Valley of Ashes (A Madeline Dare Novel) by…

Valley of Ashes (A Madeline Dare Novel) (edition 2012)

by Cornelia Read

Member:bookappeal
Title:Valley of Ashes (A Madeline Dare Novel)
Authors:Cornelia Read
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013

Valley of Ashes by Cornelia Read

Sigh, no stars because I quit barely into the second chapter. I had hoped I wouldn't get as critical and unaccepting in my "old age" as my parents were, but the world has changed and I haven't. The frequency of crude language just irritated me. And the minute to minute details of taking care of twins wasn't very interesting. I thought I could get beyond all of the "sh*t" and "f**k" - until the protagonist casually used these words when speaking to her mother in front of her children. That's when I quit.
  zoomball | Nov 3, 2013 |
Author: Cornelia Read
Published By: Grand Central Publishing
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 5

Review:

"Valley Of Ashes" by Cornelia Read was a really excellent mystery read. This novel had my attention from the first page and didn't lose any of it until the last word. I really enjoy this fourth book in the Madeline Dare series in that it brought the reader some fun, dark but yet a well written and even a personal read. For these two people...Dean and Madeline (Maddie/or Bunny) you would have thought that they had it all but that was not the case...for they had two only daughters (twins)..around one, a home that was 'perpetual mess,' money was tight, and a good night of sleep often was out of the question. Then, Madeline is offered a job at the local newspaper as a freelancer where she would critic restaurants. It was then that Madeline gets interested in a series of fires around the area...that come very close in that this story will reveal a series of arson attacks that blows up and the far-reaching effects will lead directly to the front door of Madeline and Dean. This is where I say you must pick up "Valley Of Ashes" to see what mystery comes from this excellent read. "Valley Of Ashes will have a very intriguing ending that will only leave you saying Wow.... I didn't set that coming! And the characters were all so well developed with a 'real psychological insight' only making this read more of a good mystery.

If you are looking for a good mystery that has marriage problems,young ones,feeling isolated in a new city, fires being set and even murder... you have come to the right place because "Valley Of Ashes" will take you there...and YES,I would recommend this novel as a excellent read. ( )
  arlenadean | Jan 28, 2013 |
I haven't read a Cornelia Read book since the first entry in the Madeline Dare series. Maddie is still sharp-tongued and funny but now she's the harassed mother of twins and her previously good husband has turned into a total jerk. Instead of fighting back, she morphs into a self-deprecating "little wife", blaming herself for her husband's awful behavior. Read starts off with a series of arsons but the whole story line is dropped abruptly in the middle of the novel. Then, it's all about Maddie and her awful life. The book falls apart in the last few chapters and Maddie's reaction to the final, unexpected event is offensively overblown (hard to explain without a spoiler) - much like Maddie's wise-cracking wit which is a lot funnier and more effective when used sparingly. And isn't 30-something Madeline Dare a little old to be calling people "dude"? 4 stars for the first half of the book; 2 stars for the second half. ( )
1 vote bookappeal | Jan 13, 2013 |
This is Cornelia Read's fourth book in her Madeline Dare series, and like the previous 3, it's keeping me up late turning pages. I'm also very fond of Madeline. She's not an obnoxious super-mom: she's just a hard worker who is doing her best while trying to find her purpose. Ms. Read is an excellent storyteller. Her prose is smart and witty, and her characters are straight-talking. I enjoy spending time with them. The plot is not contrived but it's very engaging because it's set in the not-too-distant past and feels like something I could have experienced.

Ms. Read outdid herself in this story. The characters exhibited such emotional depths that my heart went out to them...and to their author. Their anguish continues to haunt me, even after finishing the book. I can't wait for the next installment. ( )
  meacoleman | Oct 15, 2012 |
I'm very fond of Madeline Dare. She's smart, snarky, tough, and downright lovable. In her latest adventure she's moved to Boulder with husband Dean and is sorting through what it means to be a full-time mother to two twin toddlers. When I say "full-time mother" that's exactly what I mean - no working, no money of your own - in many ways blissful yet utterly dependent on the person who earns the money who may or may not deserve you and your efforts.

Valley of Ashes is a great story, but it's also a really sad one. Watching Madeline try to juggle everything, deal with some awful things happening with her friends and with her marriage is both inspiring and heartbreaking. Add to this the fact that her best friend is dealing with similar issues in her own marriage and I was too closely reminded of the time period before my divorce (different issues, but similar pain).

Women who get to stay home with their kids make a lot of sacrifices and are very lucky. I know I was grateful to spend the first 18 months of my son's life home with him. It created a bond that has been unbreakable our whole lives. It's tough work, but the reward is great. The choice definitely must be made with the right partner. In my experience money creates a power differential and when you're the one not making any you're usually the loser in that equation. I was fortunate that I didn't have that problem in my own situation, but many women aren't so lucky.

It was, as always, great to watch Madeline kick ass and take names and utterly heartbreaking to experience the outcomes with her. I hope she'll come back in a new place in her life when next we see her. Ms. Read is a great writer and in Madeline Dare she's created a heroine I won't soon forget. ( )
  kraaivrouw | Sep 10, 2012 |

Madeline Dare trades New York's gritty streets for the tree-lined avenues of Boulder, Colorado when her husband Dean lands a promising job. Madeline, now a full-time homemaker and mother to beautiful toddler twin girls, has achieved everything she thought she always wanted, but with her husband constantly on the road, she's fighting a losing battle against the Betty Friedan riptide of suburban/maternal exhaustion, angst, and sheer loneliness. A new freelance newspaper gig helps her get her mojo back, but Boulder isn't nearly as tranquil as it seems: there's a serial arsonist at large in the city. As Madeline closes in on the culprit, the fires turn deadly-and the stakes tragically personal. She'll need every ounce of strength and courage she has to keep the flames from reaching her own doorstep, threatening all she holds most dear.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:30 -0400)

Madeline Dare trades New York's gritty streets for the tree-lined avenues of Boulder, Colorado, when her husband Dean lands a promising job. As a freelance journalist in her new town, she closes in on a serial arsonist at large in the city.

19 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible