Tales Of The City by Armistead Maupin

Tales Of The City (original 1978; edition 1984)

by Armistead Maupin

Member:kkb
Title:Tales Of The City
Authors:Armistead Maupin
Info:Black Swan (1984), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2012, San Francisco

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin (1978)

44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith (alic3_tj, cransell, Jannes)
    Jannes: Tales of the City was the main inspiration for McCall Smith Wehen he decided to write Scotland Street. The two books have a lot in common, including the episodic format, the light-hearted tone and the premise of a house and it's tenants.
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: Interlinked short stories set in and around an apartment block in 1930s Berlin. One of the short stories was the inspiration for the musical Cabaret.
    Bite Me: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Both books capture San Francisco in unique ways.
    Troll: A Love Story by Johanna Sinisalo (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: Similar to Tales of the City as this book has an episodic format set in an apartment block in Helsinki with an off-kilter plot including a mail order bride and a troll

English (52)  French (4)  German (1)  All languages (57)
This was a quick fun read, and I am tempted to read some of the others in the series. It's pretty light-hearted and loosely connected at first, but gradually comes together with more of a coherent plot connecting the main characters. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Sep 1, 2014 |
When I started this, I assumed that the chapters (originally published serially) were just delicious character vignettes, and I was afraid that they would just be too dated to identify with. As I progressed, the it became obvious that one can always connect with good characters, and suddenly the intertwined nature of the group morphed into a plot in which I was invested. So much fun. I was thrilled to hear that More Tales of the City carries on with the same characters. ( )
  alwright1 | Aug 11, 2014 |
I started this book over the weekend to take a break from all the vampire books I'm reading. I thought at first this book must have been written in the early 1990s because the descriptions of San Francisco are spot on. I was surprised to see that this book dates to 1978! My goodness -- the City hasn't changed! I'm laughing my ass off at this book. I'll have to read the other books by this author. It is so much fun to read a novel about a city that is just minutes away.

I would give this book a 20 if I could. The City and Peninsula haven't changed from when this book was published. The book might have well been published last year because so much of what is described is still around and still as wacky. The wonderful variety and types of characters portrayed in this book haven't changed either. The ending was quite a kicker! ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 9, 2014 |
I've never watched 'Sex In The City' or 'Ugly Betty', but I know enough about them to equate this book and the entire series to that vein. It's raunchy, gauche, loose, gay, crass even -- in every sense of the word, soap opera-ish! Oh, not to forget scandalous! But it's set in San Francisco in the 1970s (I'm not going to spell it out any clearer), so while I understand it's not everybody's cup of read, I enjoyed it.

* I'm on to Book 2: 'More Tales Of The City', and it gets better as more plot intricacies are revealed. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
This gossipy, almost-catty book about a network of incidentally connected persons in a campily imagined San Francisco was much more delicious when I was young (reading it at 14 or 15 with 60% of the references flying far over my head.) Upon re-read, it's thin in many spots, but still somehow delicious. A good beach read. ( )
  milkyfangs | Jun 27, 2014 |

Armistead Maupinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lindholm, JuhaniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McDormand, FrancesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be seen in San Francisco.
--Oscar Wilde
For my mother and father and my family at The Duck House
Mary Ann Singleton was twenty-five years old when she saw San Francisco for the first time.
«Personne n’est heureux. Et puis qu’est-ce qu’être heureux ? Puisque le bonheur s’arrête dès qu’on rallume la lumière.»

«Parfois j’ai le sentiment que le bon Dieu a mis les femmes sur cette terre pour rappeler aux hommes l’heure des cocktails.»

«La nuit de Noël est la plus horrible des nuits pour rester seul au lit, car le réveil ne ressemble pas du tout aux pubs Kodak avec des gosses en pantoufles... Ca ressemble à n’importe quelle autre journée de l’année !»

«Il y a de meilleurs moyens que le sexe pour créer des liens profonds. Et durables.»

«Noël est une conspiration pour bien faire sentir aux célibataires qu’ils sont seuls.»

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060964049, Paperback)

Since 1976, Maupin's Tales of the City has etched itself upon the hearts and minds of its readers, both straight and gay. From a groundbreaking newspaper serial in the San Francisco Chronicle to a bestselling novel to a critically acclaimed PBS series, Tales (all six of them) contains the universe--if not in a grain of sand, then in one apartment house.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:51 -0400)

A naive young secretary forsakes Cleveland for San Francisco, tumbling headlong into a brave new world of laundromat lotharios and cutthroat debutantes.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,331,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible