Return of the Library Dragon by Carmen Agra…

Return of the Library Dragon (edition 2012)

by Carmen Agra Deedy, Michael P. White (Illustrator)

494238,224 (4)None
Title:Return of the Library Dragon
Authors:Carmen Agra Deedy
Other authors:Michael P. White (Illustrator)
Info:Peachtree Publishers (2012), Hardcover, 32 pages, First edition
Collections:Children's books about libraries, Children's, Your library
Tags:library, children's book, retirement, media centre, first edition

Return of the Library Dragon by Carmen Agra Deedy

Return of the Library Dragon is a charming book with a vast amount of social significance based in belief that the written word is a time honored and valuable resource for people of all ages. The book challenges the issue of modern day technology versus the historical personal value systems of the nonconformists of the lovers of the antiquated typeset.

The story line is that the librarian, Miss Lotty is about to retire, and the day of her retirement, Mike Krochip has been sent by the school district to remove and replace all of the musty, dusty children’s books with the latest and greatest advancements in technological library designs, including tablets, and pads, computers and screens. Miss Lotty who is really a dragon, finds her personality is affected by the unthinkable- no books in a library. She mutates from a sweet old ready to retire school librarian into a gigantic technology eating dragon.

With the help of the children, Miss Lotty defeats the technological giant, returns to her usual self and finds that the victor is none other than an adult who was once the very child who helped her remove her dragoness self and return to Miss Lotty once- twenty years prior. The child is now grown and to Miss Lotty’s surprise, brings a delightful revelation. Want to know what it is? Read the book, I promise you won’t be disappointed.

The illustration varies between a pseudo water-color and creative methods including shading and second dimensional graphic design. The muted colors in the background are highlighted by the rich variety of secondary colors of salmon flames, pine-tree green and purple on every page. This exquisite mix lends an allowance of liberal varieties that most artists could not pull off for fear of upsetting a balance of artistic conformity, otherwise known as ‘marketable children’s illustrations’. Michael P. White is an award winning artist with gallery shows featuring this artistic method in all of his works. The illustrations could tell the story all by themselves, and combined with the genuinely unique story line written by Carmen Agra Deedy, this is a wonderful marriage of children’s interests.

Return of the Library Dragon is a good read for virtually anyone who has ever held a book in their hands, laid it upon their laps to stare at seemingly nothing while recounting the touching, scary, monumental moments encapsulated by the words of the writer. It is a bit of a horror story, with real life moments that only draw one back to the fact that the names are deliberately constructed to engage ones social and technological aptitudes with a sense of humor.

This book holds value to the reader in the sense that it reveals our inner most reason for wanting to read, at all. Who can think back clearly into a time in their past, either as a child learning to read, or an adult learning to read, and remember what about reading was definitive moment that why knew that reading had adopted them into a subculture of a wealth of creativity and wisdom? Not many, but we do remember, and as a personal value, hold onto the memory of the situation of that moment.

Who was with us? Was there anyone there at all? What smells, sights or sounds can we recall from that experience? For me, it was always the end of a long eight to ten hour car ride, and then a final stop- before the car doors were even closed, my brother and I clamored into our grandmother’s lap where she had at her ready, a thousand different books all waiting to be narrated to us, by who else? The greatest storyteller in the world, in our eyes-Grandma Pearl Bailey.

Return of the Library Dragon is a story that forces the reader to recall, maybe not at first glance, and maybe even a lingering thought, but none the less, that moment- and why we read today. I recommend this storyline to anyone who is past the stage of monosyllabic word structure, and to those who are not but who love stories in picture. ( )
  SalemDjembe | Sep 23, 2015 |
An interesting book about the use of technology to replace the use of books. This library is going to a become a cybary using technology instead of a lot of books. Miss. Lotty, the librarian is a dragon and she fights back to get the books back in the library. When she does, a new librarian comes in and everyone is satisfied. This book is amazing with nice pictures, I would d read it to my kids should i have some. Grade level for second and third grade. I would say and its for those who like books and libraries. ( )
  sabdelaz | Feb 2, 2014 |
Loved the original, but this one has too many pathetic puns. ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
Miss Lotta Scales retires! But she comes back to save her library from turning into the dreaded media centre sans books. Had to love this. Miss Lotta Scales is the best children's librarian ever. The quotes on the endpapers are great, and unique on each set. ( )
  cnfoht | Nov 10, 2012 |

Carmen Agra Deedyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, Michael P.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Miss Lotta Scales, a dragon also known as Miss Lotty the librarian, wants to retire from taking care of the school's library but will not willingly stand by and see her beloved books replaced by computers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,886,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible