Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum 19) by…

Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum 19) (edition 2012)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:riverwillow
Title:Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum 19)
Authors:Janet Evanovich

GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS Mystery/2012/RandomHouse/356LP
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: #19
TIME/PLACE: Present/ Trenton , NJ
CHARACTERS: Stephanie Plum/Bounty Hunter
FIRST LINES: " I don't know why we gotta sit here baking in your car in the middle of the day, in the middle of the summer, in the middle of this crummy neighborhood," Lula said.
COMMENTS: I enjoy reading the Stephanie Plum books (usually) every year…somehow I got a tad behind & kept taking this out but never being able to get to it. Yesterday I had a lengthy dental appt & started & finished this book. It was just the right book at just the right time. These books are always fun for me … even if each book is a tad the same as the previous one, a car blows up, excuse me, correction: one of Stephanie's cars blows up, dinners at the Plum home where Stephanie's mother seems to imbibe a lot of very strong iced tea, hey think she even forgoes the ice and sips it neat, Lula is usually on a diet that includes visits to Cluck in a Basket and other fine eatery establishments focusing on healthy dining, Grandma Mazur regales us w/ her active social life that are highlighted by viewings at the local funeral homes… And there is the push-pull between her love interests of Morelli -- the hometown cop and the dark, exotic Ranger. Heck, I'll admit it each book is worth it for me just to hear Ranger say "Babe…" Something about that man… Despite the formula for each book, I am not complaining and expect to be entertained w/ all these facets of what makes up a Stephanie Plum book. AND… there is new story line for each one. In this one a local nursing home administrator has skipped out of the hospital after gall bladder surgery … he also took all the $ from the nursing home, $5 million dollars. This was another fun romp and the plot did have some surprises in it. ( )
  pammykn | Sep 4, 2014 |
I still like these books but it is more of a quick piece of mental candy to read and toss aside. Stephanie still has the hots for Ranger and she allows herself to spend time with him professionally even though she is with Morelli and he certainly wants more out of the relationship. At least in this book she is realizing that she has nothing long term and an unstable career as a bond enforcement officer. The mystery of the missing person is solved by the end of the book and more people than usual have their cars set on fire. A light enjoyable read but no real depth to the story or overall story arc. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
this one was a bit more gruesome, but it was still ridiculously funny ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 29, 2014 |
Stephanie Plum at her best -- funny and irreverent, incompetent and yet oddly successful. The ancillary characters get weirder all the time, but I listened to the audiobook while on a long drive and it's just the thing to pass the time. I thought this one was better than the last couple. ( )
  TerriBooks | Mar 17, 2014 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

Continuing the disastrous fortune of Stephanie Plum, this book has a great mystery as Plum tries to figure how people are disappearing from the local hospital. Riddled with other little mysterious nuances, I found the book light, fun and a delightful read. Towards the middle, things started to become clear, and the mystery's conclusion felt predictable. I loved the zing of adding "Tiki" in the mix, as it created some sort of fun psycho atmosphere, haha! The situations Plum ends up in add good action and suspense as she encounters the tough, crazy, or just plain deadbeat side of society, as per her job entails.

"Even when I was a kid I had a knack for pushing the boundaries of common sense and normal behavior. I walked into the boys' bathroom in grade school because I was convinced I was invisible. I jumped off the roof of my parents' garage because I thought I could fly. And that was the tip of the iceberg.
And I'm still pushing boundaries, flopping around in water that's over my head. And here's the scary part that I wouldn't say out loud to anyone ...I'm a little addicted to it." (210)

Character-wise, I found everyone, old and new, to have great and distinctive personalities, which with this series, really make the book. Stephanie continues to be ever vigilant in catching her targets, her grandmother takes on the role of a saucy spy, Lula is her usual outgoing wild self, which I loved, and Morelli & Ranger to just get in the way. I know Ranger helps Plum out a lot throughout the book, but it's their relationship that I found got in the way. Neither Plum's relationship with Morelli, nor Ranger, seem to develop in this book. This unfortunately also means that the series as a whole didn't develop much, as there are no startling revelations that could impact anything in Plum's life. Morelli makes several references towards love and marriage, but truthfully with Plum still having some sort of feelings towards Ranger, I can't see that happening any time soon. In all, this book is a nice installment in the Plum series and should be a great read if your looking for a little adventure and fun.

First Line: " 'I don't know why we gotta sit here baking in your car in the midle of the day, in the middle of the summer, in the middle of this crummy neighborhood,' Lula said." (3)

Last Line: "I need a date." (302)
---------------
Quotes

" 'Just remember who got you into the building,' briggs said. 'I want to be there when you get Cubbin. And I don't want to be left out of the television show either. Little people are sexy now. Have you seen Game of Thrones? We're hot.' " (154)

" 'Say what? I'm a 'ho, not Donald Trump. I don't got that kind of money. Would you be willing to hold a mortgage?'
'We should go now,' I said to Lula." (162) ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
I DON'T KNOW why we gotta sit here baking in your car in the middle of the day, in the middle of the summer, in the middle of this crummy neighborhood, Lula said.

New Jersey bounty hunter Stephanie Plum is certain of three truths: People don’t just vanish into thin air. Never anger old people. And don’t do what Tiki tells you to do.

After a slow summer of chasing low-level skips for her cousin Vinnie’s bail bonds agency, Stephanie Plum finally lands an assignment that could put her checkbook back in the black. Geoffrey Cubbin, facing trial for embezzling millions from Trenton’s premier assisted-living facility, has mysteriously vanished from the hospital after an emergency appendectomy. Now it’s on Stephanie to track down the con man. Unfortunately, Cubbin has disappeared without a trace, a witness, or his money-hungry wife. Rumors are stirring that he must have had help with the daring escape . . . or that maybe he never made it out of his room alive. Since the hospital staff’s lips seem to be tighter than the security, and it’s hard for Stephanie to blend in to assisted living, Stephanie’s Grandma Mazur goes in undercover. But when a second felon goes missing from the same hospital, Stephanie is forced into working side by side with Trenton’s hottest cop, Joe Morelli, in order to crack the case.

The real problem is, no Cubbin also means no way to pay the rent. Desperate for money—or maybe just desperate—Stephanie accepts a secondary job guarding her secretive and mouthwatering mentor Ranger from a deadly Special Forces adversary. While Stephanie is notorious for finding trouble, she may have found a little more than she bargained for this time around. Then again—a little food poisoning, some threatening notes, and a bridesmaid’s dress with an excess of taffeta never killed anyone . . . or did they? If Stephanie Plum wants to bring in a paycheck, she’ll have to remember: No guts, no glory. . . .

After a slow summer of chasing low-level skips for her cousin Vinnie's bail bonds agency, Stephanie Plum finally lands an assignment that could put her checkbook back in the black. Geoffrey Cubbin, facing trial for embezzling millions from Trenton's premier assisted-living facility, has mysteriously vanished from the hospital after an emergency appendectomy. Now it's on Stephanie to track down the con man. The problem is, Cubbin has disappeared without a trace, a witness, or his money-hungry wife. Rumors are stirring that he must have had help with the daring escape, or that maybe he never made it out of his room alive. Since the hospital staff's lips seem to be tighter than the security, and it is hard for Stephanie to blend in to assisted living, Stephanie's Grandma Mazur goes in undercover. But when a second felon goes missing from the same hospital, Plum is forced into working side by side with Trenton's hottest cop, Joe Morelli, in order to crack the case. Solving the case is harder than she imagined and to make sure the rent is paid she takes on a second job, protecting her mentor Ranger from a deadly special forces adversary.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,733,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible