Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

Tales of the City (1978)

by Armistead Maupin

Series: Tales of the City (1)

44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith (alic3_tj, cransell, Jannes)
    Jannes: Tales of the City was the main inspiration for McCall Smith Wehen he decided to write Scotland Street. The two books have a lot in common, including the episodic format, the light-hearted tone and the premise of a house and it's tenants.
    Logical Family: A Memoir by Armistead Maupin (scaredda)
    scaredda: Maupin gives a lot of reference about his characters in his Memoires.
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: Interlinked short stories set in and around an apartment block in 1930s Berlin. One of the short stories was the inspiration for the musical Cabaret.
    Bite Me by Christopher Moore (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Both books capture San Francisco in unique ways.
    The Lost Language of Cranes by David Leavitt (jonathankws)
    A Room in Chelsea Square by Michael Nelson (Anonymous user)
    The Emperor Waltz by Philip Hensher (jonathankws)

English (72)  French (5)  German (1)  All languages (78)
A pleasure read and very densely woven together for something adapted from a newspaper serial. I can make another check on my ground-breaking-lgbt-literature-to-read list. Months after reading not much still sticks out - the naivete of Mary Ann, her high school girlfriend's trendy apartment, The detective twist, and how much I despised Brian. This is one that I'll only read the sequels if I trip over them, tumble head over heels and wind up having the first page land on my forehead. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is one of the PBS Great American Reads 100 best books.
It tells the story of the various occupants of a building at Barbary Lane in SAN Francisco in the late 1970s. The writing style consists of short 3-4 page chapters and mostly dialogue between the characters. Characters include Anna Madrigal, the bohemian landlady, Mary Ann Stapleton, a secretary from Cleveland; Michael Tolliver, very gay and promiscuous waiter; Mona, an advertising executive, Brian, a womanizer; Norman, mystery man; Edgar Halcyon, owner of the Halcyon advertising agency; Frannie, his alcoholic wife;Dede his daughter, married to closeted Beauchamp...
All of the characters’ lives interact in the city for a period of 6 months. This is period before AIDS is in the news so promiscuity is a way of life.
IMHO, not a great book but I can understand how became an important book for the bohemian, gay west coast culture. ( )
  MaggieFlo | Oct 28, 2018 |
I'm thirty years late to this book, which was published in 1978. I loved it, but it's odd - one of the things I enjoyed most was the feeling of nostalgia that Maupin evokes for San Francisco of the late seventies. Lots of affectionate references to mood rings, reefers, Hamburger Helper, the passing of the hippies. It's as if he was already remembering the present as the past. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series, and to discovering Anna Madrigal's secret. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I'm certain other folks experience more of a rush than I did reading this first book in the series that inspired PBS to bring it to television.

I found myself scratching my head at times, as certain plot threads and scenes were rather oblique and difficult to puzzle out.

I do intend however to read the rest. ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
I have no idea why I hate this book so much. I just do. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
Un petit bijou d'humour et d'humanisme.
added by Ariane65 | editBiba

Armistead Maupinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lindholm, JuhaniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McDormand, FrancesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be seen in San Francisco.
--Oscar Wilde
For my mother and father and my family at The Duck House
Mary Ann Singleton was twenty-five years old when she saw San Francisco for the first time.
«Personne n’est heureux. Et puis qu’est-ce qu’être heureux ? Puisque le bonheur s’arrête dès qu’on rallume la lumière.»

«Parfois j’ai le sentiment que le bon Dieu a mis les femmes sur cette terre pour rappeler aux hommes l’heure des cocktails.»

«La nuit de Noël est la plus horrible des nuits pour rester seul au lit, car le réveil ne ressemble pas du tout aux pubs Kodak avec des gosses en pantoufles... Ca ressemble à n’importe quelle autre journée de l’année !»

«Il y a de meilleurs moyens que le sexe pour créer des liens profonds. Et durables.»

«Noël est une conspiration pour bien faire sentir aux célibataires qu’ils sont seuls.»

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060964049, Paperback)

Since 1976, Maupin's Tales of the City has etched itself upon the hearts and minds of its readers, both straight and gay. From a groundbreaking newspaper serial in the San Francisco Chronicle to a bestselling novel to a critically acclaimed PBS series, Tales (all six of them) contains the universe--if not in a grain of sand, then in one apartment house.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:07 -0400)

A naive young secretary forsakes Cleveland for San Francisco, tumbling headlong into a brave new world of laundromat lotharios and cutthroat debutantes.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,629,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible