Summer and Bird by Katherine Catmull

Summer and Bird (edition 2012)

by Katherine Catmull

Member:Bitter_Grace
Title:Summer and Bird
Authors:Katherine Catmull
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

Summer and Bird by Katherine Catmull

WATCH BOOK TRAILER

Sisters Summer and Bird wake up one morning to find their parents missing. A message leads the girls to the forest, where they enter the magical and dangerous world of Down. While searching for their parents, the sisters go on separate quests to find the bird queen, vanquish the bird-swallowing Puppeteer, and guide the birds to their
true home.
  KilmerMSLibrary | May 19, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I usually love a Children's fantasy novel, but I found this one darker and more melancholy than most. When Summer and Bird's parents go missing, they follow them into Down to try and find them. Summer and Bird are separated early and must go throw their own adventures. Summer is helped by an old man named Ben, while Bird makes her way to the Swan's castle, where she is taken captive (though willingly) by the Puppeteer who promises her that she can be Queen of the Birds. By the end, I was glad I read it, but it took me a long time to get through, and I probably would have given it up, if I hadn't received it as an Early Reviewer book. I think this is a case of Ranganathan's "Every book it's reader" law. I was not this book's reader. I saw it described elsewhere as being similar to Neil Gaiman's work, and that makes sense to me. If you like that sort of darker fantasy, this book will likely appeal to you. ( )
  cransell | Dec 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I felt this novel had so much promise and an amazing story to tell, but the pace was too slow and the characters were not interesting. I found my attention waning as I read. It didn't keep me reading much to my disappointment. I wanted to love it, but found it wasn't a fit for me. ( )
  C.Ibarra | Sep 19, 2013 |

I spent ages looking for this book and I finally got it for my birthday, I was so happy! Well...

This is a very difficult book to rate. First of all, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the writing itself - it's beautiful and it manages to be both whimsical and serious, which is a feat unto itself. Those 2 stars? That's all the writing.

The thing is, the pretty writing was all that kept me reading. I couldn't connect with the characters at all, there was little to differentiate the way the sisters were written - oh, there were details, one looked like this, the other like that, one was ambitious and more bird-like, the other more human and worried about the family, but their voices? There wasn't much to tell one from the other. And what characterization there was ended up too odd, too alien to allow me to connect with them - granted, it serves the plot, but it does not serve the reader.

The plot had so much potential! An evil puppeteer who wastes herself away to become more bird-like and feasts on birds for the same purpose. An exiled bird queen. Two little girls with a mysterious heritage. But it was SO slow!! The pacing was terrible, it seemed like it was just writing for the sake of writing - very pretty writing, but the story went nowhere for ages. It took me 3 months to read this book. 3 months!!!

I hate the ending. I'm not one of those who has to have a HEA, though there's that expectation, especially in a children's book, but it was just unsatisfying and empty.

I don't know, maybe it was just me, maybe I personally couldn't connect with this book. So go ahead, give it a chance, the writing is worth it, I didn't care for the rest, but maybe others will. ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I only got through about 130 pages of this story before giving up. I just didn't feel any sympathy for either of the main characters (the titular Summer and Bird, sisters) and their plight. The story didn't flow smoothly either. There was some beautiful imagery but it wasn't enough to keep me reading.
  klpm | Jun 13, 2013 |

An enchanting--and twisted--tale of two sisters' quest to find their parents

When their parents disappear in the middle of the night, young sisters Summer and Bird set off on a quest to find them. A cryptic picture message from their mother leads them to a familiar gate in the woods, but comfortable sights quickly give way to a new world entirely--Down--one inhabited by talking birds and the evil Puppeteer queen. Summer and Bird are quickly separated, and their divided hearts lead them each in a very different direction in the quest to find their parents, vanquish the Puppeteer, lead the birds back to their Green Home, and discover the identity of the true bird queen.

With breathtaking language and deliciously inventive details, Katherine Catmull has created a world unlike any other, skillfully blurring the lines between magic and reality and bringing to life a completely authentic cast of characters and creatures.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:17 -0400)

In the world of Down, young sisters Summer and Bird are separated and go in very different directions as they seek their missing parents, try to vanquish the evil Puppeteer, lead the talking birds back to their Green Home, and discover the identity of the true bird queen.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Summer and Bird by Katherine Catmull was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible