Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel by Ethan…

Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel (edition 2012)

by Ethan Jones

Member:LMHTWB
Title:Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel
Authors:Ethan Jones
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 334 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction/Literature, ebooks
Tags:fiction, Canada, Russians, Denmark, arctic, MG, Kindle

Arctic Wargame by Ethan Jones

Tripoli's Target by Ethan Jones (Big_B99)
    Big_B99: The second book (after Arctic Wargame) in the Justin Hall series.

Arctic Wargame (Justin Hall #1) by Ethan Jones is the first Justin Hall and Carrie book. I have read so many of them that I finally got around to reading the first one. I was not disappointed with it either. It has the same action packed, adventure, suspense, espionage, and intrigue that the other ones have. I love these books and I have never been a spy novel reader. These are agents from Canada, and I like our neighbors. lol. It is always a great plot with surprises and twists. The characters are well developed. I enjoy these books tremendously. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Sep 20, 2016 |
Arctic Wargame, by Ethan Jones, takes place in Canada's north where life and death are usually measured in degrees - as in temperature. Without giving away anything, I will say that the story is well written and imaginative. A plot placing Canada's sovereignty at risk has the novel's heroes, Justin Hall and Carrie O'Conner, both Canadian Intelligence Service agents, risking everything to defend the north from...well, I'll let you discover that for yourselves. BUT! it's not who you're thinking.

The story is compelling and hard to put down as there are very few natural 'quiet spots' in the plot. Jones has clearly researched the subject and as someone who revels in finding technical errors in plot or weapons, Arctic Wargame left me disappointed, as I could find neither.

I had acquired this novel through Library Thing and waited for my new Kindle to arrive before reading it. Thankfully, the Kindle's light weight made this 'hard to put down' novel, easier to read :).

Well done Ethan Jones. Now I expect that I will have to follow Justin Hall further along through his literary adventures to see what kind of trouble he gets into next.

www.daniellittle.com ( )
  Sturgeon | Aug 19, 2016 |
Full of action, some of it a little implausible, but a good read nevertheless. It is also good that there are a number of heroic ladies involved in the story! First in the Justin Hall series. Have already acquired the next one in the series. ( )
  Alan1946 | Jun 25, 2016 |
I received this as part of the member's exchange program on Librarything; and finally having read it I can report that it was not what I'd expected. There's a Canadian Super Hero, James Bond type who will keep the Danes who acting as proxy's for the evil Russians are attempting to annex the Northwest Passage in order to control global trade. Of course we're presuming that the fabled passage will be navigable and that there will be meaningful trade to tax conducted along its now ice-free navigable length. If the premise is weak the shooting and mayhem is not, just like any good James Bond movie/book there's plenty enough to go around. This is definitely not the Canadians I know, but maybe those in the Arctic are closer to their Southern USA relatives in terms of gun totin' and shootn'. A fun read if not too serious, I should mention this ends with the clear intent of sequels, so be prepared. ( )
  dmclane | Jul 12, 2015 |
Arctic Wargame by Ethan Jones is a novel set in northern Canada. It is about control of the Northwest Passage and the mineral resources under the Arctic Ocean. The initial premise of a war between Denmark and Canada over the Northwest Passage is not something that most people would take seriously. It makes for an unusual setting for a story about future war.

The story starts with the escape of Justin Hall from a Libyan prison. After the escape he returns to Canada and is purgatory within the office over the actions that occurred in Libya. Information comes to light about some ice breakers intruding in Canada's waters along the Northwest Passage. Eventually Justin is sent to investigate the matter with three other people from the office. During the investigation, they come up with evidence that the Danes have stockpiled weapons in Canada at various locations. One of the people on the trip is a spy. She leaves the other three members of the team to die in a remote part of the Canadian Arctic. Justin Hall is able to escape with the other two and is eventually rescued by the Americans who are stationed at Thule airbase in Greenland.

The other part of the story is the preparation of an army of prisoners in Denmark that will be used to invade Canada. These are all people who were sentenced to long terms for murder and other violent offenses and are told that their sentences will be forgiven if they take part in a secret mission for the Danish government.

I don't want to reveal any more of the background of the story, in that it will spoil the story for anyone who reads the book. There are some interesting plot twists that take place and other participants in the story that make the thought of a battle in the Canadian Arctic more plausible.

Overall this is a very good book for a vacation. It is a fairly quick read and is entertaining. ( )
  rufusraider | May 7, 2015 |

Ethan Jones is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible