Legion by Brandon Sanderson

Legion (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson

245None46,835 (3.77)16
Member:arnautc
Title:Legion
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Subterranean (2012), Edició: Deluxe Hardcover Edition, Hardcover, 88 pàgines
Collections:Ebook, Ciència-ficció
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ciència-ficció, múltiple personalitat, viatges en el temps

Legion by Brandon Sanderson (2012)

English (26)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (28)
3.5 stars Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

I??m a fan of Brandon Sandersonƒ??s vivid imagination, so I was happy to get a copy of Legion, his new 88 page stand-alone novella. Itƒ??s about Stephen Leeds, a man whoƒ??s been diagnosed with schizophrenia because he sees and hears people who donƒ??t exist. The thing about Stephen, though, is that unlike most schizophrenicsƒ?? hallucinations, the people in Stephenƒ??s head actually help him. They all have their own talents and areas of expertise (and their own mental illnesses) and if Stephen needs to know something they donƒ??t know, some other ƒ??aspectƒ? is likely to show up to offer some help. This makes him valuable to anyone who needs help ƒ?? itƒ??s like hiring a ƒ??legionƒ? instead of just one guy. Therefore, Stephen is highly paid and lives in a mansion with enough rooms to house all his special friends.

Stephenƒ??s current petitioner is unusual. Monica, and the people she works for, have lost a camera that can take photographs of the past. It seems to be an inside job and they need Stephen and his aspects to find the guy who stole it. Intrigued, they take the job when they realize that the thief hopes to produce photographs that will change the world, or at least the worldview, of millions of people. They know the photos will have a huge impact, but they donƒ??t know if it will bring world peace or world war.

As I mentioned, I love Brandon Sandersonƒ??s imagination, and he doesnƒ??t disappoint in Legion. Stephen and his crew are unique characters ƒ?? each of the aspects has its own personality and is a character in his or her own right. Due to the shortness of this novella, they donƒ??t get developed as much as weƒ??d like, and some of their dialog is a bit stilted, but I certainly hope weƒ??ll be seeing more of them in future stories. Theyƒ??re all interesting and the hallucinatory nature of Stephenƒ??s aspectsƒ?? existence offers plenty of opportunities for humor.

I donƒ??t want to give away any more of the plot, especially in so short a story, but I will say that, like Stephen and his friends, I was intrigued and excited by the possibilities the camera offered, though I had to work harder than usual to suspend my disbelief because I couldnƒ??t figure out how the camera could take a picture of the exact historical person or object desired when there would be so much ƒ??noiseƒ? from all the history that a single place would hold.

Legion asks us to consider past and current world events (especially in the area of religion and politics) and our own personal religious beliefs. What would our world be like if we had scientific evidence to back up our faith? Or if religious beliefs other than our own could be empirically verified? And if we could prove our beliefs, what is the meaning of faith?

Legion is a quick exciting read. This concept and plot is worthy of many more pages, though, so I sincerely hope that Brandon Sanderson will be writing more stories about Stephen Leeds and his legion. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This was kind of an odd book. I liked it. But it felt more like a TV show episode than a book. I suppose I don’t read very many novelettes or short stories and that if I did, it wouldn’t be that strange. This story is pretty detailed so I felt as if I was only getting a little of the overall story. I feel there is so much more that can be said about Stephen and his hallucinations. I feel kind of cheated that all I got was this. As always, Sanderson has some great and unique ideas, which is why I like reading his books. This one however may find its place on the bottom of the like scale of his books. ( )
  Kassilem | Jan 3, 2014 |
The best thing about this novella was that it kept me lauging, at points. 3 stars because the concept of ones own personal legion is compelling and, new. Otherwise, not enough depth or character development, even for such a short work. ( )
  matt.kurjanowicz | Oct 16, 2013 |
From my blog:

Legion by Brandon Sanderson is one of two novellas he published in 2012. I very much enjoyed The Emperor’s Soul and so was quite excited to find Legion on Audible! Legion has a crazy interesting premise and I was for once quite pleased with the male narrator. This one is definitely a bit different than the Sanderson I’ve read previously (I don’t think I’ve ever read any sci-fi from him before actually), so it was cool to see him writing for another genre ;-).

Strengths:
There are some really interesting ideas in Legion. For one thing, having a main character who has countless hallucinations that know things that he doesn’t seem to was just a great take on the human mind. Then there is this whole other awesome sci-fi element that was just too cool, especially because the characters discussed it with insights that I hadn’t thought of :D.
I loved the narration of the audio version! I usually really dislike male narrators, but I really enjoyed Legion’s including when he portrayed female characters. It’s a miracle!
Sanderson has proven to be very good at pacing his novellas and I was entranced the entire time.
Legion has a brief explanation for the main character’s hallucinations that was something I hadn’t thought of, but also a very intriguing thought. Have you read Legion and know what I mean?? *wiggly eyebrows*

Weaknesses:
Legion unfortunately left me with more questions D: This can be the problem with novellas with such rich ideas, since there isn’t room to completely flesh them out it seems.
While I liked both of the two sci-fi elements of Legion, they were rather disconnected and seemed to be too much for a novella.
I really wish that Legion had been a full length novel instead, it had the potential to be!

Summary:
Legion is a really cool sci-fi novella and I highly recommend it for Sanderson fans who also like sci-fi. Legion has Sanderson’s characteristic rich ideas and writing, while being a little too short for its good! I also recommend the audio version if you are looking for something quick to listen to, since I quite enjoyed all the voices that were packed in; you needed a talented narrator for Legion, haha. ( )
  anyaejo | Sep 7, 2013 |
Somewhat strange novella about a man with schizophrenic hallucinations being asked to investigate a theft of a camera that can take pictures of the past.

Bizarre as that sounds, it was intriguing and the ending made me smile. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 25, 2013 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wyman, OliverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad.

"Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,' is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the story begins, Leeds and his 'aspects' are drawn into the search for the missing Balubal Razon, inventor of a camera whose astonishing properties could alter our understanding of human history and change the very structure of society"--From publisher description.… (more)

30 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,416,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible