The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle) by…

The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle) (edition 2013)

by Miles Cameron

Member:eyes.2c
Title:The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle)
Authors:Miles Cameron
Info:Orbit (2013), Edition: Reprint, Kindle Edition, 657 pages
Collections:Kindle
Rating:*****
Tags:Kindle, eBook, Fantasy, Canadian

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron

I loved this book. It's a great story with interesting characters and a lot of action. The only quibble I have is in the last 5% of the book or so (don't worry, I won't spoil it for you) there's a whole section which seems to ramble on a bit. It seemed like it was setting us up for more action, but I was very aware of the fact that there weren't enough pages for the finale which would be needed to wrap everything up. I can only guess that Mr. Cameron was laying the groundwork for the sequel but I felt that some of it was unnecessary.

Otherwise, it was a superb story and I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
The Red Knight is a high fantasy book overlayed with plausible demographics, economics, and medieval military nerdery. However, I don't know why Cameron chose to write it.

I came to The Red Knight as a fan of Cameron's Ancient Greek historical fiction, as well as someone decently read in high fantasy canon ranging from good (JRR Tolkien, GRR Martin) to awful (Terry Brooks).

The main character is perhaps too much of a cypher. His motivation is obscure until p.388 or so. A mysterious main character would be ok in historical fiction where real events draw the reader in, but in a high fantasy book the protagonist has to draw the reader into the world.

The world is fantasy medieval. There is a not-England, not-France, and a not-Byzantine Empire. There are also not-orcs, not-goblins, and not-trolls.

There are parallels with the Lord of the Rings, but it reads as neither commentary (see Abercrombie's First Law series) nor satire (Pratchett, perhaps) nor ripoff (Terry Brooks' Shannara). Being none of those, it seems like a book with nothing to say.

I would have preferred more historical fiction. ( )
  lpetrazickis | Jan 7, 2016 |
The Red Knight leads a mercenary company, this time he is up against multiple enemies from the wild, led by a magician who has embraced the Wild and wants to use it to conquer humanity. This looks at the battles from several points of view and honestly I had moments where I nearly put it down and walked away. Protecting a nunnery is going to be complicated. Particularly when they can use magic too and he has to face up to his magical heritage too.

Yeah, I would have liked fewer viewpoints and a tighter story, but by the end I wanted more. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 6, 2015 |
Got started but started getting lengthy. Miles Cameron definitely knows what he is talking about though. For people who like a detail this is the perfect book. ( )
  kaipakartik | Jul 27, 2014 |
This is very much an epic book with wonderful prose. But prepare for a time investment to come up to speed on everything. Personally, I think it was worth it.

My full review:
http://wildersbookreview.com/2013/07/26/the-red-knight-by-miles-cameron/ ( )
  tenaciousreader | May 24, 2014 |
To my sister-in-law, Nancy Witt
The Captain of Albinkirk forced himself to stop staring out his narrow, glazed window and do some work.

This is a world dominated by The Wild. Man lives in pockets of civilisation claimed from The Wild. Within men's walls life is civilised, the peace punctuated by tournaments, politicking, courtly love and canny business. Beyond those walls men are prey - vulnerable to the exceptionally powerful and dangerous creatures which populate the land, and even more vulnerable to those creatures schemes. So when one of those creatures breaks out of The Wild and begins preying on people in their homes, it takes a specialist to hunt it down or drive it out ...and even then, it's a long, difficult and extremely dangerous job. The Black Captain and his men are one such group of specialists. They have no idea what they're about to face ...Forget George and the Dragon. Forget Sir Lancelot and tales of Knightly exploits. This is dirty, bloody work. This is violent, visceral action. This is a mercenary knight as you've never seen one before.

Twenty eight florins a month is a huge price to pay, for a man to stand between you and the Wild.

Twenty eight florins a month is nowhere near enough when a wyvern's jaws snap shut on your helmet in the hot stink of battle, and the beast starts to rip the head from your shoulders. But if standing and fighting is hard, leading a company of men - or worse, a company of mercenaries - against the smart, deadly creatures of the Wild is even harder.

It takes all the advantages of birth, training, and the luck of the devil to do it.

The Red Knight has all three, he has youth on his side, and he's determined to turn a profit. So when he hires his company out to protect an Abbess and her nunnery, it's just another job. The abby is rich, the nuns are pretty and the monster preying on them is nothing he can't deal with.

Only it's not just a job. It's going to be a war. . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

This is a world dominated by The Wild. Man lives in pockets of civilisation claimed from The Wild. Within men's walls life is civilised, the peace punctuated by tournaments, politicking, courtly love and canny business. Beyond those walls men are prey - vulnerable to the exceptionally powerful and dangerous creatures which populate the land, and even more vulnerable to those creatures schemes. So when one of those creatures breaks out of The Wild and begins preying on people in their homes, it takes a specialist to hunt it down or drive it out and even then, it's a long, difficult and extremely dangerous job. The Black Captain and his men are one such group of specialists. They have no idea what they're about to face. Forget George and the Dragon. Forget Sir Lancelot and tales of Knightly exploits. This is dirty, bloody work. This is violent, visceral action. This is a mercenary knight as you've never seen one before.… (more)

52 wanted3 pay1 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,629,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible