Wiener Dog Art: A Far Side Collection by…

Wiener Dog Art: A Far Side Collection

by Gary Larson

The latest collection of Far Side cartoons by Gary Larson. A 16-page colour insert is devoted to the theme of Wiener Dogs (Dachshunds) in world art.

One of the Far Side collected books from my youth. Gary Larson is so great with absurdism, he literally turns it into art.

In this one, aside from the usual Far Side greatness, there is a center feature (on nice, glossy paper no less) of Wiener Dog art, just as the cover suggests. Each piece is beautiful, featuring commentary on the strange phenomena of the Wiener Dog as subject through the years, and featuring Wiener Dog art pieces from some famous names (supposedly).

I grew up loving Gary Larson's Far Side, and it's always nice to go back for a visit into his curious mind. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Dec 14, 2016 |
Larson is overrated, imo. Sure he's clever, and once in a while even a bit provocative or poignant. But five stars, everybody, really? I prefer to reserve that for rating for books that will do more than make me giggle for an hour. I mean, you know why we can reread comic collections so often? Not because they're worth the extra attention due to nuances found the second & third time through - but because they don't 'stick' and are short & easy enough to go through again. My opinion.

If anyone has written a review that tells me more about *why* Far Side books are such special reads, please let me know. I will gladly amend my review if I can be persuaded that the books are richer, more complex, more resonant with the human spirit, more life-changing, or whatever. But, yeah, for now I'm stuck on the 'whatever.' ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book was a fun break from the other books I was reading at the time. Also, since there were no chapters, I could read it during SSR in my classroom without having to flip back and remind myself what I had been reading. ( )
  CaraLPeacock | Jun 29, 2010 |
As always, Gary Larson delivers. Wiener Dog Art is funny, provocative, and insightful, like all of Larson's book. Unfortunately, as with most comics strips, it's either all or nothing, love it or hate it. If you like Larson, then you are guaranteed to love this book. If you don't care for Larson...why are you here? ( )
  benuathanasia | Nov 30, 2008 |
It was very late, and Raymond, fighting insomnia, went for a midnight snack. Unfortunately, he never saw the duck blind.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,724,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible