The Assassin's Curse (Strange Chemistry) by…

The Assassin's Curse (Strange Chemistry) (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Title:The Assassin's Curse (Strange Chemistry)
Authors:Cassandra Rose Clarke
Info:Strange Chemistry (2012), Paperback, 320 pages

The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Egalley thanks to Strange Chemistry

I'm a bit disappointed with this book, folks. In theory it should be brilliant - a pirate girl and an assassin... But in reality, it's a ragged, overly simplified and very short narration of a story that ended so suddenly I had to verify I had the full version of an ebook. Which I did. Perhaps it's meant for a younger YA audience despite that the main heroine herself is 17?

Ananna refuses to marry a fellow pirate's son, runs away without talking to her parents or friends or anyone, when he proposes, and his family sends an assassin to kill her for the offence. The whole situation from the very beginning is baffling... There is no prevarication, gathering the supplies or pleading her case with her parents. She. Just. Runs. For a pirates' daughter she sure acts incredibly stupid.

Naji, the assassin (mysteriously disfigured) has a certain curse on him, which activates when someone saves him, and that someone is Ananna. Now they are both trying to escape people sent to kill her and strange creatures from The Mist that constantly attempt to kill Naji, while our couple is trying to free him from the curse.

Ananna and Naji, they are an odd couple. Ananna doesn't think or analyse much, and we can not get into Naji's head at all. I don't know him. I only know what he does, and it's all just bits and pieces, so I couldn't grasp their characters at all. Naji also acts like a teenage boy incredibly vulnerable about his appearance most of the time although I felt that he should have been older and more mature. He kills people for living. It should provide certain air of soullessness not moping, shouldn't it?

Overall, it felt like I was supposed to like The Assassin's Curse, but I didn't get it. So sorry, guys! I wish you more luck with it than I had. Plenty of people loved it well enough, it just wasn't complex enough or deep enough for my liking. Oh well. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Ananna is a pirate's daughter that ran away from an arrange marriage. So her fiance's father sends an assassin after her (Naji). However, somehow she triggers a curse and they are bound together. With a lot of enemies chasing them they need to cooperate to survive.

This book was fun to read, The story is beautiful and the plot is fresh. In addition I didn't feel bored while am reading it. Seriously, there was no dull moment in this book. Ananna is really amazing character. She is quite tough , a true heroine. If I am going to an adventure I will definitely take her with me. Naji, I really love him but by the end I wanted to shake some sense into him. Anyway there is a sequel so I am sure he will get some common sense.

The writing was fabulous. I liked specifically the whole desert, magic theme. And CAMELS I love them :). I was able to picture everything clearly in my mind which was fantastic, a sign that the writing was that good.i loved the interactions between ananna and naji (they are so cute *.*).

In conclusion, If you are a fan of fantasy and CAMELS . You need to read this book right now O.O.
I give this book 5 out 5 because it is just that awesome. Easily added to my favorites list, I can't wait, I need to read the second book right now . ( )
  hadeer | Jul 9, 2015 |
Ananna is a pirate princess, and her parents have arranged for her to marry the son of an allied, influential pirate captain. On the day of their marriage, Ananna gives her betrothed the slip and runs off, hiding for several days, until she is told by a mysterious shopkeeper that Tarrin's family have hired an assassin to deal with her. When they finally come face to face in the desert, Ananna manages to save Naji's life after a brief fight, triggering a curse; now Naji has no choice but to protect her. Together they travel to find a way to break the enchantment.

I read some glowing reviews about this book, the first part in a duology, but I have to admit that I did not get on with it at all. While the descriptions of the town and the desert were quite evocative, the problem to me was that we see everything through Ananna's eyes, and I found her incredibly irritating. Her range of vocabulary and way of speaking and thinking reminded me of an uneducated, foul-mouthed 10-year-old, and though she constantly reminds the reader of a growing attraction between her and Naji, I found very little evidence of chemistry between the two in the text. Naji is by far the more interesting character, but we learn next to nothing about him, and something just didn't ring true about the whole set-up. About two-thirds of the way through I actually gave up because I didn't really care about what happened next, but I'm sure that everything will be resolved in the end to bring Ananna and Naji together, sans curse. To me it all felt terribly teenage-girl - no offence - but I won't be picking up the story in the second part. ( )
  passion4reading | Mar 12, 2015 |
What magnificent imagery. While reading my imagination came alive. I honestly felt like I was there. The story is one we have heard before; someone saves another person's life, and now they are bound to them. But, it is not the plot you fall in love with. It is the imaginative world, and how the characters interact in it.
I do hope the next book explains more of the magic, the different types, and how it all works.

Ahnya | Feb 12, 2015 |
Pretty decent beginning, and fairly well written. There wasn't much slight that makes the main character to run off. I don't really get this cast/class system. That and the modern language used in the supposed pre-modern settings. Is it done purposely?

I do like the assassin character; his pessimistic attitude strikes a chord of camaraderie with me. ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Strange Chemistry is the publisher, not the name of this series.

Pirate princess saves
The life of an assassin
And triggers a curse.

Ananna of the Tanarau abandons ship when her parents try to marry her off to another pirate clan. But that only prompts the scorned clan to send an assassin after her. When Ananna faces him down one night, armed with magic she doesn't really know how to use, she accidentally activates a curse binding them together. To break the spell, Ananna and the assassin must complete three impossible tasks all while grappling with evil wizards, floating islands, haughty manticores, runaway nobility, strange magic...and the growing romantic tension between them. -- publisher.… (more)

27 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,860,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible