Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan

Brain on Fire (edition 2012)

by Susannah Cahalan

Member:Suzanne.speterson
Title:Brain on Fire
Authors:Susannah Cahalan
Info:Free Press (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Four/Five stars
Rating:*****
Tags:Brain disease, Encephalitis, Medicine, Mental illness, New York Post, Memoir, Hospitals, Doctors, Neurology, Nonfiction

Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan

another required reading book for a workshop ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
I really gripping medical mystery diagnosis presented as a combination of memoir and reportage. It started slow, but when it moved away from memoir to piecing together the story with a reporter's eye it became unputdownable. I read this book in print and listened to it intermittently. I didn't think the reader was bad, but I preferred this in print form. The material on the connections between neurological and mental illness was especially fascinating. ( )
  Narshkite | Jan 25, 2016 |
This could be an episode from House... It is quite frightening to think that our body can attack us in such a way. Now that these types of immune system disorders are being identified it does open new avenues to research that could help certain sufferers od mental illness and autism. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
This was so good! A very quick read that kept my attention from start to finish. There was a lot of neuroscience and although I know next to nothing about that topic that I never felt like it was incomprehensible. Susannah is so lucky to have been diagnosed and treated correctly. ( )
  nljacobs | Jan 19, 2016 |
Utterly engrossing. I stayed up two extra hours last night to finish this book. A phenomenal read not only for its medical mystery but because it is written so intimately. You come out of this knowing Susannah and knowing her ordeal as though it happened to a friend. How frightening to imagine all the people with this disease who were misdiagnosed and spent years in psychiatric hospitals, or died, because they did not get proper treatment. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Dec 21, 2015 |
"..a fascinating and compelling story told in a smart, succinct style.."

I have felt that odd whirr of wings in the head.
                                 —Virginia Woolf, A Writer's Diary:
              Being Extracts from the Diary of Virginia Woolf
Dedicated to those without a diagnosis
Maybe it all began with a bug bite, from a bedbug that didn't exist.
If all I can remember are hallucinations, how can I rely on my own mind?

The story of twenty-four-year-old Susannah Cahalan and the life-saving discovery of the autoimmune disorder that nearly killed her -- and that could perhaps be the root of "demonic possessions" throughout history.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,993,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible