The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyage) by…

The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyage) (edition 2013)

by Robert V. S. Redick

Member:lostinalibrary
Title:The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyage)
Authors:Robert V. S. Redick
Info:Del Rey (2013), Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:epic fantasy, Chathrand, end of series

The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyage) by Robert V. S. Redick

A most satisfying conclusion to the best fantasy series I've read in a couple of years.

Reddick manages to bring his huge cast of characters and byzantine plot both to satisfying and just conclusions, that don't elide the complexity or sadness that true endings can bring.

Too many fantasy novels are content with a pat, "apocalypse averted, happily ever after" ending, and I was immeasurably pleased in the ways that Reddick avoided this, whilst still giving something satisfying, mature, human. I can't lie, I had a lump in my throat and was genuinely sad at the thought of leaving these characters and this world behind - there have been so, so few novels/worlds that have left me with this feeling. Maybe four or five others I can think of, that's genuinely the highest praise I can give. ( )
  patrickgarson | Jul 21, 2013 |
I received this book as a Goodreads ARC giveaway. I did not really like this book and could not finish it ( )
  slvoight | Mar 31, 2013 |
The Night of the Swarm is the the fourth and final book in RV Redick's epic fantasy series, The Chathrand Voyage Quartet, and what a fitting end to a brilliant series. This will be a short review because I don't want to give anything away except to say most of the characters have survived the long voyage but what has happened so far is child's play to what is coming and it's coming fast.

Often, in long epics like this (this last book alone is over 500 pages), the author loses focus somewhere in the middle but not so Redick. The story never flags or loses its way. Although the story takes place on mainly on board ship, Redick has built a world as complex and fascinating as any I have encountered in fantasy and I read a lot of fantasy, the characters are well developed and not the usual suspects of fantasy epics, and the story is a real page turner. My one criticism of the book - too short, I want more! ( )
  lostinalibrary | Jan 20, 2013 |

“If any ambitious TV producers are looking for [a] multi-part fantasy to adapt after the success of HBO’s Game of Thrones . . . Robert Redick’s impressive Chathrand Voyage series . . . has it all.”—SFX

Robert V. S. Redick brings his acclaimed fantasy series The Chathrand Voyage to a triumphant close that merits comparison to the work of such masters as George R. R. Martin, Philip Pullman, and J.R.R. Tolkien himself. The evil sorcerer Arunis is dead, yet the danger has not ended. For as he fell, beheaded by the young warrior-woman Thasha Isiq, Arunis summoned the Swarm of Night, a demonic entity that feasts on death and grows like a plague. If the Swarm is not destroyed, the world of Alifros will become a vast graveyard. Now Thasha and her comrades—the tarboy Pazel Pathkendle and the mysterious wizard Ramachni—begin a quest that seems all but impossible. Yet there is hope: One person has the power to stand against the Swarm: the great mage Erithusmé. Long thought dead, Erithusmé lives, buried deep in Thasha’s soul. But for the mage to live again, Thasha Isiq may have to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:47 -0400)

Heroes and star-crossed lovers Pavel and Thasha confront the Swarm, a nightmarish supernatural force that threatens to destroy their world.

10 wanted3 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible