Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan

Brain on Fire (edition 2012)

by Susannah Cahalan

Member:Suzanne.speterson
Title:Brain on Fire
Authors:Susannah Cahalan
Info:Free Press (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Four/Five stars
Rating:*****
Tags:Brain disease, Encephalitis, Medicine, Mental illness, New York Post, Memoir, Hospitals, Doctors, Neurology, Nonfiction

Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan

It's a great story, and I'll bet the short version she wrote was better. It certainly reminded me of "House," the TV series about a cranky doctor who solves medical mystery cases in an hour. But I'm not sure that trying to get a whole book out of this story panned out. I seem to be in the minority here; I thought the story dragged until she got the diagnosis. It was one episode after another of "and then I did this, and then I did that." Then after the diagnosis it was interesting for a bit, before slowing down again. I didn't think it was great writing, given that she is a journalist. I kept picking it up and putting it down. The reason I picked it up was that many students in an AP Psych course at my high school had read portions of it in class (maybe they read the article it is based on). Well, in the end I skimmed the last quarter of the book. If anyone is interested in stories of neurological mysteries, I recommend Oliver Sack's The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat. Now that was fascinating. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Apr 21, 2016 |
Very Interesting. The human body is amazing for both the good and the bad but we learn all the time. Hopefully her story helps more people get the care they need. ( )
  Jennie.Cole | Feb 24, 2016 |
Excellent memoir of a journalist struggles with a rare brain disease and the diagnostic journey which could only have happened with a supportive family. ( )
  nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
another required reading book for a workshop ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
I really gripping medical mystery diagnosis presented as a combination of memoir and reportage. It started slow, but when it moved away from memoir to piecing together the story with a reporter's eye it became unputdownable. I read this book in print and listened to it intermittently. I didn't think the reader was bad, but I preferred this in print form. The material on the connections between neurological and mental illness was especially fascinating. ( )
  Narshkite | Jan 25, 2016 |
"..a fascinating and compelling story told in a smart, succinct style.."

I have felt that odd whirr of wings in the head.
                                 —Virginia Woolf, A Writer's Diary:
              Being Extracts from the Diary of Virginia Woolf
Dedicated to those without a diagnosis
Maybe it all began with a bug bite, from a bedbug that didn't exist.
If all I can remember are hallucinations, how can I rely on my own mind?

The story of twenty-four-year-old Susannah Cahalan and the life-saving discovery of the autoimmune disorder that nearly killed her -- and that could perhaps be the root of "demonic possessions" throughout history.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 21 books! | Top bar: Always visible