The Pigeon Pie Mystery: A Novel by Julia…

The Pigeon Pie Mystery: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Julia Stuart

Collections:Your library, Review copies, On Loan
Rating:****1/2
Tags:ARC, Contest win, fiction, England, Victoriana

The Pigeon Pie Mystery by Julia Stuart

The rather unique The Pigeon Pie Mystery delves into the lives of a host of interesting characters who reside in what was called a "grace-and-favor" situation in Hampton Court Palace at the end of the nineteenth century. This was a way for the Queen to grant a dignified living to those upper-class people who had found themselves fortuneless for one reason or another, mainly widows. Though Mink (officially Indian Princess Alexandrina) is young and vibrant, her father the Maharaja has died and she is left with nothing and is therefore grateful to be invited to reside at Hampton Court. She is accompanied by her servant and they settle in nicely, until they find themselves in a bit of trouble after a murder occurs.

Some parts of this story were a bit too coincidental and others a bit too cute. The main romance was silly but funny. But the period details and research were so well done and there was a bit of "girl power"involved in the story which helped make it a really fun read over all.

http://webereading.com/2014/06/a-three-story-trip-through-london.html ( )
  klpm | Jun 27, 2014 |
I've had this book for a year and tried to read it several times. No luck. This time when I picked it up and began to read it I could not put it down. I'm not going to provide story line information, that's easy for you to obtain - I am just going to say it is a good read. Although Princess Mink is the main character and I liked her, my favorite character is Pookie - you will have to read the book to see if you agree. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Apr 27, 2014 |
Really wonderful! I loved the language and the wit. It kept me laughing. Very satisfactory solution. I look forward to more from Ms. Stuart. She has a wonderful turn of phrase, a gift for characters and an eye for the absurd. I can't wait to get this on the shelves at my library so that I can share it with my patrons. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
An enjoyable mystery that rolls out a lot of questions and leaves the reader guessing as to the solutions. With a cast of curious characters to boot. ( )
  charlie68 | Feb 2, 2014 |
Unremarkable, whimsical. ( )
  Mithril | Aug 21, 2013 |

Julia Stuart returns in her follow-up to the bestselling The Tower, the Zoo and the Tortoise with this clever murder mystery set in Victorian England, brimming with her signature charm and fabulous characters.

When Indian Princess Alexandrina is left penniless by the sudden death of her father, the Maharaja of Brindor, Queen Victoria grants her a grace-and-favor home in Hampton Court Palace. Though rumored to be haunted, Alexandrina and her lady's maid, Pooki, have no choice but to take the Queen up on her offer.
     Aside from the ghost sightings, Hampton Court doesn't seem so bad. The princess is soon befriended by three eccentric widows who invite her to a picnic with all the palace's inhabitants, for which Pooki bakes a pigeon pie. But when General-Major Bagshot dies after eating said pie, and the coroner finds traces of arsenic in his body, Pooki becomes the #1 suspect in a murder investigation.
     Princess Alexandrina isn't about to let her faithful servant hang. She begins an investigation of her own, and discovers that Hampton Court isn't such a safe place to live after all.
     With her trademark wit and charm, Julia Stuart introduces us to an outstanding cast of lovable oddballs, from the palace maze-keeper to the unconventional Lady Beatrice (who likes to dress up as a toucan—don't ask), as she guides us through the many delightful twists and turns in this fun and quirky murder mystery. Everyone is hiding a secret of the heart, and even Alexandrina may not realize when she's caught in a maze of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:15 -0400)

Moving to the reputedly haunted Hampton Court Palace of Queen Victoria when her father's untimely death renders her penniless, Indian princess Alexandrina is befriended by three eccentric widows before her faithful lady's maid, Pooki, is wrongly accused of murder.… (more)

65 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,368,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible