Neferet's Curse: A House of Night…

Neferet's Curse: A House of Night Novella (edition 2013)

by P. C. Cast, Kristin Cast

Title:Neferet's Curse: A House of Night Novella
Authors:P. C. Cast
Other authors:Kristin Cast
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 160 pages

Neferet's Curse by P. C. Cast

In general, I hate this series. I (so foolishly) adored it back in my freshman year of high school. Then, as the series continued, I realized that this HoN series really is terrible. Awful, just awful. I vowed to never pick up another book of PC and Kristin's work.

I am always interested in backstories, and Neferet's is probably the most promising of them all. I'm always interested in how villians become actually become the villian that they are, and this book will be no exception. I do hope that the authors exercise brainpower in this novella, and truly reward us with a nice story instead of what they usually feed their readers. Please, please... make this a good one. This sounds like the most interesting book of them all, dare I say.
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
This was a dark book, but for the character, I didn't expect less. ( )
  SpockMonkeys | Feb 25, 2014 |

Wow, you ever wonder why Neferet became they way she is? This definitely tells you why. Her story was beyond emotional and heart wrenching. Life growing up for her was hard and she pushed through some horrific things. One’s that most people don’t ever recover from, but it is what made her the callous, malicious leader she is. There were some times I found myself wincing at the events that took place, but now I completely understand her. Betrayal by someone who is supposed to protect you is the ultimate betrayal. This is one that need to be read if you are a fan on the house of Night series, it was awesome learning about Neferet even though she is pure evil… ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
I started reading the House of Night series in December of 2009, very shortly after reading Twilight. I hadn't done a lot of reading in years and wasn't sure what I'd like, so after loving Twilight, I decided to try out another vampire series. I've really enjoyed the series as a whole, and was very interested in the concept of novellas. Actually, I believe the House of Night novellas were my first intro to novellas within series.

As anyone who has read my previous reviews should know, I am a sucker for back story. I love having more information on books that I enjoy. However, I am not a fan of historical fiction. It's just not my thing. Unfortunately, that seems to be what the House of Night novellas seem to tend towards. I actually enjoyed Dragon's Oath, but I found myself struggling to get through Lenobia's Vow.

I was very excited for Neferet's Curse. Neferet is the villain that you love to hate. (Though, honestly, after 10 books, I'm kind of sick of her. I feel like she should have been defeated 5 books ago!) I was curious to find out how Neferet could have become so evil. However, I was very disappointed with this story.

At the beginning, Neferet, or as she was known before being Marked, Emily Wheiler, is a 15-year-old girl who has just watched her mother die after giving birth to Emily's stillborn baby brother, and her father is already looking at her strangely and making her very uncomfortable. I initially felt really bad for Emily. Her father is a drunk, and he "burns her with his eyes". Emily's father expects her to take her mother's place and become the Lady of Wheiler House. At first she is hesitant, but eventually, she grows into the role.

As I said, I initally felt really sorry for Emily. However, as the story progressed, I just found her to be manipulative and cold. Yes, her father is horrible, but until very near the end of the novella, he doesn't seem as bad as she makes him out to be, and yet, there is already something very unsettling about the way Emily's mind works. Once she's Marked, I just feel like her fate is sealed. She was an unpleasant person to begin with, and she became more and more unpleasant as the story progressed. Honestly, I was surprised it took her so long to become truly evil!

Aside from the fact that Neferet/Emily was so unlikable, I found that most of the story was just boring. It was written as diary entries, but I felt like almost nothing happened for the first half of the book. There were a couple of scenes that had me raising an eyebrow, but overall, it was just a very slow-moving story, and I was bored.

This review is also posted on my blog ( )
  mrso822 | Sep 21, 2013 |
P.C. Cast's note at the end of this book might have been my favorite part. But back to Neferet, I may be callous but this didn't make me change my mind about her one bit. Still don't like her. Yes she had a tragic past but she could have had a bright future and chose otherwise. Well, I guess to her she chose correctly. I don't think I should think about that too much. Never the less, it was interesting to peek into the past. 3 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Sep 16, 2013 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed

"The White City, 1893: In turn-of-the-century Chicago, with the World's Fair bringing bustle and excitement to her home city, sixteen-year-old Emily Wheiler should be reveling in her youthful beauty and the excitement around her. But her whole life changed when her mother died, leaving her to be the Lady of Wheiler House. Her father, a powerful bank president, is at the center of an important social hub for the booming young city, and he needs Emily to do everything her mother would have - to be a good hostess and make sure the mansion runs smoothly. As Emily uneasily tries to replace her mother, she also longs for more... for love and a life of her own. When a handsome young man notices her at one of her father's parties, it seems that her hopes may finally be coming true. Until her father forbids her to see him - or any other man - and starts revealing a darkly violent side that even he can't understand. At last, afraid for her life and with nowhere to turn, Emily is Marked by a vampyre and brought to the Chicago House of Night, where she begins a magickal new life that should allow the wounds from her past to heal. But as she gains strength, and a powerful new name, she carries a dark need to wreak vengeance on the man she trusted most. From victim to High Priestess, beautiful young woman to powerful seductress, Neferet's journey begins in NEFERET'S CURSE.."--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,669,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible