The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to…

The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Perry

2182280,398 (3.67)1 / 8
Member:AliceKathleen
Title:The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging and Postponing
Authors:John Perry
Info:Workman Publishing Company (2012), Hardcover, 112 pages

The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging and Postponing by John Perry (2012)

English (16)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  All languages (22)
This was a short, amusing read. It also provided what do seem like some legitimate tips for those who tend to be (high-functioning) procrastinators. i'm afraid, though, that those who procrastinate by staring mindless at their phones or watching endless television may not find a lot of useful tips here. Even they might want to read it, though, as it's worth it for comic relief.
Last note: if you pick this up and find yourself thinking, "Well, maybe I'll read this in a few days...", then it might be a good book for you. ;) ( )
  caimanjosh | Dec 4, 2017 |
This book is a very enjoyable read taking not more than 4 hours. The author's sense of humor adds a lot more to its enjoyment. I found the book extremely relatable to myself too. It basically gives a way to look at the overly exaggerated issue of Procrastination from an optimistic perspective. It would be an under statement to say this book can be life changing. ( )
  VenkiPhy6 | Dec 31, 2015 |
Amusing, but not earth-shaking. I had already come to most of these realizations. I did like his comparison to left handers living in a right handed world with vertical and horizontal organizers. I am so much a left handed horizontal organizer that it's not funny. I use the floor for lack of enough horizontal space.
At two discs, very manageable. ( )
  2wonderY | Dec 8, 2015 |
An awesome book! I no longer feel ashamed because I procrastinate. ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
An awesome book! I no longer feel ashamed because I procrastinate. ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |

John Perryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holsopple, BrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain
For Frenchie
Who is very patient (sometimes)
Humans are by nature rational animals.
Never do today any task that may disappear tomorrow.
Let the situation mature.
...I'd rather chew on thumbtacks than read up on printers in Consumer Reports.
The structured procrastinator may not be the world's most effective human being, but by letting her ideas and energies wander spontaneously, she may accomplish all sorts of things that she would have missed out on by adhering to a more structured regimen.
My wife pops in to remind me to check the Visa bill...She would clearly like me to stop what I am doing, remove the laptop from my lap, take the bill (which she is kindly holding in my face), and comply with her request forthwith...The idea that by not checking the Visa bill immediately I will discourage my wife from such interruptions is quite absurd. The pattern in question has gone on for about fifty years.

This is not a book for Bill Gates. Or Hillary Clinton, or Steven Spielberg. Clearly they have no trouble getting stuff done. For the great majority of us, though, what a comfort to discover that we’re not wastrels and slackers, but doers . . . in our own way. It may sound counterintuitive, but according to philosopher John Perry, you can accomplish a lot by putting things off. He calls it “structured procrastination”:

In 1995, while not working on some project I should have been working on, I began to feel rotten about myself. But then I noticed something. On the whole, I had a reputation as a person who got a lot done and made a reasonable contribution. . . . A paradox. Rather than getting to work on my important projects, I began to think about this conundrum. I realized that
I was what I call a structured procrastinator: a person who gets a lot done by not doing other things.

Celebrating a nearly universal character flaw, The Art of Procrastination is a wise, charming, compulsively readable book—really, a tongue-in-cheek argument of ideas. Perry offers ingenious strategies, like the defensive to-do list (“1. Learn Chinese . . .”) and task triage. He discusses the double-edged relationship between the computer and procrastination—on the one hand, it allows the procrastinator to fire off a letter or paper at the last possible minute; on the other, it’s a dangerous time suck (Perry counters this by never surfing until he’s already hungry for lunch). Or what may be procrastination’s greatest gift: the chance to accomplish surprising, wonderful things by not sticking to a rigid schedule. For example, Perry wrote this book by avoiding the work he was supposed to be doing—grading papers and evaluating dissertation ideas. How lucky for us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:25 -0400)

Explains the principles of structured procrastination and provides tips and techniques to chronic procrastinators for developing an attitude of acceptance for their accomplishments while enjoying the time they waste.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,555,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible