The Candy Shop War, Book 2: Arcade…

The Candy Shop War, Book 2: Arcade Catastrophe (edition 2012)

by Brandon Mull

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Magic, Young Adult, Magicians, California

The Candy Shop War: Arcade Catastrophe by Brandon Mull

Recently added byprivate library, ssa.books, seemakhan123, SonshineMusic7, jmborzick, emmyson, diamondrene

Nate, Summer, Pigeon, and Trevor believe that things have calmed down since the wicked plans of Belinda White were foiled last year. But when they find out that Jonas White, Belinda's brother, is running a suspicious Arcade in the area the kids are plunged into a new adventure. Because magicians can MAKE magic, but can't actually USE it (and because they're only safe from magical attack if they're in a magical sanctuary - so they're not often mobile), they use magical candy to recruit kids to do all their dirty work. Nate and his friends must use magical powers provided by the Magician/Candyman Mr. Stott to infiltrate White's team. White sends them on a wild and magical treasure hunt for a dangerous artifact. How can the kids keep undercover without providing White unimaginable power? How can they keep such a huge secret from Lindy Stott?

Mull intended The Candy Shop War to be a standalone book, but because people kept asking for a sequel, he delivered. And you know what? I'm pretty sure it was better than the first book! Mull's writing has developed quite a bit since he wrote The Candy Shop War. This book has adventure, humor, and good characters. It was a delight to read. I had a hard time putting it down. Originally, I was skeptical because I'm a fan of keeping standalone books standalone, but I'm really happy Mull wrote this book and I'm eager for the following one. These books are aimed at a slightly younger crowd than the standard YA book...I'd say they're appropriate for 11-year-olds, but could be enjoyed by kids (and adults) of other ages too. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Dec 20, 2012 |
I think I like this book better than the first. It's been 5 years since the first one was released, so maybe it's because Mull has grown as a writer and it's just better quality overall. I felt the same way about Fablehaven, the later books are just better written. It's not as geared towards children as the first book in terms of tone or being as blatantly careful with the moral sensibilities of kids. The characters are still great, the plot is awesome, imaginative and exciting, and the pace is great. The last few pages definitely setting up a third book in the series and I can't wait. ( )
  ladonna37 | Dec 9, 2012 |
Candy Shop War Arcade Catastrophe by Brandon Mull
5 STARS

I was excited to read Candy Shop War Arcade Catastrophe. I admit that I do own Candy Shop War but have not read it, but I am going too. I loved Fablehaven series. If your a Brandon Mull fan you will enjoy this book.
In Candy Shop War Arcade Catastrophe its starts off by kids spending all thier money to try and get a prize stamp. No one knows what they do or why thier is only 4 of 4 different stamps. They cost the most tickets of any prize at the arcade.
Roman's two friends got the jet stamp while he was grounded from spending his life savings of 400$ at the arcade.
Nate, Trevor,Summer and Pigeon are back. They get told by these two twin dudes that thier friends John who is a police detective of mages and his boss Mozag are missing.
They tell them to ask thier friend at the Candy Shop to verify these facts.
All they know is it involves the arcade and that they can't go in they would be noticed right away.
The kids agree and accept money and camera to try and find out whats going on with the arcade.
Nate plays basketball arcade next to Roman and he makes bets with him. Nate loses two games. Then Cris Roman's friend gets on the bet too. Cris and Roman let on that they were trying to save up to get something and Roman already has 40,000 tickets.
Nate chews a piece of gum and wins the bet. Then Cris makes another bet at the bigger basketball court and Nate whens again.
They figure out that it has to be the stamps that Roman is trying to win. So they make plans to come back tomorrow and win as much as possible.
This book is full of drama,adventure,fun and tough choices they have to make. Nate, Trevor,Summer,and Pigeon have candy that gives them abilties. Like to be perfect.
They also run across more powers like flying.breathing in water,fast,strong.
Kids have to decide what is wrong and what is right. Who is the bad guy and who are the good guys. What would you be willing to do so you can keep flying.
I did not want to put the book down untill I finshed it. It is an exciting adventure that the whole family can enjoy. I will look forward to reading lots more books from Brandon Mull in the future.
I was given this ebook to read in exchange of honest review from Netgalley.
10/23/2012 PUB. Deseret Book Co. Imprint Shadow Mountain 416 pages ISBN-10: 1609071794 ( )
  rhonda1111 | Oct 17, 2012 |

Nate and his friends think the new Arcadeland, where tickets can earn jets, tanks, subs, and racecars, is totally cool, until they learn that the arcade owner is hiding a secret.

27 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,251,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible