rotational spin, and orbit around the Sun, and doesn't take into consideration that our Solar System as a whole is also moving. So, never mind the rotational spin, and solar orbit- we've laterally moved through the Milky Way (which is also moving). So, moving back in time, you just won't get the same physical location in Space as when that event occurred. You will quite literally be looking at the void of space.

But, this is fantasy, so the author is granted a literal liberty, and he takes it. Regardless, the camera works, although it can't be explained how, where it can take a photo of the event, even if the Earth is in a different physical position. Okay, good enough.

The final story running in parallel, is apparently, Stephen has a romantic past. Not much is said about this past, but the fact that he hasn't closed that chapter (hah, pun intended) in his life must mean something.

Ultimately, the book stays one step ahead of you (which is remarkable giving the pacing of the book). You accept everything that is going on, until a new event happens, that makes you think back into the story, with that "AH HAH!" moment. Then you go along, until another happens. Then another. And another. You are always thinking you have it figured out, until a new wrench is thrown into your theory. All the way to the last page.

Well done. ( )
  atoponce | Oct 7, 2016 |
My first Sanderson!

Good, quick read about genius Stephen Leeds and his large assortment of helpful hallucinations. Need to learn a language? Scan a book, and a new hallucination appears with complete knowledge of the language. Useful, right?

This one was fun, humorous in places, and way too short. The potential with this character and series is great. While it's not marketed as such, it definitely has a noir feel to it, too.

Glad I have the next (longer) book to start into right away! ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
Very well written and amusing characters.
Spoiled by abrupt ending ( )
  nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
This is a fun little story. Did you have invisible friends when you were a child? I had a whole fleet of them -- different friends for different circumstances and occasionally they would all get together at the same time and we’d have a big party. Well, the main character in this story has a lot of invisible friends too. The thing is, he’s an adult and he can really see them. The main character, Stephen, is incredibly smart, but his knowledge and skills have been divided up into different “aspects” of himself, which manifest as actual people with whom he has conversations. He’s fully aware that these people don’t really exist, but he mostly interacts with them as if they were real.

Since the story is so short, I don’t really want to talk about the plot for fear of spoiling the fun of reading/listening to it for somebody else. I’ll just say that it’s interesting, and that it’s sort of a cross between a mystery and science fiction. The story is resolved pretty well and stands alone well enough although there are some small threads left hanging. There’s a lot of humor in the story and my only real complaint is that it wasn’t longer – I would have loved a full-length novel with this character and setting. It was just too short to get into things in as much depth as I would have liked.

I actually listened to this as an audio book. I don’t have a lot of audiobook experience, but I thought the narrator did a great job and was easy to follow. I could tell which character the narrator was speaking for even before the speaking character had been identified. The story kept my attention very well which is something I sometimes have trouble with when listening to audio books. I had actually listened to this story once before, a few years back, but I enjoyed it equally as much the second time. I’m listening to it again now because I intend to listen to the sequel soon and I wanted to refresh my memory. ( )
  YouKneeK | Oct 8, 2015 |
Continuing my Brandon Sanderson marathon, I listened to the audio of Legion today. Legion, a novella published thru Subterranean Press, follows Stephen Leeds (Legion), who has the unique ability to create multiple personalities when he needs them to fill a particular roll in his life or he needs to learn something new: for instance, Stephen needs to learn a new language? Suddenly he has a new hallucinatory personality that will teach him French. These personalities are unique individuals who interact with Stephen and each other, yet no on else can see them. Stephen even goes so far as to live in a huge mansion, with enough rooms for each of his personalities to live in.

Because of his unique ability (or psychosis), he has been studied by the medical community and has used his personalities to help those that can afford to hire him. When Balubal Razon, the inventor of a camera of unique and potentially devastating consequences, goes missing, Stephen is hired to help find him. This search takes him on an adventure around the world, and the result of his search proved to be one that I expected, but didn't see coming the way it did.

What was amazing was the questions that Sanderson brings up in such a short work: questions of history, time, morality, politics, and faith. This is an ingenious little piece of writing and a character that I hope Sanderson will work with again in the future. ( )
  tapestry100 | Aug 18, 2015 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyman, OliverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Daniel Wells, who gave me the idea.
My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad.

Solving mysteries
Using my schizophrenic

"Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,' is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the story begins, Leeds and his 'aspects' are drawn into the search for the missing Balubal Razon, inventor of a camera whose astonishing properties could alter our understanding of human history and change the very structure of society"--From publisher description.… (more)

67 wanted4 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,814,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible