Past Tense by Nick Marsh

Past Tense (edition 2010)

by Nick Marsh (Author)

Collections:Ebooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, horror, supernatural, ebook

Past Tense by Nick Marsh

I love reading Nick Marsh books because not only do you get to laugh but you also learn something about physics, medicine and history as well! What I'm beginning to discover in this particular series is that it's very inconvenient to one's lifestyle to be a conduit (basically a doorway between worlds) as people, spirits and things from other worlds just wouldn't leave you alone and you'd seldom get a minute's peace, invariably having to save the world every couple of months or whenever strange life forms show up, unannounced. The conduit, in this case, called Alan, is just like you and me and hasn't got anything special going on, except maybe a wise-cracking way of looking at the world which is definitely his strong point. He also has good taste in women, like Kate, for instance, even if she doesn't dig him back and who has seriously bad taste in men. Note to author: When are these two ever going to get together? Do I have to read the third in the series to find out? Is there a third in the series? Please say yes. ( )
  davis22star | May 11, 2014 |
This is a sequel to "Soul Purpose", which I enjoyed very much (review here). "Soul Purpose" had an ordinary vet and a psychic dragged into a nasty supernatural plot, and surviving against the odds. "Past Tense" draws them further out of the ordinary, and sends them on a trip through time.

Marsh's style is much the same as ever, and I enjoyed spending a bit more time with the characters. However, I wasn't quite as happy with the plot as in "Soul Purpose". This is partly because it steps away from the "wrong place, wrong time" way that Alan stumbled into things, and reveals him as a unique individual and Chosen One. I'm a bit wary of that trope, and didn't feel it was particularly called for. I also felt that, while the time-travel idea was interesting, it meant dropping a lot of the everyday characterisation that I'd enjoyed in "SP", while the characters struggle to handle Roman Britain. I'm not saying it's a bad book, but the shift away from aspects I'd liked in the previous book meant I didn't enjoyed as much. That being said, it's still a perfectly decent read. ( )
  Shimmin | Nov 24, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,274,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible