Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan

Brain on Fire (edition 2012)

by Susannah Cahalan

Title:Brain on Fire
Authors:Susannah Cahalan
Info:Free Press (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Four/Five stars
Tags:Brain disease, Encephalitis, Medicine, Mental illness, New York Post, Memoir, Hospitals, Doctors, Neurology, Nonfiction

Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan

I, for the most part, really loved this book. I loved it not only because I love psychological/medical "mystery" books, but also because Susannah does such a fantastic job of portraying her experiences.

Although I would not necessarily recommend this book to everyone, I think if health and matters of the brain/well-being is something that you're interested in then this is a wonderful read! ( )
  tipsy_writer | Sep 29, 2015 |
Gripping page-turner. Very compelling non-fiction, only too episodic with a forced narrative. You can feel the hard-nosed journalist covered up by the pitchy editor. Extraordinary story though, with some touching and insightful moments. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
A riveting true-story about how one woman went from a budding career as a newspaper reporter to suddenly suffering from seizures, psychosis, and near-catatonia. Only one doctor's diagnosis of a rare autoimmune disorder saved Susannah from a future in the psychiatric ward, misdiagnosed as schizophrenic, psychotic, and catatonic. This is her story of survival and how it opened the eyes of the medical community and enabled them to more competently identify this disease in others. A very inspiring and heartbreaking story.

I am a nurse and the information presented in this book is very intriguing and prompts me to consider if this may be an illness suffered by any of my own patients. I will definitely recommend this book to friends and colleagues. ( )
  chrirob | Sep 15, 2015 |
This book was both terrifying and awe-inspiring. Ms. Cahalan brought home the magnitude of her experience and the possibility that her disease could strike any of us. I was profoundly moved by the way her family and friends pulled together to support her and by the drive they showed to find a cure. Their commitment to seeing her through her ordeal was phenomenal. But the refusal of her own spirit to incinerate in the fire in her brain was what kept me reading, what prevented the events of her narrative from becoming desperate and oppressive. Cahalan's story left me amazed. ( )
  wardemote | Aug 22, 2015 |
This is the story of Susannah, a young, twenty-something who starts to lose her mind, literally. She starts hallucinating, having seizures and acting paranoid. She loses her ability to speak and nearly walk without much difficulty and just quickly begins to be a shadow of her formal self. First it is believed that she has a mental illness; schizoaffective disorder to be exact. Then she is diagnosed with possible epilepsy and several other illnesses before she is correctly diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that causes her brain to become inflamed.

Susannah is a reporter for the NY Post and uses her skills as such to put together the story of her devastating illness and remarkable recovery. I highly recommend this book. She put it together so beautifully and really makes you feel as though you are with her during this difficult time. ( )
  campingmomma | Aug 18, 2015 |
"..a fascinating and compelling story told in a smart, succinct style.."
I have felt that odd whirr of wings in the head.
                                 —Virginia Woolf, A Writer's Diary:
              Being Extracts from the Diary of Virginia Woolf
Dedicated to those without a diagnosis
Maybe it all began with a bug bite, from a bedbug that didn't exist.
If all I can remember are hallucinations, how can I rely on my own mind?

The story of twenty-four-year-old Susannah Cahalan and the life-saving discovery of the autoimmune disorder that nearly killed her -- and that could perhaps be the root of "demonic possessions" throughout history.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,749,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible