Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich

Notorious Nineteen

by Janet Evanovich, Lorelei King (Reader)

1,029None8,221 (3.5)66
Member:gmillar
Title:Notorious Nineteen
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Other authors:Lorelei King (Reader)
Info:
Collections:Books on CD listened to
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction

Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich

Stephanie Plum at her best -- funny and irreverent, incompetent and yet oddly successful. The ancillary characters get weirder all the time, but I listened to the audiobook while on a long drive and it's just the thing to pass the time. I thought this one was better than the last couple. ( )
  TerriBooks | Mar 17, 2014 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

Continuing the disastrous fortune of Stephanie Plum, this book has a great mystery as Plum tries to figure how people are disappearing from the local hospital. Riddled with other little mysterious nuances, I found the book light, fun and a delightful read. Towards the middle, things started to become clear, and the mystery's conclusion felt predictable. I loved the zing of adding "Tiki" in the mix, as it created some sort of fun psycho atmosphere, haha! The situations Plum ends up in add good action and suspense as she encounters the tough, crazy, or just plain deadbeat side of society, as per her job entails.

"Even when I was a kid I had a knack for pushing the boundaries of common sense and normal behavior. I walked into the boys' bathroom in grade school because I was convinced I was invisible. I jumped off the roof of my parents' garage because I thought I could fly. And that was the tip of the iceberg.
And I'm still pushing boundaries, flopping around in water that's over my head. And here's the scary part that I wouldn't say out loud to anyone ...I'm a little addicted to it." (210)

Character-wise, I found everyone, old and new, to have great and distinctive personalities, which with this series, really make the book. Stephanie continues to be ever vigilant in catching her targets, her grandmother takes on the role of a saucy spy, Lula is her usual outgoing wild self, which I loved, and Morelli & Ranger to just get in the way. I know Ranger helps Plum out a lot throughout the book, but it's their relationship that I found got in the way. Neither Plum's relationship with Morelli, nor Ranger, seem to develop in this book. This unfortunately also means that the series as a whole didn't develop much, as there are no startling revelations that could impact anything in Plum's life. Morelli makes several references towards love and marriage, but truthfully with Plum still having some sort of feelings towards Ranger, I can't see that happening any time soon. In all, this book is a nice installment in the Plum series and should be a great read if your looking for a little adventure and fun.

First Line: " 'I don't know why we gotta sit here baking in your car in the midle of the day, in the middle of the summer, in the middle of this crummy neighborhood,' Lula said." (3)

Last Line: "I need a date." (302)
---------------
Quotes

" 'Just remember who got you into the building,' briggs said. 'I want to be there when you get Cubbin. And I don't want to be left out of the television show either. Little people are sexy now. Have you seen Game of Thrones? We're hot.' " (154)

" 'Say what? I'm a 'ho, not Donald Trump. I don't got that kind of money. Would you be willing to hold a mortgage?'
'We should go now,' I said to Lula." (162) ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

Last Line: "I need a date." (302)
---------------
Quotes

'We should go now,' I said to Lula." (162) ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Pretty standard entry in this series, with all the expected plot elements from exploding cars to Stephanie's continuing inability to choose between her stable cop boyfriend and the guy who keeps bugging her apartment while she's sleeping. (Such a tough call, right?) But a fun lighter read nonetheless...I just wish Evanovich would let her characters evolve a little more instead of sticking so closely to a formula with every single new book. ( )
  mrlzbth | Feb 5, 2014 |
Make your mind up already! ( )
  libgirl69 | Jan 28, 2014 |
I DON'T KNOW why we gotta sit here baking in your car in the middle of the day, in the middle of the summer, in the middle of this crummy neighborhood, Lula said.

After a slow summer of chasing low-level skips for her cousin Vinnie's bail bonds agency, Stephanie Plum finally lands an assignment that could put her checkbook back in the black. Geoffrey Cubbin, facing trial for embezzling millions from Trenton's premier assisted-living facility, has mysteriously vanished from the hospital after an emergency appendectomy. Now it's on Stephanie to track down the con man. The problem is, Cubbin has disappeared without a trace, a witness, or his money-hungry wife. Rumors are stirring that he must have had help with the daring escape, or that maybe he never made it out of his room alive. Since the hospital staff's lips seem to be tighter than the security, and it is hard for Stephanie to blend in to assisted living, Stephanie's Grandma Mazur goes in undercover. But when a second felon goes missing from the same hospital, Plum is forced into working side by side with Trenton's hottest cop, Joe Morelli, in order to crack the case. Solving the case is harder than she imagined and to make sure the rent is paid she takes on a second job, protecting her mentor Ranger from a deadly special forces adversary.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,450,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible