Shacked Up by Hank Edwards

Shacked Up (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hank Edwards

Member:Isan
Title:Shacked Up
Authors:Hank Edwards
Info:Loose Id LLC (2012), Kindle Edition, 143 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Reversi, Cops, Crime, Trauma

Shacked Up (Holed Up #2) by Hank Edwards (2012)

I had planned on writing one review for this book and it's prequel [b:Holed Up|6518106|Holed Up (Holed Up, #1)|Hank Edwards|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1244011671s/6518106.jpg|6709968], but after reading it I can't do that. [b:Holed Up|6518106|Holed Up (Holed Up, #1)|Hank Edwards|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1244011671s/6518106.jpg|6709968] was a hot, fun, FBI protection/stake out quickie that had my blood pumping and the sexual tension shooting in all directions and was easy to give 5 stars to. Not the sequel unfortunately...

While I did enjoy this book and am glad I read it, it just wasn't nearly as satisfying as the first book and really kind of meandered along. It was almost like the author didn't quite know what book he was writing. Is this a Morgan revenge book? Is this a stand alone new case for the FBI? Is this a romance? Are Pearce and Mark really going to make it? Are they really in love? I actually stopped caring after awhile.

And speaking of the romance aspect, it really pissed me off that Mark was such a pushover for Pearce's rotten behavior at the beginning/middle of the book. Yes, they had their little "fights" but all that came out of them were Mark tucking his tail between his legs and being thankful that the relationship was still a "go". I mean, the guy gave up everything for Pearce, ya know? Get mad! Be a drama queen and storm out sister! I wanted a big confrontation to happen and was sadly disappointed when one never did.

The redeeming factor in this book was the ending. I loved it. It was perfect and it gets 4 stars for the prequel and how much I like the characters and the ending alone.

Recommended if you like FBI Agents, hot M/M sex, secrets and lies and hero types. ( )
  gigi9988776 | Apr 9, 2013 |

gigi9988776 | Apr 9, 2013 |
As adorable as the cover is, and as much as I liked the first one, this book fell flat. The thriller part fizzles. There is little excitement. Much of it felt contrived, like the publisher demanded a sequel and Edwards had to come up with something.

I still love the characters. They're both so freakin' sweet it's ridiculous. Too sweet. Any time there was any tension between the two of them it was dealt with almost immediately. There was little conflict and all resolution. I wanted them to not be quite as mature for just five minutes. It's tiring reading about grown-ups who are always grown-ups in a romance. ;)

I do like how something from the first book was pulled in that had nothing to do with the first plot. I didn't like how they kept talking about the first book's plot and nothing related really happened. I thought the end "battle" was boring and too quick without enough danger and fear and peril.

But the romance between the men is so sweet as I said, and how the two handled their own personal issues was very nice. If I hadn't read the first book I would only give this two stars. Because I did, I'm giving it 2.5. I'm rounding up to three because I do think they're adorable and that's what I'm really looking for in a book. Mostly. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
I enjoyed this story. Sequels can be a hit and miss, but this one was a natural progression of two people who are both new at this "commitment" and moving in together concept. Their fears and reluctance to commit felt very realistic to me, ad I nenjoyed watching them work through them.

Overall, Hank's writing continues to improve. He has always told a good story, but there were little touches in this one that really set it above its predecessors. The secondary characters added just the right touch, none were stereotypes or shallow. Even Pearce's office rivalries felt unforced. ( )
  AB_Gayle | Mar 30, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editThe Novel Approach, Tina (Oct 8, 2013)

added by gsc55 | editJoyfully Jay, Sammy (Jun 5, 2013)

FBI Special Agent Aaron Pearce is recovering from his injuries suffered while on assignment in Detroit, stuck in the offices of the FBI running database searches for agents in the field. He is bored and edgy, and takes it out on those closest to him, including Mark Beecher, who lives with him.

While Mark cannot deny the heat between them, he struggles to find his place in Washington, DC, and in Pearce's apartment. He notices a car following him back and forth to work and panics, certain it's the terrorist mole Robert Morgan who escaped them in Detroit.

As Mark and Pearce try to identify the driver, Pearce is drawn into an investigation concerning the disappearance of data discs from government employees. During research, he discovers the catering company where Mark works may be at the root of the thefts, and, when the company is booked to cater a prestigious party, Pearce realizes it is the perfect setup for an undercover operation. He doesn't think twice about disobeying orders to stay out of the field, and risks not only his career, but his life as well, to join Mark in an undercover operation that will change their lives forever. [Loose-Id]

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible