Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel by Ethan…

Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel (edition 2012)

by Ethan Jones

Member:LMHTWB
Title:Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel
Authors:Ethan Jones
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 334 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction/Literature, ebooks
Tags:fiction, Canada, Russians, Denmark, arctic, MG, Kindle

Arctic Wargame by Ethan Jones

Tripoli's Target by Ethan Jones (Big_B99)
    Big_B99: The second book (after Arctic Wargame) in the Justin Hall series.

Arctic Wargame by Ethan Jones is a novel set in northern Canada. It is about control of the Northwest Passage and the mineral resources under the Arctic Ocean. The initial premise of a war between Denmark and Canada over the Northwest Passage is not something that most people would take seriously. It makes for an unusual setting for a story about future war.

The story starts with the escape of Justin Hall from a Libyan prison. After the escape he returns to Canada and is purgatory within the office over the actions that occurred in Libya. Information comes to light about some ice breakers intruding in Canada's waters along the Northwest Passage. Eventually Justin is sent to investigate the matter with three other people from the office. During the investigation, they come up with evidence that the Danes have stockpiled weapons in Canada at various locations. One of the people on the trip is a spy. She leaves the other three members of the team to die in a remote part of the Canadian Arctic. Justin Hall is able to escape with the other two and is eventually rescued by the Americans who are stationed at Thule airbase in Greenland.

The other part of the story is the preparation of an army of prisoners in Denmark that will be used to invade Canada. These are all people who were sentenced to long terms for murder and other violent offenses and are told that their sentences will be forgiven if they take part in a secret mission for the Danish government.

I don't want to reveal any more of the background of the story, in that it will spoil the story for anyone who reads the book. There are some interesting plot twists that take place and other participants in the story that make the thought of a battle in the Canadian Arctic more plausible.

Overall this is a very good book for a vacation. It is a fairly quick read and is entertaining. ( )
  rufusraider | May 7, 2015 |
Arctic Wargame is a thrilling action-packed novel, and is the start to the popular Justin Hall series. The plot just kept twisting, and I could not put the book down until I had finished it. To summarize, Justin Hall is a Canadian Secret Agent who, after being demoted after a failed mission in North Africa, is eager to do anything but 'paper filing'. When he finds out about two mysterious and unknown ships that have entered Canadian waters, he volunteers to be the one to find and identify the ships, and hopefully find out what they were doing. And things just escalate from there. I will not go into spoilers, but there are many plot twists that keep the story going, as well as adding a bit of realism to the novel.

This is a great book, and the rest of the series promises to be even better. Although the plot was at some times predictable and there were a couple of inconsistencies, they did little to take away to the overall quality of the book. I highly recommend Arctic Wargame to those who enjoy spy thrillers, arctic thrillers, or simply books that are filled with action and plot twists.

Full Disclosure: I received a complementary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  Big_B99 | Apr 14, 2015 |
Incredibly silly premise: Russia and Denmark join forces to invade (via sneak attack) northern Canada in the search for oil. The author has obviously failed to do any research. First, neither country has any need to try such a silly thing. Second, drilling for oil in the arctic is a pretty big job. No way is Canada (or her allies) going to sit still for that. The author obviously has no understanding of military tactics or how helicopters work (I shared many of the outrageous bloopers in this book with my military historian husband--fun to laugh together, of course, but the author was not intentionally funny). Characters are cardboard cutouts. Motivations and relationships are flawed. Kind of a shame because the author is competent enough stringing words together. I notice that he's got continuing adventures with his main character. My suggestion would be that he do some serious research before dumping such nonsense on the public. ( )
  Carrie.Kilgore | May 23, 2014 |
Disappointing. For me, the plot was not realistic, and the characters remained superficial. SOme nice action scenes, but they could not save the book for me. ( )
  deblemrc | May 20, 2014 |
This review may contain spoilers!
Since I got this book in a give-away, I really hoped I'd like it. Alas, it was not to be.
First of all, the plot is thin. Thinner than a sheet of ice on a puddle. Evil Danes (or rather: a single evil Dane, being blackmailed by clichée russians) attacking Canada with a bunch of common criminals.
On the other side are some non-descript Canadians (our bland hero), some noble natives (one of them constantly drunk, corrupted by the evil white men!) and a compassionate American nurse which fight the evil criminal Danes. Oh, and there's the hero's love interest who happens to be around for no discernible reason - she adds nothing to the story, doesn't seem to have any useful talents and is usually just being an accessory.
I'm absolutely willing to suspend my disbelief; I might even have accepted the ridiculous notion of a small country like Denmark attacking Canada, an ally, if the storytelling hadn't been so incredibly boring. The entire story is so unbelievably predictable that only a feeling of obligation towards the author made me finish it.
The characters are so one-dimensional and uninteresting, I didn't even care who was going to win (even though there never was any doubt), live or die. None of them are fleshed out enough to even remotely care about any of them - the heroes are always virtuous and brave, the villains are always bad and evil and the two not-so-evil Danes are daft and boring - one of them suspects something's not right from the very beginning, then witnesses a cold-blooded murder but instead of notifying his boss' (the single evil Dane) superiors and ending things right there and then, just plays along - endangering his life and that of his partner.
The one endearing quality of this book is its shortness - I finished it as quickly as I will have forgotten about it completely.
If you want a real thriller in an arctic setting, get "Ice Station Zebra" by Alistair MacLean and stay away from this book. ( )
  philantrop | May 12, 2014 |

Ethan Jones is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,313,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible