The Assassin's Curse (Strange Chemistry) by…

The Assassin's Curse (Strange Chemistry) (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Member:poetrytoprose
Title:The Assassin's Curse (Strange Chemistry)
Authors:Cassandra Rose Clarke
Info:
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy

The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Recently added byRenn_22, Weraz, forsakenfates, terralech

Pretty decent beginning, and fairly well written. There wasn't much slight that makes the main character to run off. I don't really get this cast/class system. That and the modern language used in the supposed pre-modern settings. Is it done purposely?

I do like the assassin character; his pessimistic attitude strikes a chord of camaraderie with me. ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Damn, I love the books Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry pick. And I just saw a review complaining that these books are a-okay with homosexuality, pre-marital sex and masturbation. Okay, I'm in.

So, okay, I don't love this in the way I loved The Mad Scientist's Daughter. It's different, lighter. I really did enjoy it, though. I enjoyed how capable the main female character is, and how it's really her that keeps pulling the powerful assassin's bacon out of the fire. I liked how they interact, how prickly they both are, and how the romantic subplot doesn't seem inevitable from the start even when we have a story that apparently involves love's first kiss.

I enjoyed the world building, too, the types of magic, the not-typically-Western setting (it kicks off with Annana stealing a camel!). At times things seem a little too easy, the pace a little uneven, but it really wasn't enough to get in the way of the fact that it's a fun adventure, and I want the next book now. ( )
  shanaqui | Feb 12, 2014 |
This is resoundingly a 3 star book. It's a short book but even taking that into consideration it feels like it's barely begun when it ends. Nothing is especially good or bad about it. It just feels like I've finished the first act and this is probably why I tend to shy away from shorter books. I also sympathised heavily with the heroine because I think the author was treating me much like she is. I'm in a constant state of frustration at the lack of explanation of anything that happens in the book so I guess that's a positive in a way. ( )
  NovaStalker | Feb 11, 2014 |
I received this book from Netgalley.

Well, I think this was a good story, written in a lousy way. Either that, or the target audience wasn't 16 , but 10 instead. However, I don't see how tat could be possible since there was crud and offensive language throughout, as well as bloody action scenes.

I can say that the story has potential, but the way it's written doesn't do it justice.

At any rate, I love pirate stories and assassin stories. Seeing them put together in one place felt sort of nice. However, the characters were quite base, there was no depth to them, which was sad.

I was repulsed by Annanna's use of language a lot. Sure, she was a pirate, raised around vulgar brutes and their manners, or lack of, has rubbed off on her, but... I just didn't like it. I did like her inner voice however, even though at times it just sounded silly.

The assassin, Naji, seemed too nice to be what he was. But I guess there had to be some redeeming quality in him, so the story could be formulated or whatever. Anyway, just like most men, he was more captivated bu outward beauty than the inner qualities in a woman. Which is why I firmly believe he deserved the curse he got.

Aaand, the ending was just... I dunno... to unrealistic. Especially the breaking the curse part. Seriously? The last condition to break the curse was just hilarious!

Anyway, I don't think I'd be reading on on this series, to tell the truth, though I kind of want to know what will happen next. But umm... no. Not even that is enough to tempt me. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
The Assassin's Curse is not your typical young adult fantasy novel. First of all, it's set in a distinctly non-European world and features multiple people of color - no whitewashing! In fact, the white northerners are described as savage barbarians; I'm not sure if this is progress exactly, but at least it's different. The worldbuilding is rich and evocative, though there's still quite a bit of mystery surrounding the Otherworld - a strange, magical, alternate realm.

In addition, The Assassin's Curse stands out because of the relationship between the main characters, Ananna and Naji. In most young adult fantasy novels I've read, the heroine is overflowing with romantic attention. Here, Ananna's unrequited feelings came as an unexpected and refreshing surprise. I'm interested to finally read a story where the heroine has to win over the hero instead of vice versa.

But the real reason why I enjoyed The Assassin's Curse so much is Ananna herself. Though she struck me impulsive and irresponsible at first, I soon came to love her confidence and strength of will. Ananna doesn't take any crap, and she ends up rescuing Naji just as many times as he rescues her. I also love that Ananna isn't pretty. In contrast to the thousands of novels written about beautiful people, this story is about a girl who knows she's not beautiful and does whatever the f*** she wants anyway. In contrast to Naji's crippling insecurity about his appearance, Ananna accepts herself just the way she is.

Even so, Ananna still has plenty of flaws. In particular, she unfairly stereotypes beautiful people as stuck-up and spoiled, a viewpoint that is understandable from her perspective and adds layers to her characterization. The problem I have with this is that the stereotype is reinforced in the novel by the evil ex-girlfriend Leila, and Ananna's presumption that all beautiful people are selfish and shallow is totally confirmed. The treatment of beautiful people in the novel is similar to the way racial stereotypes have been reversed; it's effective in helping us recognize the disparities in our own culture, but it's also simplistic. By merely reversing which group of people is looked down on, it feels like an opportunity has been missed to overcome prejudice and confront these issues in a deeper, more meaningful way.

Despite my minor disappointments, I found The Assassin's Curse surprisingly entertaining and different. Even though the plot is mostly spent traveling, it moves along at a decent pace, and the imaginative setting drew me in from the start. But, ultimately, it's the characters that kept me glued to the page. I fell in love with Ananna and can't help rooting for her to succeed. I'm definitely going to pick up The Pirate's Wish to see how the story concludes. ( )
  les121 | Dec 15, 2013 |
Strange Chemistry is the publisher, not the name of this series.

Ananna of the Tanarau abandons ship when her parents try to marry her off to another pirate clan. But that only prompts the scorned clan to send an assassin after her. When Ananna faces him down one night, armed with magic she doesn't really know how to use, she accidentally activates a curse binding them together. To break the spell, Ananna and the assassin must complete three impossible tasks all while grappling with evil wizards, floating islands, haughty manticores, runaway nobility, strange magic...and the growing romantic tension between them. -- publisher.… (more)

9 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,409,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible