Nightwhere by John Everson

Title:Nightwhere
Authors:John Everson
Info:Samhain Publishing (2012), Paperback, 272 pages

Nightwhere by John Everson

Well written exploration of loyalty, love, sadism/masochism, blood erotica and dark forces at work in a nightmare fairy tale setting.

The ending: It ended. Suddenly. It actually took more than a second to sink in it was the endnotes that I was looking at, and there was no more text to follow. An open ending. We can only hope and trust and keep our fingers crossed. ( )
  Bluerabella | Jun 28, 2014 |
Happily married Mark and Rae are part of the swingers lifestyle and overjoyed to finally get an invite to the elite BDSM club NightWhere. But as Rae gets drawn into the the seductively torturous world of The Red room, Mark becomes worried that their relationship can not survive Rae's desires and NightWhere's gifts. Local author John Everson's latest work is full of descriptive imagery evoking eroticism mixed with degradation and pain. The nightmare horror comes in equal parts from the depths of the human psyche and the demons hidden behind the curtain of normal reality. ( )
  ktoonen | Jan 11, 2013 |
If your into bondage, S&M and kinky sex clubs then there is a place for you called NightWhere. Except you can’t go looking for it, NightWhere looks for you. NightWhere by John Everson is the story of a secret swinger’s club where all your dreams and nightmares about pain and degradation come true.

Rae wasn’t satisfied with her marriage to Mark, she wanted more and whips, chains and bizarre sex is what she was looking for. Mark reluctantly starts to go to underground sex clubs with Rae to keep her happy. Then one day they receive an invitation to a gothic sex club called NightWhere.

After a couple of visits to the club, Rae becomes obsessed with NightWhere and disappears. The location of the club changes nightly and Mark is in a race against time to save his wife. Rae is going through changes and finds she loves the lifestyle that NightWhere offers. She may not want to be saved but Mark loves Rae and will go through hell to get her back.

Nightwhere is by far the most disturbing book that I’ve ever read. I’ve read some hardcore bloody horror novels from the likes of Richard Laymon and Ed Lee but these authors didn’t make me cringe like John Everson did. There were two times while reading NightWhere that I had to stop because I couldn’t handle the subject matter. There are some torture scenes in this book that were so over the top that they bordered on ridiculous and left me wondering if there are people out there who are similar to the characters in the story.

You have to have a strong stomach to get through Nightwhere, what kept me reading was I wanted to see what was going to happen to Mark. Mark has to go through unimaginable amounts of humiliation and pain to save Rae. He takes his marriage vows seriously and is willing to do anything for Rae and that is why I love the character so much. I also liked how Mark keeps getting chances to walk away from trying to save her but he won’t stop because he is committed to her.

Another interesting point in NightWhere is how much all the characters are willing to suffer to get what they want. Everyone in this book gets tortured but they come back for more because they are looking for something and their instinct is to survive until they find it. Mark does several things he thought he would never do, to get his wife back. Also a character named Selena risks her life and throws away the life she has to save Mark. In addition to that, you see a lot of the patrons of NightWhere literally go through hell just to advance into the different levels of suffering and excitement that NightWhere has to offer. Everyone has different reasons to carry on and nothing will keep them from their goal.

This book tries hard to shock you but there is also a love story and it makes a point of how far one would and should go for the one they love. It also makes a point about staying loyal to someone even if that person isn’t loyal to you. Another thing that makes this book good is the description of NightWhere. John Everson put a lot of thought into this world of torture and really brought it to life. NightWhere is not for the faint of heart but if you love to be shocked you will love this book. ( )
  dwatson2 | Nov 3, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,225,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible