Vanished by Tim Weaver

Vanished (2012)

by Tim Weaver

English (6)  Italian (1)  All (7)
Having previously read the first two in the David Raker series, I can say the author has really hit his stride with #3. The story revolves around David Raker, missing person finder, who can't stop once he starts and Sam Wren who gets on the train and then seems to just vanish. Plot was well thought out, a real page turner. This book tones down the violence & choppiness I disliked in the first book of the series. It also makes one think about how much of your public life is on record for anyone with a little know-how to access. ( )
  MM_Jones | Sep 5, 2017 |
"All of his novels were so fast-paced that the reader was compelled to turn the pages in a non-stop effort to reach the end of the book. The final page often produced a totally unexpected plot twist that would invariably leave even his most die-hard fans surprised. His early books contained some violence that matched the era in which they were written, though this was considerably toned down as plots centred more on circumstantial situations to create the high degree of tension that was the hallmark of his writing. Sex was never explicit and, though often hinted at, seldom happened" This is a Wikipedia description of James Hadley Chase, a prolific quaintly English crime writer of the 1950's, 60's 70's His novels were always tightly constructed, intricate without being overly complicated but at the same time fast and exciting reads. I do hope Tim Weaver will not mind when I compare his style of writing to that of Chase but with very modern twists and themes. From the opening paragraphs- of "Vanished" we the reader are immediately drawn in...."Healy looked down at the temperature readout as he pulled up outside the estate. Almost twenty degrees. It felt hotter than that. He'd had the air conditioning on all the way from the station but, on the journey over, nothing had cooled His sleeves were rolled up, his top button undone, but the car was still stifling. Even in the middle of the night, under cover of darkness, the heat continued to cling on....." And so we ask...who is Healy and why is he out in the middle of a hot and sultry English summer night?

There are no wasted words in Vanished every page is readable and exciting drawing you in and inviting you to stay. The central character in all Weaver's books is David Raker an ex journalist who now uses his inquisitive skills hiring himself out as a kind of private detective to search for those individuals who have disappeared, desperately sought by loved ones who really only want to know why? Julia Wren hires Raker to find her husband Sam who disappeared some months ago, took an early morning London tube ride and was never seen again. Layer by layer, like the peeling of an onion, the twists and turns of this excellent thriller proceed at a terrific pace. The London underground/railway is used to great effect for the action scenes; the police are searching for The Snatcher and as his name suggests he removes his victims with stealth and cunning, is there any connection between this killer and the disappearance of Sam Wren? In the final chapters just when we the reader thought the killer had been successfully identified there is a Hadley Chase moment and a "totally unexpected plot twist." My favourite character and one who demands greatest sympathy is ex London met detective Colm Healy, he was one of the Met's best detectives - until the unsolved murders of a mother and her twin daughters consumed his career, his family and his life. Healy's world finally collapses when his own daughter Leanne disappears, soon to be the subject of a murder enquiry. Raker and Healy have a tenuous relationship and one can never be sure if the broken and distraught detective will finally succumb to suicidal thoughts.

As an ardent reviewer and keen blogger I awarded this book with four stars simply because the early David Raker lacked a little of the oomph, vitality and sparkle of later adventures (What remains;David Raker 6 and Broken Heart;David Raker 7 are exceptional) Tim Weaver is an extraordinary talent whose love of writing and his wonderful storytelling ability is beyond reproach and I look forward with great anticipation the new Raker adventure due for release at the end of July 2017. ( )
  runner56 | May 30, 2017 |
I absolutely love Tim Weaver's David Raker novels. Raker is a former journalist who now finds people who go missing. Weaver is brilliant at weaving an intricate story filled with thrilling twists and turns. Vanished is a book you never want to stop reading -- yet one you don't want to end either. He's a bigger hit in the UK, but expect to hear more of him in the U.S. as his star power gets noticed here. If you love thrillers, read this and his other novels. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Jan 13, 2015 |
Absolute page-turner, more twists and turns than a 'weaving' mountain road! ( )
  seawolfsanctuary | Jan 12, 2014 |
Well this had me hooked from the first page!

David Raker is a compelling and fascinating character. "Vanished" is the third David Raker novel. Having not read the first two did not diminish the story for me and that is the sign of a very talented writer.

Set in London and around the Tube station network, the mystery unfolds with one man's disappearance from a train journey. Sam Wren gets on a tube train one morning in December, and never gets off again. He vanishes in to thin air. His wife hires David Raker, a private investigator, to try and trace him or discover what happened to him.

But Sam isn't the only man to vanish. Men are disappearing from their homes There is no sign of them, no forensic evidence....just a pile of shaved hair at the bottom of their beds. The police don't think the two disappearances are connected, but Raker isn't so sure.

The pace of this novel is relentless. Tim Weaver manages to leave the reader almost breathless, so great is his descriptive writing and sense of malevolence. I found myself frantically turning the pages to see how things panned out. Weaver isn't frightened of dealing with frankly ghastly characters living on the fringes of society, but he doesn't sensationalise, just builds the tension more and more. I was literally scared and gasped on more than one occasion and it takes a lot to scare me.

Now I just have to buy the first and second David Raker novels! ( )
  teresa1953 | Aug 15, 2012 |
'The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.' Deuteronomy 24:16
For Lucy

For millions of Londoners, the morning of 16 December is just like any other. But not for Sam Wren. An hour after leaving home, he gets onto a tube train - and never gets off again. No eyewitnesses, no trace of him on security cameras. Six months later and desperate for answers, Sam's wife Julia hires David Raker to track him down.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,843,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible