The End of Men: And the Rise of Women by…

The End of Men: And the Rise of Women

by Hanna Rosin

English (26)  German (1)  All (27)
I don't advice reading this for anyone. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
I don't advice reading this for anyone. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
I had a real problem with this book. Not just its premise, though that bothered me; it was the technique. This book purports to be journalism on social science research, but it isn't. The author has a weird agenda based in an outlook on gender relations that is inherently combative, as though civil rights are a zero sum game. She identifies as feminist but this is not a point of view expressed by any modern feminists I know or read. The combativeness, as though it would be impossible to move toward a feminist world without hurting men, permeates and makes this hard to read.

In addition, I have a real problem with the way that Rosin describes much of the research summarized in this book. She briefly cites Armstrong & Hamilton as evidence of the lack of harm and power of women in so-called college hookup culture, but Armstrong & Hamilton's work -- both articles and their book, Paying for the Party -- is much more complex and nuanced than here. They would not subscribe to the views Rosin espouses. Similarly, Edin's work on marriage values and childbearing among low-income women is so much more complex than the short shrift it's given here. Anyone familiar with the literature on this topic will find Rosin's book far from compelling in its presentation, much less get to her very problematic conclusion.

Meanwhile there are random comments that simply don't make sense. She offhandedly dismisses that the Christian Right wants to restrict women's reproductive rights. Perhaps she is unaware how many states have passed restrictions on this in recent years? This is not something that can simply be dismissed.

I would have enjoyed interacting with a cogent opinion to which I don't subscribe, but this was so poorly argued that it just doesn't get there. Anyone with more than a passing familiarity with the sociology literature will be especially appalled. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Jul 1, 2016 |
Rosin made an excellent for the decline of "cardboard" men and the rise of "plastic" women although I really dislike those terms. Most of the assertions were well documented but I really dislike the use of television shows as examples of cultural acceptance or trends. When has television represented mainstream America? Rosin discusses the decline in industrial America as being a large part of the problem with men and mens' skill set but I this seems to me to be only one small part of the problem. I'm seeing sons of college educated middle class families that are uninterested in post-high school education. I think there are largerer social and economic forces at work along with the problems with education which The End of Men only touches on.

My opinion is that some of the chapters needed some pruning then a little more time could have been spent on the issues in schools and the current economic plight of the middle class. Growing disparities in income and the shrinking of the middle class must surely play into the plight of men. With these caveats I would recommend the The End of Men to anyone interested in gender issues. ( )
  janw | Dec 28, 2013 |
This is an interesting, readable report on the shifting roles of men and women in contemporary society. Rosin does not limit her analysis to American society. The chapter on "the education gap" was especially enlightening and should be read every parent of boys so that they realize what their boys are up against in the current educational system. ( )
  proflinton | Dec 19, 2013 |

Men have been the dominant sex since the dawn of mankind. But Hanna Rosin has noticed that this long-held truth is, astonishingly, no longer true. At this unprecedented moment, by almost every measure, women are no longer gaining on men: they have pulled decisively ahead. And "the end of men"--the title of Rosin's Atlantic cover story on the subject--has entered the lexicon as dramatically as Betty Friedan's "feminine mystique," Simone de Beauvoir's "second sex," Susan Faludi's "backlash," and Naomi Wolf's "beauty myth" once did. In this landmark book, Rosin reveals how this new state of affairs is radically shifting the power dynamics between men and women at every level of society, with profound implications for marriage, sex, children, work, and more. With wide-ranging curiosity and insight unhampered by assumptions or ideology, Rosin shows how the radically different ways men and women today earn, learn, spend, couple up--even kill--has turned the big picture upside down.--From publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Hanna Rosin's book The End of Men was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible