The Trinity Game by Sean Chercover

The Trinity Game

by Sean Chercover

English (14)  Italian (1)  All languages (15)
Überraschend gelungener Thriller im Wander- und TV-Prediger-Milieu, angenehm trocken und auf den Punkt. Sean Chercover werde ich im Auge behalten! ( )
  Horrortorte | May 17, 2019 |
Daniel Byrne is a priest attached to the Office of the Devil's Advocate at the Vatican. That's the office that argues the negative case in the process of approving a new Catholic saint. (Christopher Hitchens most famously was a Devil's Advocate in the examination of Mother Theresa.)

Father Byrne is charged with investigating reports of miracles around the globe. It is completely unclear how he came to be in this job after only four years in the priesthood, if we are to believe the math in the book, but that's the story. Father Byrne is one of the Church's best investigators, cleverly tracking down false claims wherever they arise, but he keeps an open mind, always hoping against hope that some day he will find a miracle that will prove that God acts in our world.

Well, one day he finds one. The uncle who raised him, Tim Trinity, now the leader of a Pentecostal mega church, is delivering prophesies on TV. Father Byrne is sent to investigate and is knocked for a loop by the power of memory as he is thrown back into his childhood following his con artist uncle from revival to revival extracting cash from sinners. But when he meets his uncle he finds a changed man. One who really seems to be speaking prophesies. What is going on? How is he managing the con? Why would God's chosen predict horse races?

The mob, understandably upset at the prospect of gambling losses, blows up Tim's church and Daniel hits the road with uncle Tim in tow. But the mob isn't the most dangerous foe, the church doesn't want Tim's story told either.

I think the book would have been pretty good if Mr. Chercover had left it at that but he brings in another thread, two opposing secret organizations (think Masons or Templars), one seeming good, one seeming evil, to carry us into the trilogy. I think this thread drags the book down unnecessarily.

I received a review copy of "The Trinity Game: The Daniel Byrne Trilogy, Book 1" by Sean Chercover (Thomas & Mercer) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jul 8, 2017 |
Daniel Byrne is a priest, used by the Vatican to investigate miracles.
Unfortunately for him, he's a bit too honest when it doesn't pay to do so, so it looks like he will be sidelined, until he gets a chance to redeem himself by exposing his uncle, a TV evangelist who has been exhibiting some very strange characteristics.
The closer he looks at the things, the more it seems that his uncle's miraculous characteristics might just be real. Unfortunately, this does not suit anyone--government or church. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
100% over the top thriller, but hugely entertaining. There is need to suspend disbelief to gain maximum enjoyment. Starts as if it is an updated "Devil's Advocate' but then revs up and veers off into a well researched tale of TV evangelist who may become a tool of God, or not. Lots about the impact, then & now, of Hurricane Katrina on New Orleans, which grabbed my sympathy. I will certainly look for Sean Chercover, both his backlist and what comes next. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
Started December 27th, 2013.
Lent this with Amazon Prime on my Kindle, so I do not have to buy it, not really free, as the Amazon Prime Membership costs a yearly fee. The fee is Eur 29 in Germany about half of the US-Fee, but we get no videos, only free shipping for a lot of things and 1 book to lend per month.
The book is about the Church-Vatican-Process to probe miracles and wonders to give someone the Sainthood.
The main character is the Devils Advocate who has the job to expose fraud and deception.
A long time ago I read the [b:The Devil's Advocate|56961|The Devil's Advocate (Loyola Classics)|Morris L. West|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1388469522s/56961.jpg|55489] in German translation, but cannot remember much, so I cannot compare these two books, but the main theme seems similar, obviously.
The first few chapters jump between the main character in the present, to past events and another important character and his works, a bit much, but the chapters are short and it is easy to take a break.
Currently book runs toward a bloody ending, as far as I can guess, and as the ending is more like a revelation with this book, pun intended, I cannot really say now if it is a book I will recommend. Might get 4 stars for being a fast read and a good take on the topic.
So, no 4 stars for this book.
No twists in the end, rather it played out as expected - not very crafty, imho the author could have built a different explanation or ending.
The fight scene was pretty good, but did nothing to save the book, it ended as I expected.
Even the hint at more mysteries or wonders and a possible sequel to this book did not surprise me.
Given that: despite a solid 3 stars, I do not recommend this book, unless the wonder-mystery-relegious-theme interests you.
And I will most probably hesitate and investigate before lending or buying another book by this author.
As it is I am glad I did not pay directly for this book.

This is the last book I read in 2013, my 94th, being 10 short of the planned 104 - not enough for 2 books/week.
Of these books 92 where ebooks, just 2 (two) printed books.
In my native German 9 books (some from German authors, the others from non-english writers translated into German), the other 85 in English.

Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
"For nothing is hidden, except to be revealed . . . "
Mark 4:22
For my father
Murray H. Chercover
(August 18, 1929 – July 3, 2010)
I love you, Dad.
The Deceiver had not yet arrived, but the multitudes preceded him, and Jackson Square was packed.

"Daniel Byrne is an investigator for the Vatican's secretive Office of the Devil's Advocate--the department that scrutinizes miracle claims. Over ten years and 721 cases, not one miracle he tested has proved true. But case #722 is different; Daniel's estranged uncle, a crooked TV evangelist, has started speaking in tongues--and accurately predicting the future. Daniel knows Reverend Tim Trinity is a con man. Could Trinity also be something more? The evangelist himself is baffled by his newfound power--and the violent reaction it provokes. After years of scams, he suddenly has the ability to predict everything from natural disasters to sports scores. Now the mob wants him dead for ruining their gambling business, and the Vatican wants him debunked as a false messiah. On the run from assassins, Trinity flees with Daniel's help through the back roads of the Bible Belt to New Orleans, where Trinity plans to deliver a final prophecy so shattering his enemies will do anything to keep him silent"… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,830,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible