Red Ribbons by Louise Phillips

Red Ribbons (edition 2012)

by Louise Phillips

Member:Eamonn12
Title:Red Ribbons
Authors:Louise Phillips
Info:Hachetter Books Ireland (2012), Edition: Abridged edition, Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:Crime Novel

Red Ribbons by Louise Phillips

3.5 Debut novel set in Ireland. A young girl's body is found, her body has been staged, her hair braided and tied with a brilliant red bow. D. I. O'Connell brings Kate, a profiler into the case and she becomes their best hope of catching the murderer. I think I am just getting tired of all these stories told from multiple perspectives, in this one we hear from the D. I., Kate, the murderer himself and a young woman who has been in a psychiatric hospital for fifteen years. Her story was my favorite because for the longest time I couldn't figure out where her story fit.

Well written for sure, the first part I felt maybe a little too, slow, too long but the premise was an interesting one as is the way the connections are made. Kate herself is an interesting character, her marriage difficulties, an event in her past that helps her decode this case, and her doggedness, her intelligence. I did enjoy how all the threads were put together and the ending was very tense, but much of the story was predictable. A good first novel though and I expect this author will get better and better.

ARC from publisher. ( )
  Beamis12 | Nov 28, 2016 |
AUTHOR Phillips, Louise
TITLE: Red Ribbons
DATE READ: 02/19/2016
RATING 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS Crime Fiction / 2012 / Hachette Books / 405 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE:
CHARACTERS Profiler : Kate Pearson
TIME/PLACE: 2011, Dublin,Ireland
FIRST LINES He could have taken a direct flight from Dublin to Galileo Galilei airport in Pisa.
COMMENTS: Written from 3 major viewpoints: 1) William Cronly -- middle-aged man who has never recovered from an unidentified trauma occurring in Italy when he was a child; 2) Profiler Kate Pearson also a mother of young son & wife to Declan who is not very happy w/ all of Kate's intense focus on job before family and 3) Ellie -- a middle-aged woman who has been institutionalized for the past 15 yrs after her daughter died; Ellie had set the caravan on fire that they lived in. At first I thought this was just going to be "another" story of child abduction/killings etc but there were some unique story points that held my interest. Good read! ( )
  pammykn | Feb 19, 2016 |
I don’t know who recommended this one to me but good call. It’s an interesting psychological thriller with a man who kills two girls and how he’s found out, the story is told from three points of view, the killer, the criminal psychologist and a woman who is in a psychiatric institution who might know more about the murders than others think.

I liked this one, I liked the characters and their flaws and how the killer was actually clever until he slipped up just enough. Worth reading. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 25, 2015 |
A very well-written crime thriller, this. It certainly travels at a fast pace and holds a reader’s interest to the end. A little above the usual too, as regards the psychology of the characters. Can’t say much more because of the nature of the genre (well, the butler did it). If you liked Kay Scarpetta and Sara Lund, you’ll like this.
Also for Irish readers it’s good to see the Garda and Dublin feature, instead of New York and LA all the time. ( )
  Eamonn12 | Dec 19, 2012 |

A missing school girl is found buried in the Dublin mountains, hands clasped together in prayer, two red ribbons in her hair. Twenty four hours later, a second school girl is found in a shallow grave - her body identically arranged. The hunt for the liller is on. The police call in profiler Dr Kate Pearson to get inside the mind of the murderer before he strikes again. But there's one vital connection to be made - Ellie Brady, a mother institutionalised fifteen years earlier for the murder of her daughter Amy. What connects the death of Amy Brady to the murdered school girls? As Kate Pearson begins to unravel the truth, danger is closer than she knows...… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible