Summer and Bird by Katherine Catmull

Summer and Bird (edition 2012)

by Katherine Catmull

2012358,418 (3.35)9
Member:Bitter_Grace
Title:Summer and Bird
Authors:Katherine Catmull
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

Summer and Bird by Katherine Catmull

There was great beauty in this book, but I did not find it a comfortable or smooth read, despite my affinity for birds and belief in fantasy.
  bookczuk | Jun 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this book. It is a beautifully written fantasy novel that combines the selkie legend and an alternate fantasy world of talking birds. It will definitely be a slow-burn kind of book as the concept may seem too "babyish" for older tweens and teens, talking animals and all, but conceptually it will require a more mature reader. It is a darker read, taking on tween/teen things like sibling rivalry but also much harsher things like the stealing of souls and a mother's choice between the family she was forced to remain with but still loves and her true form and kingdom. It is slow, but the beautiful writing and relationship between Summer and Bird make this book totally worth it. ( )
  lawral | Jan 3, 2015 |
WATCH BOOK TRAILER

Sisters Summer and Bird wake up one morning to find their parents missing. A message leads the girls to the forest, where they enter the magical and dangerous world of Down. While searching for their parents, the sisters go on separate quests to find the bird queen, vanquish the bird-swallowing Puppeteer, and guide the birds to their
true home.
  KilmerMSLibrary | May 19, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I usually love a Children's fantasy novel, but I found this one darker and more melancholy than most. When Summer and Bird's parents go missing, they follow them into Down to try and find them. Summer and Bird are separated early and must go throw their own adventures. Summer is helped by an old man named Ben, while Bird makes her way to the Swan's castle, where she is taken captive (though willingly) by the Puppeteer who promises her that she can be Queen of the Birds. By the end, I was glad I read it, but it took me a long time to get through, and I probably would have given it up, if I hadn't received it as an Early Reviewer book. I think this is a case of Ranganathan's "Every book it's reader" law. I was not this book's reader. I saw it described elsewhere as being similar to Neil Gaiman's work, and that makes sense to me. If you like that sort of darker fantasy, this book will likely appeal to you. ( )
  cransell | Dec 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I felt this novel had so much promise and an amazing story to tell, but the pace was too slow and the characters were not interesting. I found my attention waning as I read. It didn't keep me reading much to my disappointment. I wanted to love it, but found it wasn't a fit for me. ( )
  C.Ibarra | Sep 19, 2013 |

An enchanting--and twisted--tale of two sisters' quest to find their parents

When their parents disappear in the middle of the night, young sisters Summer and Bird set off on a quest to find them. A cryptic picture message from their mother leads them to a familiar gate in the woods, but comfortable sights quickly give way to a new world entirely--Down--one inhabited by talking birds and the evil Puppeteer queen. Summer and Bird are quickly separated, and their divided hearts lead them each in a very different direction in the quest to find their parents, vanquish the Puppeteer, lead the birds back to their Green Home, and discover the identity of the true bird queen.

With breathtaking language and deliciously inventive details, Katherine Catmull has created a world unlike any other, skillfully blurring the lines between magic and reality and bringing to life a completely authentic cast of characters and creatures.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:49 -0400)

In the world of Down, young sisters Summer and Bird are separated and go in very different directions as they seek their missing parents, try to vanquish the evil Puppeteer, lead the talking birds back to their Green Home, and discover the identity of the true bird queen.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Katherine Catmull's book Summer and Bird was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,194,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible