The Last Renegade by Jo Goodman

The Last Renegade (edition 2012)

by Jo Goodman (Author)

Member:Read2Me2010
Title:The Last Renegade
Authors:Jo Goodman (Author)
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites, Frontier, America, 19th Century 1801-1900, Romance, Mystery, Penguin/Obsidian/Berkley
Tags:Historical Western Romance

The Last Renegade by Jo Goodman

“The Last Renegade” by Jo Goodman was a page-turner for sure. It begins on a train traveling through 1888 Wyoming Territory where a man is murdered. Kellen Coltrane just happens to be on the same train and helps the victim, Nat Church. Or was it pure happenstance that Nat Church and Kellen Coltrane on that same train? This thought ran through my head all the while reading this novel. Lorraine (Raine) Berry, the “Widder” Berry has sent for help to rid her town Bitter Springs, from the clutches of the Burdicks. Men have been murdered, families torn apart by the strangle-hold the Burdicks have on the residents of Bitter Springs. “Nat Church” is the hero of many western novels. Was the real Nat Church murdered on that train? Is Nat Church a real person? What connection does Kellen Coltrane have with Nat Church? Then there are the romantic entanglements throughout the book. There are so many undercurrents running through the pages of this novel that it’s really hard to put the book down for long. Will Kellen be able to take care of the Burdicks and make Bitter Springs safe? Be prepared for surprises throughout this book. I guarantee you will find this an interesting read. I give it five stars!

I received a free copy of this book for my honest review from the publisher. The opinions expressed here are my own.

You can read my reviews at http://imhookedonbooks.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/the-last-renegade-by-jo-goodman
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
Based on other reviews it seems I'm in the minority on this, but I felt that the romance in this book took a backseat to everything else that was happening. Besides one kiss (which felt like it came from out of the blue), there was almost no build up to the relationship between Kellen and Raine. It lacked the emotional tension and/or excitement that I like to see in my romances as the characters get to know each other and fall in love. Over 100 pages in they have their first kiss with literally no build up to explain it. It just seemed to happen out of the blue. At no point before this was I shown or told that there was anything between them. And then eventually they get together, but again I was given very little indication of any deep feelings between them. The second half of the book became a little more emotive, but I still felt like their whole relationship had materialized out of thin air.

As for the mystery/action part, which I felt was more of the focus of the book, I wasn't completely satisfied with the final explanation. It's hard to get into it without giving anything away, but there were some loose ends that were never resolved, and certain questions that weren't fully answered, IMO. One character in particular, I still don't understand how he factored into everything b/c it was never fully explained.

I loved the characters of Rabbit and Finn, they constantly had me smiling. I almost wished they had played an even bigger role.

This was still an entertaining read, I finished it in one day. ( )
  emmytuck | Sep 27, 2013 |

SHE HIRED HIM TO PROTECT HER TOWN

As the owner of the Pennyroyal Saloon and Hotel, Lorraine Berry is privy to almost everything that goes on in Bitter Springs, Wyoming—including the bloodshed plaguing its citizens. With all of the good men dying at the hands of a local rancher and his three sons, Raine hires a shootist to be the town's protector. But her handsome new employee is more than a hired hand; he's a man that keeps his guns close and his secrets closer.

BUT NOTHING COULD PROTECT HER HEART

tragedy, Coltrane can't deny his growing desire for the courageous
widow, or the urge to protect her from the threat that draws near

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425250962, Mass Market Paperback)

SHE HIRED HIM TO PROTECT HER TOWN

As the owner of the Pennyroyal Saloon and Hotel, Lorraine Berry is privy to almost everything that goes on in Bitter Springs, Wyoming—including the bloodshed plaguing its citizens. With all of the good men dying at the hands of a local rancher and his three sons, Raine hires a shootist to be the town’s protector. But her handsome new employee is more than a hired hand; he’s a man who keeps his guns close and his secrets closer.

BUT NOTHING COULD PROTECT HER HEART

After a chance encounter on a train, Kellen Coltrane travels to the Pennyroyal to carry out a dying man’s last wish. But once he meets the hotel’s fiery-haired proprietor, Coltrane finds himself assuming the role of the shootist’s accomplice and agrees to protect Bitter Springs. And as he learns more about Raine’s own tragedy, Coltrane can’t deny his growing desire for the courageous widow, or the urge to protect her from the threat that draws near…

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:26 -0400)

"As the owner of the Pennyroyal Saloon and Hotel, Lorraine Berry is privy to almost everything that goes on in Bitter Springs, Wyoming--including the bloodshed plaguing its citizens. With all of the good men dying at the hands of a local rancher and his three sons, Raine hires a shootist to be the town's protector. But her handsome new employee is more than a hired hand; he's a man who keeps his guns close and his secrets closer. After a chance encounter on a train, Kellen Coltrane travels to the Pennyroyal to carry out a dying man's last wish. But once he meets the hotel's fiery-haired proprietor, Coltrane finds himself assuming the role of the shootist's accomplice and agrees to protect Bitter Springs. And as he learns more about Raine's own tragedy, Coltrane can't deny his growing desire for the courageous widow, or the urge to protect her from the threat that draws near..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible