The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle) by…

The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle) (edition 2013)

by Miles Cameron

Member:eyes.2c
Title:The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle)
Authors:Miles Cameron
Info:Orbit (2013), Edition: Reprint, Kindle Edition, 657 pages
Collections:Kindle
Rating:*****
Tags:Kindle, eBook, Fantasy, Canadian

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron

Recently added byFrozeninja, Debbie.Schuler, private library, -sunny-, DBReads, ChickensAreBrave, lkmiller, phflee

Got started but started getting lengthy. Miles Cameron definitely knows what he is talking about though. For people who like a detail this is the perfect book. ( )
  kaipakartik | Jul 27, 2014 |
This is very much an epic book with wonderful prose. But prepare for a time investment to come up to speed on everything. Personally, I think it was worth it.

My full review:
http://wildersbookreview.com/2013/07/26/the-red-knight-by-miles-cameron/ ( )
  tenaciousreader | May 24, 2014 |
Now this is totally why I read fiction
- good plot development
- a few surprises along the way
- a strong mythos that wasn't too strange and very well structure - I was able to follow the pieces and even guess at some of the structure
- a great consequences model (action ==> consequence)
- characters that are various shades of grey (stark black and white characters that are either good and evil are just too flat - they don't ring true to real life - every villain should have a redeeming point and every hero a failure or two - and this book does a great job of that)
- and finally, last but not least, characters you can associate with, love, and suffer with, and occasionally even hate
overall 95% (the only thing that could make it better would be this structure in a strict historical setting). ( )
  jason9292 | Mar 28, 2014 |
This is a nice blending of high fantasy and blood-and-guts fighting and it is no surprise to see that Cameron lists the likes of Tolkien and other similar authors among his influences.

The bare bones of Arthurian legend form the foundation for a truly fun & fantastic work. The characters are well-drawn, admirable, and entertaining. The pacing climbs throughout, with well-placed pauses for character and back-story development. The style is succinct without simplicity, and the use of language is well-rounded. Importantly to the author, the action within reflects the art of war in western armour and arms as well as any in the genre.

Set around a mercenary company led by the Red Knight including such memorable and memorably named characters such as Bad Tom, Sauce, and Wilful Murder that specialises in monster hunting the novels plot revolves around the band’s newest contract the protection of an Abbey from the forces of the Wild. A task that draws in a myriad of characters from kings and queens, to mages and witches, and ordinary folks.

Fans of both high fantasy and Joe Abercrombie-style action should both get something out of The Red Knight. As usual, the test for me is whether or not I want to keep reading. And the answer for that is a definite yes. ( )
  Jawin | Dec 26, 2013 |
This is going to be a difficult book to review, because there were times I loved it, times I hated it, times I was absolutely engaged in the story and times when I was bored senseless. An ambitious début, The Red Knight uses the well-used tropes of medieval epic fantasy to tell the story of a company of mercenaries who end up fighting in a war against daemons.

My initial reaction to the book was on one of admiration - the writing style was unique and the premise was interesting. A hundred pages later, I felt I wasn't getting anywhere; there were too many characters, too much to keep track of, and I couldn't imagine how on earth any of it could be connected. The Red Knight, in all his pompous glory, was starting to annoy me greatly. So I put the book down, but for some reason, couldn't get the characters or the world out of my head. The mercenaries and nuns, and their struggles against the supernatural power of the Wild, had gotten under my skin. So I read another hundred pages, and then a hundred more, and suddenly I couldn't put the book down!

Not fast-paced by any stretch of imagination, the plot of The Red Knight meanders in a languid fashion, and will frustrate most readers to the point where they feel like they should stop reading it. Rather like an avalanche, it begins with a few loose pebbles, in different areas of the mountain, that roll and bounce, and cause other stones to roll and bounce, until suddenly, the movement of the mountain is unstoppable. Those with the patience to see it through will undoubtedly be impressed.

One of the more outstanding aspects of this novel is the wide range of female characters in the cast, many of whom are given a point of view, and how some display strength and independence while others aren't self-sufficient at all and use their cunning to get by. My favourites are the Abbess, a deep and nuanced character who believes she is atoning for sins committed in her youth, and Amicia, who always knows what she wants even if it means making sacrifices. I think they're all awesome though, and I love the female mercenary, Sauce, especially.

Another thing I liked is the incredible detail the author pours into describing the armour and fortifications and battles in the story. Every battle scene is beautifully told, and I could imagine what was going on clearly. I also liked that the book didn't gloss over how difficult it is to get ready for a battle, and to disarm afterward - a lot of the time authors make it seem like armour magically gets on and off a knight's body, but Cameron takes special care in describing the intricacies involved.

Aside from the initial sluggishness of the plot, I also disliked the Red Knight's hubris, which caused him a lot of trouble, especially in his dealings with the Abbess and Amicia. He's abrasive, rude and blasphemous, and it took me a long, long time to see any redeeming qualities in him. The revelation about his youth, his upbringing and his experiences with his brothers certainly put a lot of it into perspective, and I have to admit I quite like him now!

My final, albeit minor, complaint is that my copy has quite a few errors. Heel is used instead of heal, words are missing letters, sometimes words are missing altogether. It just needs one more round of editing, in my opinion - I'd say there are 4 errors to every hundred pages, which probably doesn't seem like a lot, but we're talking about a 650 page tome! They stood out to me, and although I didn't catalogue them all, I know that I grew tired of the errors before I was even halfway through.

I ended up liking The Red Knight way more than I'd thought, but I remember what a struggle the first third of it was! I'd recommend it to readers looking for something new but familiar, who have a lot of time to dedicate to it. I'm looking forward to the next book, The Fell Sword, and getting to uncover more of The Red Knight's secrets (what did he say to the King!?). This is a very cool début, and I'm glad to have read it!

You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic. ( )
  alcarinqa | Sep 25, 2013 |
To my sister-in-law, Nancy Witt
The Captain of Albinkirk forced himself to stop staring out his narrow, glazed window and do some work.

This is a world dominated by The Wild. Man lives in pockets of civilisation claimed from The Wild. Within men's walls life is civilised, the peace punctuated by tournaments, politicking, courtly love and canny business. Beyond those walls men are prey - vulnerable to the exceptionally powerful and dangerous creatures which populate the land, and even more vulnerable to those creatures schemes. So when one of those creatures breaks out of The Wild and begins preying on people in their homes, it takes a specialist to hunt it down or drive it out ...and even then, it's a long, difficult and extremely dangerous job. The Black Captain and his men are one such group of specialists. They have no idea what they're about to face ...Forget George and the Dragon. Forget Sir Lancelot and tales of Knightly exploits. This is dirty, bloody work. This is violent, visceral action. This is a mercenary knight as you've never seen one before.

Twenty eight florins a month is a huge price to pay, for a man to stand between you and the Wild.

Twenty eight florins a month is nowhere near enough when a wyvern's jaws snap shut on your helmet in the hot stink of battle, and the beast starts to rip the head from your shoulders. But if standing and fighting is hard, leading a company of men - or worse, a company of mercenaries - against the smart, deadly creatures of the Wild is even harder.

It takes all the advantages of birth, training, and the luck of the devil to do it.

The Red Knight has all three, he has youth on his side, and he's determined to turn a profit. So when he hires his company out to protect an Abbess and her nunnery, it's just another job. The abby is rich, the nuns are pretty and the monster preying on them is nothing he can't deal with.

Only it's not just a job. It's going to be a war. . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:43 -0400)

This is a world dominated by The Wild. Man lives in pockets of civilisation claimed from The Wild. Within men's walls life is civilised, the peace punctuated by tournaments, politicking, courtly love and canny business. Beyond those walls men are prey - vulnerable to the exceptionally powerful and dangerous creatures which populate the land, and even more vulnerable to those creatures schemes. So when one of those creatures breaks out of The Wild and begins preying on people in their homes, it takes a specialist to hunt it down or drive it out and even then, it's a long, difficult and extremely dangerous job. The Black Captain and his men are one such group of specialists. They have no idea what they're about to face. Forget George and the Dragon. Forget Sir Lancelot and tales of Knightly exploits. This is dirty, bloody work. This is violent, visceral action. This is a mercenary knight as you've never seen one before.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,629,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible