Poems to Learn by Heart by Caroline Kennedy

Poems to Learn by Heart

by Caroline Kennedy (Editor)

Other authors: Jon J. Muth (Illustrator)

Poetry is surely a many splendored thing in this richly conceived compendium of poets and ideas. Using the handsome format of A Family of Poems (Hyperion, 2005), Kennedy and Muth gather and depict a broader, more complex array of poems, inviting the enjoyment of varied readers and audiences. Kennedy's introductory comments on the value of memorizing poetry note the growing popularity of poetry recitation in festivals, slams, and other competitive events. A major emphasis throughout the book, in introductions to the topical sections and the wide-ranging choice of poems, is the deep pleasure poetry provides its readers, reciters, and writers. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 25, 2017 |
This is a great collection of poems, everything from Shakespeare to Robert Frost, and E.E. Cummings to a very contemporary Matthew Fredericks. Kids and adults will find at least one gem that they love in here, and more likely, they will find many. ( )
  BrindelStubbs | Jun 12, 2017 |
I could have sat with the book for hours. The paintings by Jon J Muth are exquisite. I had a hard time choosing which poems to read because I could not base it only on the illustrations. The collection is broken down into themes about: the self, family, friendship & love, fairies and ogres, nonsensical, school, sports & games, war, and nature. I appreciated having these categories because you can then pick and choose what you want to read. ( )
  nkoffler | Nov 30, 2016 |
This book consists of different short poems. In my opinion, it was written for children. Most of the poems are silly children's poems. Others are poems we have learned about in school, such as the Gettysburg Address. I recommend this book for an elementary classroom during a time in which the students are beginning to learn what a poem consists of. ( )
  ashtonwhitfield | Sep 21, 2016 |
A wide variety of kid-friendly poems from 100s of years ago to now, from Shakespeare to Langston Hughes. They are accompanied by gorgeous watercolor illustrations. ( )
  TammyBB | Jul 25, 2016 |

Kennedy, CarolineEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muth, Jon J.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my friends who sent me the poems they remember best - and to the DreamYard poets and all the poems they are going to write.
--C.K.
For Molly, Caroline, Alex, and Leo, my inspiration and enthusiasm for the paintings in this book. They modeled often and effortlessly and outgrew their clothes many times during its making.

With thanks to Caroline and Gretchen, my elegant partners.
--JJM
Introduction: People often ask me why they should learn a poem by heart.
The First Book
Rita Dove

Open it.

For this companion to her "New York Times"-bestselling collection "A Family of Poems," Kennedy has hand-selected more than 100 of her favorite poems that lend themselves to memorization.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,469,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible