Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan

Brain on Fire (edition 2012)

by Susannah Cahalan

Member:Suzanne.speterson
Title:Brain on Fire
Authors:Susannah Cahalan
Info:Free Press (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Four/Five stars
Rating:*****
Tags:Brain disease, Encephalitis, Medicine, Mental illness, New York Post, Memoir, Hospitals, Doctors, Neurology, Nonfiction

Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan

I really liked this book! There were so many great thinks about it. The author did a fantastic job at telling her story of a journey into madness. Her story was a testament to her strength and the devotion and commitment to her loved ones. It was also a beacon for modern medicine and how doctors can make a difference (while others write the unknown off as unsolvable mysteries).

I really appreciated Cahalan's openness with such a profoundly personal and intimate subject and from the last chapters of her book, it was apparent that other sufferers of her disease (and those like it), benefited greatly from the notoriety of something which had been hitherto essentially undiagnosed in the medical community. This was a great story and a must read!! ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Dramatic memoir of NY Post reporter's horrific experience of a rare form of encephalitis - Susannah Cahalan's authenticity and courage are so evident in this excellent account of her transformation into a crazed person, the search for diagnosis,and the slow recovery - her writing is excellent and she spares no details of her painful journey - ( )
  njinthesun | Mar 26, 2015 |
The medical field has make great leaps and bounds in it's knowledge to further the healthfulness and limit the pain caused to mankind. Yet, this memoir brings the fact front and center that there is still so much that is unknown about the human condition. Susannah Cahalan's lost month is a brave and blatant reminder that we are not immortal. A wonderful journalistic approach in attempting to chronicle the time and personality she lost and her eventual regain of health and rediscovery of self. ( )
  Sovranty | Feb 12, 2015 |
Clear-headed, straightforward but elegantly written, and full of gratefulness and humility. For someone so young Cahalan is remarkably good at understanding how much she owes to her parents, to her boyfriend, to her doctors, to her luck. She doesn't even hold a grudge to those who initially misdiagnosed her rare encephalitis as alcoholism, schizophrenia, or anxiety. There is no hint of self-indulgence or self-absorption in this memoir--instead there is a good deal of caring about what happens to others--including those with the same disease who mysteriously don't recover even when given the same treatment that cured Cahalan, those who are misdiagnosed and don't have loving family members there to catch doctors' mistakes, and those who aren't able to access the first-class, extraordinarily expensive medical help that she received. I'm very happy to have read this book, if only for the way it has left me with a better sense of how fragile we all are, and how much in need of one another's compassion. ( )
  poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |
This book absolutely fascinated me.

At first, I was actually afraid to read it. Our older daughter has struggled with lots of health problems since 10/13.It's been a struggle to get her the help she needs. I was afraid to see parts of her story in Sussannah's story.

I do wonder if Marlo has an auto-immune disorder that is steering her health.

Susannah's story is scary. Fortunately, though, she was surrounded by people who cared and who recognized when things were not normal. They took care of her and fought for medical intervention. It is scary that some people have experienced the same thing but with very different outcomes. It is a story of hope because new information is being gathered all the time so that people who are afflicted in the future may get the help they need as soon as they need it. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Jan 24, 2015 |
"..a fascinating and compelling story told in a smart, succinct style.."

Dedicated to those without a diagnosis
Maybe it all began with a bug bite, from a bedbug that didn't exist.
I have felt that odd whirr of wings in the head. - Virginia Woolf, A Writer's Diary: Being Extracts from the Diary of Virginia Woolf

The story of twenty-four-year-old Susannah Cahalan and the life-saving discovery of the autoimmune disorder that nearly killed her -- and that could perhaps be the root of "demonic possessions" throughout history.

159 wanted2 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,821,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible