The Art Forger by B.A. Shapiro

The Art Forger (original 2012; edition 2013)

by B.A. Shapiro

728None12,838 (3.81)62
Member:jmchshannon
Title:The Art Forger
Authors:B.A. Shapiro
Info:Thorndike Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Hardcover, 532 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro (2012)

I read this book early for my book club's July meeting. This is almost a perfect book for us to discuss in July -- it is not depressing, it has an interesting story, plus it is informative about art forgery. I really liked this book.
I liked how the author weaved the story around the Gardner Museum and the heist, although this is purely a fictional story. There are some facts about the Gardner Museum and Isabella Gardner that are true, but the rest is an exciting novel.

I see there is a book to explore for a more factual representation - "The Gardner Heist," by Ulrich Boser.

The Gardner Museum has some beautiful art and is worth visiting. ( )
  honkcronk | Apr 8, 2014 |
The techniques of an art forger--who knew??-- wrapped in a fast-paced tale of revenge and morality. I enjoyed The Art Forger immensely. ( )
  alienhard | Mar 26, 2014 |
Oh wow, this book is just captivating! I wanted to immediately read it again when I was finished! The suspense definitely had me going hours on end with this book and I didn't want to put it down. I kept wanting to know more about Claire's past with Isaac and her future with Aiden, her past with scandal and her future with forgery. When would Claire learn that her dependency on men to get ahead in the world as an artist only causes trouble?

"When I accepted Markel's offer, I thought I'd be learning at the feet of a master painter; instead, my most powerful lessons have come from a master forger." (loc.1664)

I had no idea how this book would pan out, and the ending was very satisfying. Perhaps it's because of my own love and hobby of the arts that sparks my intrigue, but the author did a wonderful job in telling this story. The slight of humor, the intensity of seriousness, the lightness in characterization was great! In particular I love the imagery she uses, as well as the metaphors and the personification of the artwork. I will absolutely want to reread this book again, as well as any other books by B.A. Shapiro.

First Line: "I step back and scrutinize the paintings." (loc. 13)

Last Line: "And no matter how big the commissions or how great the museums, I suppose I'll never know." (loc. 3815)
-------
Quotes

"The sweet possibility of reclaiming all that's been lost, everything I've ever wanted. But a forger? A pretender? The absolute last thing I want to be." (loc. 152)

"'It's your call, Claire,' he reminds me. 'I can get someone else if I have to...'
Someone else? 'Okay,' I tell him. 'I'm in.'" (loc. 404)

"A writer friend once told me that when she walks into a library anywhere in the world, the smell makes her feel instantly at home." (loc. 730)

"I'm astonished I was able to fool myself for as long as I did. That I, a self-proclaimed Degas expert, could be so taken in. I felt the truth the first moment I set eyes on the painting, yet I convinced myself otherwise. And I'm not alone." (loc. 1054)

"A woman who makes a Faustian bargain is not without responsibility." (loc. 3810)

Galley provided by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill via NetGalley ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |

First Line: "I step back and scrutinize the paintings." (loc. 13)

-------
Quotes

Someone else? 'Okay,' I tell him. 'I'm in.'" (loc. 404)

Galley provided by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill via NetGalley ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Based on a real life, successful robbery of works of art from a Boston museum. A woman who makes a living painting imitations of famous works for company that sells them to buyers who are aware that the art is not the original, is asked to create an imitation of one of the works stolen from the Boston museum, the most famous of the works taken, by Degas. She is approached to do this by the owner of a top gallery in Boston, who says he will give her a show at his gallery for her own art, in addition to her generous fee for the forgery. She specializes in works by Degas for her employer, so she feels she can do it, and she accepts the job, even though she is reluctant.
I enjoyed the book a lot. The plot mostly makes sense, although there was one part of the story that I could not understand, which did not make sense. But, that is not unusual for books of this genre. ( )
  BillPilgrim | Mar 7, 2014 |

Readers looking for insight into the Gardner heist will have to go elsewhere. But readers seeking an engaging novel about artists and art scandals will find “The Art Forger” rewarding for its skillful balance of brisk plotting, significant emotional depth and a multi-layered narration rich with a sense of moral consequence.

To Dan, who never gave up
I step back and scrutinize the paintings.
A painting is above all a product of the artist's imagination; it must never be a copy. --- Edgar Degas

A Degas painting stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is delivered to the Boston studio of a young artist. A few years after suffering personal disappointment from her artist/lover which also cast her reputation away, a handsome suave art gallery owner enters her life with an intriguing proposition to help the museum, benefit mankind and recover her career aspirations at the same time.

Boston painter Claire Roth has survived financially by painting reproductions, so when influential gallery owner Aiden Markel arrives with a bizarre proposal--her own show if she will forge a copy of a Degas, one of the pictures stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum--she says yes. As she works, Claire and Aiden become lovers, but she doesn't tell him about her discovery that the stolen Degas is itself a copy. This knowledge is Claire's lifeline when the finished forgery is discovered, Aiden and then Claire are both arrested, and only she can save them.… (more)

165 wanted3 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible