The Roswell Conspiracy: Tyler Locke 3 (An…

The Roswell Conspiracy: Tyler Locke 3 (An International Thriller) (edition 2012)

by Boyd Morrison

Member:littleton_pace
Title:The Roswell Conspiracy: Tyler Locke 3 (An International Thriller)
Authors:Boyd Morrison
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Read in 2013, Sci-Fi, Aliens/UFO's

The Roswell Conspiracy: Tyler Locke 3 (An International Thriller) by Boyd Morrison

I haven't read much lately after the lacklustre venom by Joan Brady but was pleased to have picked up this book from my shelf to start on next.

Fast paced, action, mystery, ex-intelligence operatives trying to get back into the good graces of their country and "aliens" make for a good plot with lots of interesting developments.

Whilst one does need to overlook certain realities to enjoy the story it nonetheless is a great read that's hard to take a break from without reading just one more chapter.

Story line ties in nicely with known history to provide a what-could-have-been tale. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Nov 21, 2013 |
Despite the title, the Roswell events really only serve as a starting point; the fast-paced plot is pretty light on alien conspiracies, mainly involving a potential EMP attack on the US. Personally I thought this was the strongest Tyler Locke novel yet (although, concept-wise, The Ark is still my favorite), and I'm kind of shocked that the author's US publisher dropped him. I'm not privy to the intricacies of the publishing industry, but it seems a strange decision since this definitely felt, at least to me, to be an improvement on the previous two in the series. I'll be curious to see where Morrison goes from here.

Extended review available on my blog: The Roswell Conspiracy

(review copy received via NetGalley) ( )
  charleenlynette | Sep 28, 2013 |
Great read! Lots of adventure for Tyler Locke and Grant Westfieldin this third book in the series. Has a fresh outloook on the Roswell crash that makes for a great story. From the Australian Outback to the wilds of Easter Island to the Nazca Lines in Peru; they encounter Russian spies , rogue spies. drug kingpins, government agents and lots of things that blow up in their quest to answer the riddle of the artifact from Roswell.
  Cyndecat | Mar 11, 2013 |
I have to stop being enticed by book covers.

This novel centres around a character, Tyler Locke, who from what I can gather in the blurbs, has starred in previous novels by this author. So I'm coming into this as someone who has never read Tyler Locke or any of Boyd Morrison's work before.

What this read like to me was a guy who wanted to write James Bond with just enough changes to avoid a copyright issue. Although not that many. What I was hoping for was a cool look at Roswell and aliens, I now see the cover is utterly misleading.

The opening chase scene annoyed me off the bat. Tyler, his boat-fanatic, former-wrestler best friend, Grant, and some old woman, Fay, who runs around like a woman half her age, are trying to escape these people who are after Fay's Roswell artifact she found as a child.

"New Zealand normally being a safe place." - I find this a very tenuous thread. I live in Australia so we do get news from NZ when something horrible happens, which it does about as often as any other more westernized country. Perhaps less because it's smaller, but there's definitely some parts of it that are unsafe. Perhaps picking a city or region would have been more accurate than labelling the whole country as safe. Just seemed like a dumb statement to make.

As far as I can tell with Tyler, who is some sort of army engineer, he is pretty much awesome at everything. He knows everything about guns/weapons, he can drive any sort of car/plane, he knows how to evade capture, etc. The only thing it would appear he can't do is drive boats, but not to worry because good ol' Grant is there and we're told he has "several" boats, so he saves the day. This time, gotta be careful not to pull focus from Tyler. :S

Back to the chase scene, we're told the police are on the way; and Fay suggests they hide out in a local store. Tyler muses that there will probably be civilians there who will be caught in the crossfire, but that doesn't put him off. Which kind of goes against the persona of the heroic army dude Tyler is supposed to be. Anyway, the civilians live to shop another day as Tyler et al make it to the water and start a boat chase for some reason that ends with the bad guys dying and the good guys winning. Back on the shore, we're told the police were just watching the chase. No need to get involved then, not like it's life and death.

Out of the water, Fay's granddaughter Jess appears. We're told Jess looks nothing like her Gran and has dark skin. Jess is impossibly fit and gorgeous without makeup gaining looks from all the young policemen. And wouldn't you know it, she's Tyler's college girlfriend. Yikes, not even 50 pages in and I'm cringing.

Then over lunch we're treated to our first actual encounter with aliens in the form of Fay's retelling of something that happened to her as a 10 year old. She witnessed an alien craft crash, and then the alien hopped up on her horse and led her away to safety for some reason. Why an alien has this human response, I don't know. And we're not told, nor are we told how an alien came into contact with the wood engraving that it gives to Fay.

It's mentioned that Tyler is actually an expert engineer, yet Jess hires him to find out who is after her grandmother and her alien artifact, which does not at all seem to fit Tyler's field of expertise. Even Tyler brings up to Jess that he isn't the ideal person for the job and suggests she take the artifact to the police. But Jess says she did, and they didn't believe her. Yet on the very next page Jess reveals she has an "in" with the cops and often does work for them, and her connection with them is close enough that she is given details on cases. Yet these people who she works for won't believe her when she asks for help? Nevertheless, we'll carry on.

Then things get majorly sidetracked for reasons I still don't understand. Some guy has a bomb, and some girl wants to disarm the bomb. Tyler and Grant get involved and save the day, complete with running along the roofs of moving vehicles, escaping a bomb blast and planting some C4. As far as I can tell, they're stuck in a truck with the giant bomb and find some C4 to blow a section of the truck open so they can escape. Also, as far as I can tell, this truck is one of many in a convoy that is being watched by people who have cameras trained on the bomb, yet no one sees/hears/witnesses this little C4 blast. Tyler does another stereotypical action move when, whilst he's jogging on top of the truck, someone hits the breaks and Tyler falls onto the windshield but manages to hang on and then climb into the carriage behind the wheel. I cannot find words for how much this guy is annoying me.

While Fay and Jess are told to wait in the car while the men do all the work, they have a chat about terrorists are going to attack. And, according to Tyler, they'll attack Pine Gap because "it sounded like the kind of place a terrorist would want to target." Seems childish to label a town as a terrorist target based only on its name. I live in Brisbane near The Gap, I wonder if I should be concerned?

During this scuffle, we're told Grant and Tyler "crabbed over to a trailer", which marks as one of the weirder sentences in the book. In fact in Australia (not sure if it's the same elsewhere) "crabbing" is funnily enough a term used for going out and catching crabs. But I assume Tyler and Grant weren't catching crabs while they hid behind a trailer.

Up to chapter 22 (140 pages), and there's only been the one mention of aliens via Fay's memory.

On the way to a diner with her Gran, Jess comes to the conclusion that her Grandmother didn't see an alien, but rather one of Stalin's man-made child-sized monsters which he was rumoured to have created and sent around the world to create hysteria. This leads Jess to believe the language the "alien" spoke in to her Grandmother was Russian, so Jess calls someone she claims is her expert in dialects whom she goes to for her translation needs; and this guy tells her all he did was type the phrase into Google and nothing came up. That's the extent of his expertise.

At this point I think I've pieced together the bomb connection from earlier. The Russians need xenobium (Which is what it sounds like, a fake word) to set off their terrorist bomb, and the alien artifact is made from xenobium. I think, I don't really care.

The story heads to Easter Island for some reason, Tyler and his gang are there but the Russian bad guys are on their way. During a conversation between Jess and Tyler that reads like the author just read way too much about Easter Island on wikipedia, Tyler mentions "Fay sure seems convinced we're dealing with spacemen." Which implies that no one else is really taking the alien connection seriously. The book title "The Roswell Conspiracy" along with the cute little doodle of an alien on the cover and a statement that this book will uncover what really happened at Roswell? And I'm nuts for thinking it will go into that? Now I'm not saying aliens exist, but surely I'm not crazy to think that a book proclaiming aliens on the cover would in fact be about aliens? And as a reader almost 200 pages into the story, it's a little annoying to read our protagonist confirming he doesn't believe what the whole story is based on.

Maybe someone should flick Tyler a copy of this book cover, just to remind him that he's supposed to be investigating aliens. Or maybe he's not, and I'm the one mislead by the cover's repeated use of the word Roswell and the alien picture.

Meanwhile in Sydney, Grant is being cringeworthy with Morgan, another impossibly gorgeous CIA agent, and the two wind up on a chase with the bad guys on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It reminds me of an episode of Bold and the Beautiful where they filmed in Australia, and they used a full two minutes of a hot guy running after a hot girl through the gardens around the Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House. It screamed that they were just trying to cram as much of Australia that people would recognize into one scene which was complete with pulsing didgeridoo music in the background. Just because it's there doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. When I write about America I don't set everything at the Empire State Building and have people say "Howdy, y'all!". Oh, I should mention there was an Australian earlier on who said "bonzer" which no one over here has ever said and is one of those words people THINK Australians use.

Anyway, back to Easter Island and Jess, Tyler and Fay are searching caves. Jess being an expert spelunker and Fay being fearless, they have no trouble that normal people would have. Fay starts deciphering ancient drawings on cave walls using her sudden genius with such things, and determines that the drawings are of aliens despite Jess and Tyler thinking they're not.

Tyler shows he has no regard for others when he digs a part of the ancient engraving off the wall which he then reveals to Fay and Jess has xenobium in it. Still not sure how they found it, everything leading up to this has been happenstance, with characters guessing what everything means and having it all pan out. The amount of times people say "maybe this is because..." or "this must be where..." or "I think this is..." and it turns out to be exactly right although there is no actual confirmation of it, happens too often to count.

The main Russian bad guy catches up with the gang at Easter Island but instead of killing them when he has the chance, he decides that would take too much time and instead lets them go but not before sending one of his goons to stick a car in neutral and roll it off a cliff. Not sure why the Russian bad guy didn't just chuck grenades over there until Tyler blew up.

Anyway, Russian bad guy kidnaps Fay because he finds the video footage on her camera she made of finding xenobium in the caves. As he witnesses it, Russian proclaims that Fay has provided him with all he needs to find the xenobium, which I found strange since he has never been there before and has no idea what he's actually seeing, so how he can be sure that Fay filmed some sort of virtual map to find the xenobium cave, I don't know.

With their car off a cliff, Jess and Tyler decide running after the Russian who took Fay is the best idea. Then when they inevitably tire, they steal two scooters. Not from the side of the road or from a store, but literally off two people scooting past them. In fact, happy, waving, smiling locals. Both Jess and Tyler knock them off their scooters and jump on apparently without losing any speed on the scooters. Sorry, random locals. You don't matter, we just need your scooters to speed up this boring story.

Tyler and Jess find the xenobium bomb at the airport, and realize that if it goes off everyone on Easter Island will die. Why they're only coming to this conclusion now, I don't know. Bombs blow up, it's what they do best. But Tyler continues to show his disregard for anything that doesn't immediately affect him by considering dumping the bomb in the ocean, emitting radiation to the millions of underwater animals as well as contaminating a huge chunk of the Pacific Ocean. Thankfully for all of us, he realizes this isn't ideal.

Tyler then decides to launch a suicide mission and fly the plane + bomb to somewhere safe, which is exactly what happens in season 2 of 24. Jack Bauer (whom I'm sure Tyler is based on as he is an amalgam of every movie/TV hero I have ever seen) flies a plane with a bomb into a lower-populated area with no intention of coming back alive. But Jack Bauer is Jack Bauer, so he found a way out. Tyler Locke is a moronic protagonist, so he found a way out, too.

Did I mention Jess has professed her love for Tyler "after all these years"? Well, she did. Not that it matters. The pair jump off the plane before it blows up, but the bomb still blows. I don't know the details because I don't care, but what could turn into a cool island adventure becomes a page and a half of Tyler and Jess floating about in a lifeboat and making out and then being rescued. Nothing happens.

Tyler and Jess follow the evil Russians who took Fay and unveil that there is a ship the government has made to launch into space, which would just be called a rocket or space shuttle in normal human speak, but this author decided to call it a spaceplane. In fairness, the author has done work for NASA so maybe there is something called a spaceplane. But to me, like xenobium, it just sounds stupidly made up.

I don't get why terrorists would bother making a weapon triggered by a substance you can only get from space or Australia.

More nothing happens, the bad Russians are defeated, Fay is rescued and safe, Jess and Tyler are in love but part ways for some reason, Grant gets with that chick he's been annoying all book, and we never get to Roswell. ( )
  littleton_pace | Jan 23, 2013 |
Even more exciting than Morrison's earlier books! Tyler Locke still has his Leatherman, but it isn't emphasized so much; Grant still has an eye for the ladies and fast boats; Outrageous situations become believable and some even fall to logical explanations. With exotic locations, beautiful ladies, true science, aliens in flying saucers, and adventure galore what's not to like? ( )
  GTTexas | Jan 6, 2013 |

"1947. Ten-year-old Fay Allen of Roswell, New Mexico, witnesses the fiery crash of an extraordinary craft unlike anything she's ever seen. 2012. More than sixty years later, army engineer Tyler Locke rescues Fay from a pair of assassins. She says they were after a piece of wreckage she has obtained from the Roswell crash - and she claims to know secrets about that incident that have never previously been revealed. Tyler is initially skeptical but after he is kidnapped by a mysterious band of mercenaries, he comes to believe that Roswell holds the key to his and his countrymen's survival. And he realizes that there is a desperate race against time for him to uncover its secrets..." -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible