Ahistory: An Unauthorised History of the…

Ahistory: An Unauthorised History of the Doctor Who Universe (2nd edition)

by Lance Parkin

Other authors: Lars Pearson (Contributor)

43None265,934 (4.72)None

This is a truly fantastic effort to locate every single Doctor Who story (shown/published/released up to January 2008) on the historical timeline, from before the Big Bang to the very End of Time. Although the cover claims it is the second edition, Parkin states that it is actually the fourth, and I hope it won't be the last; quite apart from the TV episodes of Who, Sarah Jane and Torchwood (and K9?) shown since then, perhaps he might also go back and think of including the various short story collections and annuals and the Big Finish spinoff audios and books (the Dalek comics from TV21 magazine are already in).

Having said that, there are already "almost 800" stories covered here in more than 800 pages, with around 4000 meticulous footnotes and various slightly longer essays. I now understand the UNIT dating controversy much better than I did before. I had not realised that the evidence for Bernice Summerfield's birthday is equally confusing. Parkin also goes to great lengths to demonstrate that several Second Doctor stories which I had mentally placed much later are probably set in the 21st century, and raises the interesting question of how the Cybermen in Earthshock could have obtained footage from Revenge of the Cybermen which is clearly set centuries later. There are other delightful details as well - I now know when the Doctor first met Winston Churchill (1899, in the Sixth Doctor novel Players) and have several more Shakespeare appearances to add to my list.

I picked up on just a couple of slips - an apostrophe has mysteriously infiltrated early mentions of the Scots Guards, and Susan reminisces about her home planet in The Sensorites, not Marco Polo. But in general I loved it. In particular, I think the book could be a useful gateway drug for fans of the TV series who are bewildered by the various series of Who books and audios, and are looking for guidance on where to start. ( )
  nwhyte | Jan 22, 2011 |
What can I say about this edition that I didn't already say about the first? The addition of the DWM comic strips to the timeline just makes a good book even better. This is the best researched Doctor Who chronology out there, trouncing the competition in terms of thoroughness and inclination to present opposing viewpoints. One might wish that the Gallifrey section was a little more coherent, I suppose, but that's my only complaint (aside from when Lance is wrong, of course). Here's hoping for the 3rd edition, though Lord knows what they'd add to beef up the page count that time.
  Stevil2001 | Aug 7, 2008 |

Lance Parkinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pearson, LarsContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The Second Edition of "AHistory" amends and vastly expands the work of the sold-out First Edition, continuing to incorporate the whole of Doctor Who into a single timeline. All told, this book takes nearly 800 full-length Doctor Who stories and dates them in a single chronology --- starting with the origin of the Universe and working its way forward through the various eras to the end of time. Specifically, this Second Edition covers... all Doctor Who TV episodes up through "Last of the Time Lords", the Series 3 finale; all "Doctor Who" novels from Virgin and the BBC, up through the New Series Adventure "Wooden Heart"; the Big Finish audio range up through "Frozen Time" (#98); all Torchwood Series 1 episodes and novels; the Sarah Jane Adventures pilot; all Telos novellas. In addition, this Second Edition incorporates the Doctor Who Magazine comic strip that has been running since 1979.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:20 -0400)

Lance Parkin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible