Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel by Ethan…

Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel (edition 2012)

by Ethan Jones

Member:LMHTWB
Title:Arctic Wargame: A Justin Hall novel
Authors:Ethan Jones
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 334 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction/Literature, ebooks
Tags:fiction, Canada, Russians, Denmark, arctic, MG, Kindle

Arctic Wargame by Ethan Jones

Tripoli's Target by Ethan Jones (Big_B99)
    Big_B99: The second book (after Arctic Wargame) in the Justin Hall series.

Arctic Wargame (Justin Hall #1) by Ethan Jones is the first Justin Hall and Carrie book. I have read so many of them that I finally got around to reading the first one. I was not disappointed with it either. It has the same action packed, adventure, suspense, espionage, and intrigue that the other ones have. I love these books and I have never been a spy novel reader. These are agents from Canada, and I like our neighbors. lol. It is always a great plot with surprises and twists. The characters are well developed. I enjoy these books tremendously. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Sep 20, 2016 |
Arctic Wargame, by Ethan Jones, takes place in Canada's north where life and death are usually measured in degrees - as in temperature. Without giving away anything, I will say that the story is well written and imaginative. A plot placing Canada's sovereignty at risk has the novel's heroes, Justin Hall and Carrie O'Conner, both Canadian Intelligence Service agents, risking everything to defend the north from...well, I'll let you discover that for yourselves. BUT! it's not who you're thinking.

The story is compelling and hard to put down as there are very few natural 'quiet spots' in the plot. Jones has clearly researched the subject and as someone who revels in finding technical errors in plot or weapons, Arctic Wargame left me disappointed, as I could find neither.

I had acquired this novel through Library Thing and waited for my new Kindle to arrive before reading it. Thankfully, the Kindle's light weight made this 'hard to put down' novel, easier to read :).

Well done Ethan Jones. Now I expect that I will have to follow Justin Hall further along through his literary adventures to see what kind of trouble he gets into next.

www.daniellittle.com ( )
  Sturgeon | Aug 19, 2016 |
Arctic Wargame by Ethan Jones is a novel set in northern Canada. It is about control of the Northwest Passage and the mineral resources under the Arctic Ocean. The initial premise of a war between Denmark and Canada over the Northwest Passage is not something that most people would take seriously. It makes for an unusual setting for a story about future war.

The story starts with the escape of Justin Hall from a Libyan prison. After the escape he returns to Canada and is purgatory within the office over the actions that occurred in Libya. Information comes to light about some ice breakers intruding in Canada's waters along the Northwest Passage. Eventually Justin is sent to investigate the matter with three other people from the office. During the investigation, they come up with evidence that the Danes have stockpiled weapons in Canada at various locations. One of the people on the trip is a spy. She leaves the other three members of the team to die in a remote part of the Canadian Arctic. Justin Hall is able to escape with the other two and is eventually rescued by the Americans who are stationed at Thule airbase in Greenland.

The other part of the story is the preparation of an army of prisoners in Denmark that will be used to invade Canada. These are all people who were sentenced to long terms for murder and other violent offenses and are told that their sentences will be forgiven if they take part in a secret mission for the Danish government.

I don't want to reveal any more of the background of the story, in that it will spoil the story for anyone who reads the book. There are some interesting plot twists that take place and other participants in the story that make the thought of a battle in the Canadian Arctic more plausible.

Overall this is a very good book for a vacation. It is a fairly quick read and is entertaining. ( )
  rufusraider | May 7, 2015 |
Arctic Wargame is a thrilling action-packed novel, and is the start to the popular Justin Hall series. The plot just kept twisting, and I could not put the book down until I had finished it. To summarize, Justin Hall is a Canadian Secret Agent who, after being demoted after a failed mission in North Africa, is eager to do anything but 'paper filing'. When he finds out about two mysterious and unknown ships that have entered Canadian waters, he volunteers to be the one to find and identify the ships, and hopefully find out what they were doing. And things just escalate from there. I will not go into spoilers, but there are many plot twists that keep the story going, as well as adding a bit of realism to the novel.

This is a great book, and the rest of the series promises to be even better. Although the plot was at some times predictable and there were a couple of inconsistencies, they did little to take away to the overall quality of the book. I highly recommend Arctic Wargame to those who enjoy spy thrillers, arctic thrillers, or simply books that are filled with action and plot twists.

Full Disclosure: I received a complementary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  Big_B99 | Apr 14, 2015 |
Incredibly silly premise: Russia and Denmark join forces to invade (via sneak attack) northern Canada in the search for oil. The author has obviously failed to do any research. First, neither country has any need to try such a silly thing. Second, drilling for oil in the arctic is a pretty big job. No way is Canada (or her allies) going to sit still for that. The author obviously has no understanding of military tactics or how helicopters work (I shared many of the outrageous bloopers in this book with my military historian husband--fun to laugh together, of course, but the author was not intentionally funny). Characters are cardboard cutouts. Motivations and relationships are flawed. Kind of a shame because the author is competent enough stringing words together. I notice that he's got continuing adventures with his main character. My suggestion would be that he do some serious research before dumping such nonsense on the public. ( )
  Carrie.Kilgore | May 23, 2014 |

Ethan Jones is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,256,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible