Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel by Ethan…

Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel (edition 2012)

by Ethan Jones

Member:LMHTWB
Title:Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel
Authors:Ethan Jones
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 334 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction/Literature, ebooks
Tags:fiction, Canada, Russians, Denmark, arctic, MG, Kindle

Arctic Wargame by Ethan Jones

Incredibly silly premise: Russia and Denmark join forces to invade (via sneak attack) northern Canada in the search for oil. The author has obviously failed to do any research. First, neither country has any need to try such a silly thing. Second, drilling for oil in the arctic is a pretty big job. No way is Canada (or her allies) going to sit still for that. The author obviously has no understanding of military tactics or how helicopters work (I shared many of the outrageous bloopers in this book with my military historian husband--fun to laugh together, of course, but the author was not intentionally funny). Characters are cardboard cutouts. Motivations and relationships are flawed. Kind of a shame because the author is competent enough stringing words together. I notice that he's got continuing adventures with his main character. My suggestion would be that he do some serious research before dumping such nonsense on the public. ( )
  Carrie.Kilgore | May 23, 2014 |
Disappointing. For me, the plot was not realistic, and the characters remained superficial. SOme nice action scenes, but they could not save the book for me. ( )
  deblemrc | May 20, 2014 |
This review may contain spoilers!
Since I got this book in a give-away, I really hoped I'd like it. Alas, it was not to be.
First of all, the plot is thin. Thinner than a sheet of ice on a puddle. Evil Danes (or rather: a single evil Dane, being blackmailed by clichée russians) attacking Canada with a bunch of common criminals.
On the other side are some non-descript Canadians (our bland hero), some noble natives (one of them constantly drunk, corrupted by the evil white men!) and a compassionate American nurse which fight the evil criminal Danes. Oh, and there's the hero's love interest who happens to be around for no discernible reason - she adds nothing to the story, doesn't seem to have any useful talents and is usually just being an accessory.
I'm absolutely willing to suspend my disbelief; I might even have accepted the ridiculous notion of a small country like Denmark attacking Canada, an ally, if the storytelling hadn't been so incredibly boring. The entire story is so unbelievably predictable that only a feeling of obligation towards the author made me finish it.
The characters are so one-dimensional and uninteresting, I didn't even care who was going to win (even though there never was any doubt), live or die. None of them are fleshed out enough to even remotely care about any of them - the heroes are always virtuous and brave, the villains are always bad and evil and the two not-so-evil Danes are daft and boring - one of them suspects something's not right from the very beginning, then witnesses a cold-blooded murder but instead of notifying his boss' (the single evil Dane) superiors and ending things right there and then, just plays along - endangering his life and that of his partner.
The one endearing quality of this book is its shortness - I finished it as quickly as I will have forgotten about it completely.
If you want a real thriller in an arctic setting, get "Ice Station Zebra" by Alistair MacLean and stay away from this book. ( )
  philantrop | May 12, 2014 |
This is one in the Justin Hall series of spy thrillers set in a current day geopolitical context. Once again an enjoyable action packed thriller set in the Far north of Canada. I was given this book via the library thing website member giveaways in mobi format for my kindle fire. ( )
  dlga | Nov 26, 2013 |
This was a good read. Kept me turning the pages and I definitely enjoyed the story. There were typos in the kindle version but the author didn't ask for feedback on them until the end of the book so I didn't keep track of them. Sorry Mr. Jones. All in all a good book. ( )
  JUDY4202 | Oct 3, 2013 |

Ethan Jones is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,621,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible