Will You Sign Here, John Hancock? by Jean…

Will You Sign Here, John Hancock? (1976)

by Jean Fritz

489None20,975 (3.87)3

Whether this counts as historical fiction or straight historical biography, I am not sure. Some details may be fictional, but by and large it is a straightforward favorable but not reverential biography of Hancock. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 14, 2013 |
A biography of the first signer of the Declaration fo Independence outlining all that he did for himself as well as what he did for Massachusetts and his new nation. Great book to use for a history class or social studies lesson. ( )
  bekeelen | Feb 8, 2013 |
I think this was a good book about the signing of the Declaration of Independence. It can teach the students about the Founding Fathers and how the saying, "Put your John Hancock here" can about. Great U.S. history is the book but it does put you in the mind of a history book also.
  DBPeeples | Feb 9, 2010 |
A kinda of simple and dry telling of the J. Hancock story and signing of the DOI. CAUTION: p12 cuss word I would use this book to talk about JH and the DOI. I would surely use it as a read aloud since its dry monologue gives me the oppty to spice it up a bit. It does have interesting facts nestled in the pages. Read aloud for grades 3-5. Study resources grades 5-8. ( )
  awiltenburg | Nov 1, 2009 |
I thought that this book had great pictures and it was interesting to read about John Hancock. But I didn't really like how it was set up, it had these borders in to focus your attention directly to the text, but I felt like it narrowed your view in so that you couldn't look at the illustrations and the text without stumbling over the border. It had great information about John Hancock and it was a good start to learning about one of our Founding Fathers. Hyman's illustration were good, but they were not her best work I didn't really feel like they fit, mostly because of the color choices that she used. ( )
  D.Holliman | Jun 8, 2009 |

Jean Fritzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schart Hyman, TrinaIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Everyone knows that John Hancock was one of the first signers of the Declaration of Independence. But not many know that he signed his name so large to show how mad he was about how the colonists had been treated. This witty book highlights little-known facts about this historical figure.
Annotation
A biography of the first signer of the Declaration of Independence outlining all that he did for himself as well as what he did for Massachusetts and his new nation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,450,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible