A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver

A Thousand Mornings (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mary Oliver

Title:A Thousand Mornings
Authors:Mary Oliver
Info:Penguin Press HC, The (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 96 pages

A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver (2012)

So I just picked this up from the library today - I had requested it for next month's poetry read for Mark's AAC. I took it out to the deck with me to just read one or two of the poems and get a feel for it, but I ended up just reading straight through. Really lovely collection of poetry mostly themed on nature. I loved the final lines of "Hurricane" which read:

"For some things there are no wrong seasons.
Which is what I dream of for me."

Probably my favorite was "I Happened to be Standing", but I also loved "The Poet Compares Human Nature to the Ocean From Which We Came". It's short, so here it is for you:

"The sea can do craziness, it can do smooth,
it can lie down silk breathing
or toss havoc shoreward; it can give

gifts or withhold all; it can rise, ebb, froth
like an incoming frenzy of fountains, or it can
sweet-talk entirely. As I can too,

and so, no doubt, can you, and you." ( )
  Crazymamie | Mar 29, 2016 |
Mary Oliver does it again. A short collection of her poetry that offers her signature realism and wholesome, literal evocation of her tasteful and spectacularly insightful reactions to the world around her, and around us. The reader is never in doubt about what she’s saying—obscurity is not her thing, and disjointed word play and annoying sentence fragments are not her thing. I take instruction from Mary Oliver every time I read her work. There is calm, quiet joy in her words. She invites the reader to respect stillness. “Stillness. One of the doors into the temple.” [from “Today”]

More on my blogs:
http://magisterlibrorum.blogspot.com/ ( )
  rsubber | Oct 3, 2015 |
My first exposure to Mary Oliver's poetry. I enjoyed the poems, especially "The Moth, The Mountains, The Rivers","Hum, Hum" and "The Man Who Has Many Answers." Will be reading more of her poems in future. ( )
  JudyCroome | May 12, 2015 |
Mary Oliver's poetry always strikes a chord with me. This collection is very satisfying. ( )
  tangledthread | Jan 29, 2015 |

Septuagenarian life affirmations with an occasional touch of dark. I'm on board. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |

In A THOUSAND MORNINGS, Mary Oliver returns to the imagery that has come to define her lifes work, transporting us to the marshland and coastline of her beloved home, Provincetown, Massachusetts. In these pages, Oliver shares the wonder of dawn, the grace of animals, and the transformative power of attention. Whether studying the leaves of a tree or mourning her adored dog, Percy, she is ever patient in her observations and open to the teachings contained in the smallest of moments.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,737,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible