Unbored: The Essential Field Guide to…

Unbored: The Essential Field Guide to Serious Fun (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Foy Larsen, Joshua Glenn, Heather Kasunick (Illustrator), Mister Reusch (Illustrator), Mark Frauenfelder (Introduction)

Member:terran
Title:Unbored: The Essential Field Guide to Serious Fun
Authors:Elizabeth Foy Larsen
Other authors:Joshua Glenn, Heather Kasunick (Illustrator), Mister Reusch (Illustrator), Mark Frauenfelder (Introduction)
Info:
Collections:2013, Your library, Favorites, Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:Activities, Children, Crafts, Experiments, Family activities, Games, Recreation, Teens, Trivia

Unbored: The Essential Field Guide to Serious Fun by Elizabeth Foy Larsen

This skewed a little old for Z but he liked flipping through this Make-meets-Keri Smith-vibe of this volume. Kind of reminded me of checking out my Kid's America book back in the day . . . loved the variety and scope of ideas. I'm sure we'll pick up a copy of our own instead of relying on a library copy at some point.

beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |
I checked this book out from my library system to see if it contained activities to do with my 7-year-old grandson. There are some activities and books that we could enjoy together, but most of it is geared toward a slightly older audience. If you have a gifted child, are home-schooling, or have a child with ADHD this book is full of great ideas. In fact, one section is titled "You have ADHD? Congratulations!" Having ADD/ADHD can make a kid's life tough, but there are benefits to having a busy brain: creativity, curiosity and persistence among them. If this book had been available 25 years ago, I definitely would have owned it to use with my son. I've got it on my wishlist, because I know my grandson will love the suggestions. ( )
  terran | Jan 14, 2013 |
Amusing compilation of lists, essays, interviews, trivia, excerpts, experiments, and suggestions for the tween crowd. Some good, unconventional ideas for interesting things to try out, and enough variety to make this a fun book to dip in and out of. I enjoyed the lists of off-the-beaten-path books and movies, and the nice design makes the book a pleasure to look through. ( )
  JBD1 | Jun 17, 2012 |

Elizabeth Foy Larsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Glenn, Joshuamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Frauenfelder, MarkIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kasunick, HeatherIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leone, TonyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reusch, MisterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"Unbored is the most original, entertaining, and instructive all-in-one book for kids ever published--jam-packed with information, ideas, and activities for children and their parents to share together. Vibrantly designed and illustrated, it's crammed with activities that are not only fun and doable, but get kids engaged in the wider world--and provides information to expand their worldviews, too, inspiring them to learn more. Right at the age where kids start to disappear into various screens, Unbored encourages them to use those tech skills in creative ways. Activities parents will remember from their childhoods are presented alongside bold new possibilities: science experiments, crafts and upcycling, board game hacking, code-cracking, geocaching, skateboard repair, yarn bombing, stop-action movie-making--plus tons of trivia, best-of lists, and forward-thinking ideas made accessible to kids. Unbored expertly walks the line between cool and constructive: parents will appreciate its wisdom and humor, its lessons in civic-mindedness and self-esteem, as well as its anti-perfectionist spirit. Kids will just think it's awesome"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,418,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible