Death of a Neighborhood Witch by Laura…

Death of a Neighborhood Witch (edition 2013)

by Laura Levine

Member:KateBaxter
Title:Death of a Neighborhood Witch
Authors:Laura Levine
Info:Kensington (2013), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:LibraryThing Early Reviewers, Cozy Mystery, Los Angeles, Halloween, Jaine Austen Series

Death of a Neighborhood Witch by Laura Levine

English (18)  Piratical (1)  All languages (19)
This is the first time I didn't like Lance at all. I usually find him endearing, but in this book, he was always doing things behind her back to sabotage her. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
Jainie Austin is very funny and I found myself laughing out loud while I was reading. A great fun read. ( )
  kresslya | Jul 27, 2014 |
Though the solution to this mystery was a rehash of the very first book, it upped its quality somewhat. I had a nasty surprise incoming when I read a ploy ripped off Desperate Housewives, of all sitcoms! God knows what else was lifted for this messy story. What was the point of no return was the transformation of Lance Venable, the heterosexually challenged neighbor of Jaine. He was insufferable. It was supposed to bring a cute but naughty touch to the fore. But the guy was like a villain twirling a comedic handlebar moustache. I'm quite let down, but I will continue reading these manageable, small packets of books if the author keeps churning them out. Even all things considered. ( )
  Jiraiya | Nov 5, 2013 |
Laura Levine has become my new favorite author! I received several strange looks from people in the break room at work when I laughed out loud over some silly thought or statement by Jaine.

The neighborhood witch-with a capital B-is murdered and Jaine is the only suspect. She decides (of course) to track down the killer (someone in an ape suit) before she winds up locked up. Along with snooping, she is also vying for the attention of her hot new neighbor. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Sep 22, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a charming and delightful light mystery for reading in between the heavier tomes. Our heroine is awkward and a slightly overweight sleuth. I found myself smiling as she got into more scrapes than one deserves. There's an interesting mixed L.A. neighborhood of renters and owners in the book and everyone has a motive for murdering the starlet has-been. On the surface, the story may seem "fluffy" but Laura Levine cleverly works three mysteries simultaneously: who murdered Cryptessa?; is he or isn't HE gay? and was mom's best friend murdered down in Florida and if so, by whom? I thoroughly enjoyed this quick read and look forward to investigating a few more Jaine Austen stories. ( )
  KateBaxter | Jan 7, 2013 |

When Cryptessa Muldoon, a Hollywood has-been who spends her days making enemies with everyone on the street, is found murdered on Halloween night, Jaine Austen, to prove her own innocence, must unmask a killer among a neighborhood filled with suspects.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Death of A Neighborhood Witch by Laura Levine was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible