The Art Forger: A Novel by B. A. Shapiro

The Art Forger: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by B. A. Shapiro

Member:jburlinson
Title:The Art Forger: A Novel
Authors:B. A. Shapiro
Info:Algonquin Books (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Mystery

The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro (2012)

From an art perspective, this is an educational novel. The portrayal of how modern forgery is accomplished with methods and techniques was fascinating and I loved that Degas was the artist in question. The author has definitely done her research and the story reads as authentic, although I do not have an art history background. I didn't love the characters and found them somewhat stereotypical. The story wasn't a quick one for me and it took a long time to get through this one. The art history standpoint was terrific.

Bottom line: I liked it, I didn't love it. I could have done without the moderate, unnecessary profanity. I hate the "F" word.
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
A cocky artist and copiest is commissioned to forge Degas' "After the Bath," long missing since its theft from the Gardner Museum. Some fascinating technical details on painting and what it takes to forge one. The plot covers three time periods--the present, the artist's professional disgrace three years earlier and, in epistolary form, Isabella Stewart Gardner's acquisition of the Degas--and moves briskly. ( )
  beaujoe | Jul 30, 2016 |
Somewhat enjoyable, this novel is about what happens when starving artists make poor decisions. I liked parts of it, and it's clear the author really loves art (which is not always evident in these kinds of books), but the ending is so totally silly and implausible that I now can't take the rest of it seriously in retrospect. Also totally nauseating and implausible "love" story. Alright for beach reading. ( )
  sansmerci | Jul 28, 2016 |
interesting premise, which taught me a lot about forgery. I did go back and visit my old friend Degas, too, which was lovely. ( )
  bookczuk | Jul 10, 2016 |

Readers looking for insight into the Gardner heist will have to go elsewhere. But readers seeking an engaging novel about artists and art scandals will find “The Art Forger” rewarding for its skillful balance of brisk plotting, significant emotional depth and a multi-layered narration rich with a sense of moral consequence.

--Edgar Degas
To Dan, who never gave up
I step back and scrutinize the paintings.
A painting is above all a product of the artist's imagination; it must never be a copy. --- Edgar Degas

A Degas painting stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is delivered to the Boston studio of a young artist. A few years after suffering personal disappointment from her artist/lover which also cast her reputation away, a handsome suave art gallery owner enters her life with an intriguing proposition to help the museum, benefit mankind and recover her career aspirations at the same time.

An artist whose reputation has been tarnished stumbles on a piece of art that disappeared twenty-five years ago and agrees to forge it for a gallery owner, until she realizes that the art she is forging may itself be a forgery.

142 wanted3 pay2 pay

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,458,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible