Schroder: A Novel by Amity Gaige

Schroder: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Amity Gaige

Member:suballa
Title:Schroder: A Novel
Authors:Amity Gaige
Info:Twelve (2013), Hardcover, 288 pages

Schroder by Amity Gaige (2013)

English (24)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
Reading one of the author blurbs on the back of this book, Gaige is praised for her originality. The plot of this book is not an original idea. It is a blatant ripoff of the true story involving Clark Rockefeller. This is a fictionalized version of that very public case and since I had previously read [b:The Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Impostor|10263986|The Man in the Rockefeller Suit The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Impostor|Mark Seal|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1311281812s/10263986.jpg|15164363] this book rang as untrue for me throughout (yeah, yeah I know it is fiction but still). It was not so much that Eric was an unreliable narrator as I just couldn't get over the fact that Gaige stole this idea wholesale from the above mentioned case. I understand all the legal mumbo jumbo that fiction authors put in to protect themselves legally but come on, I can't be the only reader in the world to recognize the multiple parallels between the two stories. Also, the footnotes were gimmicky and the pages of "I let you down" are [a:Jonathan Safran Foer|2617|Jonathan Safran Foer|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1274633302p2/2617.jpg]esque without the wit and charm of a Safran Foer character delivering them. Obviously, I really disliked this book. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
Not a particularly original story but handled with verve. The relationship between the father and daughter is very well presented (although a small quibble would be - why is it that small children in these kinds of novel are always super-intelligent?). ( )
  stephengoldenberg | Apr 6, 2016 |
I was immediately drawn into this novel by the narrator's oddly charming voice. He (Erik Schroder) is a classically unreliable narrator, and the book is his self-justification. The author keeps her balance well - telling the story Schroder's perspective so that you warm to him instinctively, while allowing enough of his delusions to slip through. There are clear parallels with Lolita here, but Schroder is, in the end, a more sympathetic character than Humbert and the book packs less of a punch. Still: there's much to chew on here - I'll be keeping my eye out for Gaige's next book. ( )
  mjlivi | Feb 2, 2016 |
Erik Schroder abandoned his German identity as a teenager and adopted the Camelot surname to become Erik Kennedy, a choice that would follow him through adulthood. As a stay at home dad, he develops a close bond with his young daughter, Meadow, but loses the connection he once had with his wife. Following their separation and custody battle, Erik takes Meadow on a trip that will eventually lead to the unraveling of his carefully designed life.

Schroder had me weighing several issues back and forth. Can someone still be a good person if they set out with good intentions, but are continuously hurting the people they love? Especially if there is self-interest at the center of that hurt? I was battling with my feelings toward Erik throughout the whole novel. I couldn't help but feel bad for him at several points, as it was clear he desperately loved his daughter. However, his interest was so focused on piecing together this perfect life that he ended up designing negative situations for himself.

Most of Schroder is not pleasant, even a little painful to read. But Gaige's narrative style works well and there are some great moments between Erik and Meadow, particularly nearing the end of their journey. Definitely a story worth reading. ( )
  rivercityreading | Aug 10, 2015 |
Um... Good read and nicely written. But I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!!! Sorry. ( )
  RachelGMB | Aug 5, 2015 |
Gaige creates a fascinating and complex character in Erik, as he moves from the eccentric and slightly irresponsible father to a desperate man at the end of his rope. While the novel’s format occasionally lends itself to overly dramatic prose, this does not take away from its warmth and expert exploration of the immigrant experience, alienation, and the unbreakable bond between parent and child.
added by DorsVenabili | editBooklist, Kerri Price (pay site) (Nov 1, 2012)

Ensconced in a correctional facility at the height of a custody battle with his estranged wife, Eric, a first-generation East German immigrant who changed his name as a youth, surveys his life to consider the disparity between his original and assumed identities.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,310,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible