I Survived the Attacks of September 11th,…

I Survived the Attacks of September 11th, 2001 (Historical Fiction) (original 2012; edition 2010)

by Lauren Tarshis

9212213,861 (4)1
Member:BethanyNorris
Title:I Survived the Attacks of September 11th, 2001 (Historical Fiction)
Authors:Lauren Tarshis
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2012), Paperback, 112 pages
Collections:Other Books (Poetry, His Fic, Fantasy, Non-Fiction, Bio)

I Survived the Attacks of September 11th, 2001 (I Survived, Book 6) by Lauren Tarshis (2012)

This book tells the story of a boy who goes to New York in search of his uncle after hearing he can't play football anymore, but witnesses the planes flying into the Twin Towers. He ends up surviving with his uncle and father, but not everyone he knows does.
  mmcgowan | Apr 6, 2018 |
In the book, I Survived the Attacks of September 11, 2001 there is not a central lesson. There is a theme however- September 11, 2001. This book simply gives young readers an idea of what that tragic day was like for those bystanders who were at the scene and saw the horrors up close.
The book starts off with introducing the main character, Eleven-year-old Lucas Calley. Lucas has loved playing football ever since his Dad’s friend Uncle Benny introduced him to the sport. Lucas’ parents support their son’s athletic endeavors until he sustains his third concussion in two years. His parents were made aware about the many deaths caused by repeated concussions and decide Lucas should stop playing. Lucas is upset, but he is sure Uncle Benny can convince his parents to change their minds, so he skips school on September 11, 2001 and takes the train to New York City to enlist Uncle Benny’s help. When Lucas gets to the fire station where Uncle Benny works, Lucas and Uncle Benny step outside to talk. As they are talking, a huge jet airplane zoomed into view. The narrator then goes into detail about the events leading up to the attack. It is mentioned how at the sight of the low flying plane everyone on the sidewalk stopped what they were doing and looked up. The plane barely missed the tops of some buildings. Its engines made a loud, screeching sound. The plane turned slightly and then began to move faster heading directly for one of the Twin Towers. Suddenly, the plane plunged like a knife into the side of the North Tower of the World Trade Center. Shortly after the plane crashed into the tower, the sound of sirens filled the air.
Lucas and Uncle Billy run back inside the fire station. Uncle Billy and his team suit up and head out to the scene. Lucas is told to stay put. Wanting to do something to help, Lucas decides to clear the dishes from the table and clean the ones in the sink. The author then provides the reader with some background information on the trade towers as Lucas listens to the reporter on the T.V. The reporter states, “The towers were built in 1970. They took four years to build. They could withstand winds of 140 miles per hour. At 110 floors each, they were once the tallest buildings in the world and about 50,000 people worked there.” It is also through Lucas listening to the reporter that the reader finds out that a second plane crashes into the South Tower of the World Trade Center at 9:03 a.m. After hearing this news, Lucas runs outside of the fire station and towards the towers looking for his dad. The narrator then goes into detail about what the minutes after the second plane crash were like on the streets. It is mentioned that people crowded the streets. Some were running from the direction of the towers while others were standing, staring at the fires above them. Some of the people who were running were soaked in sweat, their clothes tattered. Nobody running was carrying a purse or a briefcase. The only noise was sirens. Parts of the planes were in the street, one even on top of a pickup truck. There were people sitting on the sidewalks being treated by paramedics.
As Lucas approaches the towers, he hears his father yelling his name. They reunite. While doing so, there is suddenly a deep roaring noise and the ground begins to tremble. Alex’s dad looks up then grabs Lucas by the arm and shouts run. They run into a convenience store and take cover. Suddenly, there was the sound of shattering glass and a powerful blast of hot wind. The author then goes into detail about what it was like after the South tower collapsed. All around was pure darkness. People’s noses were filled with gritty dust. It was hard for them to breath. Dust was everywhere. It coated everyone. Twisted steel beams and big chunks of concrete filled the streets. Cars were on fire. Fire trucks and ambulances were smashed. A few weak sirens squawked.
The story ends with Lucas and his dad marching North, away from the towers, away from the scene of so much destruction. The farther away they walked from the towers, the dust cleared. At that point in time, Lucas realized that it did not matter how far they walked or how much time had passed because nothing would ever be the same again. This scene implies the significance of September 11, 2001. ( )
  BrianneHollister | Mar 26, 2018 |
I cried. This is the first time Tarshis made me cry. Maybe because I remember it all too well or maybe it was just better than her other books, but this book is tarnished only by the obnoxious last minute save of a character you were led to believe was dead. I'm starting to realize that there are never any "real" stakes in Tarshis's books. Yeah, hundreds and thousands of people die in the events she writes about, but the main character(s) always come out unscathed. ( )
  benuathanasia | Mar 22, 2018 |
I brought home some books from my school library to read over break so I could be a better librarian for them. These books are insanely popular with the fourth and fifth graders. I wanted to try one about an event I was very familiar with, just to see how it matched up, historical-fiction-wise. This one was fairly interesting, but I think I could only finish it because I knew the story. I don’t know how informative or interesting it would be to a kid who has no frame of reference for this event. It seemed more focused on the characters and less on the event, and how the event impacted them. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jan 9, 2018 |
The "I Survived" series are great historical fiction chapter books. They are easy reads and not very lengthy so young students can get through them rather easily. This particular book was about the 9/11 attacks and it is told in the perspective of a little boy named Lucas. Although this book is fiction, it does a great job at putting so many facts about how that day unfolded. Reading it in a child's perspective too was very interesting. This would be a great story for children to read to learn about 9/11, but not throwing information at them. ( )
  Ashley.Setzekorn | Nov 9, 2016 |
For Jennie Ross
A bright blue sky stretched over New York City.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0545207002, Paperback)

On the day that shocks the world, one boy just wants to find his dad. A powerful addition to the gripping I SURVIVED series.

The only thing Lucas loves more than football is his Uncle Benny, his dad's best friend at the fire department where they both work. Benny taught Lucas everything about football. So when Lucas's parents decide the sport is too dangerous and he needs to quit, Lucas has to talk to his biggest fan.

So the next morning, Lucas takes the train to the city instead of the bus to school. It's a bright, beautiful day in New York. But just as Lucas arrives at his uncle's firehouse, everything changes -- and nothing will ever be the same again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:21 -0400)

When Lucas decides to skip school because he wants to discuss football with a firefighter friend of his father, he finds himself caught up in the terrorist attacks on New York City.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,549,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible