Say You're Sorry by Michael Robotham

Say You're Sorry (edition 2012)

by Michael Robotham

Member:caitemaire
Title:Say You're Sorry
Authors:Michael Robotham
Info:Sphere (2012), Hardcover
Tags:Early Reviewers, random, fiction

Say You're Sorry by Michael Robotham

Recently added byrcruickshank4, private library, JudithDCollins, fvg

English (31)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (33)
Sydney’s award-winning author, Michael Robotham delivers a chilling spine tingling, suspenseful, crime psychological thriller, leaving you holding your breath, with his (Joseph O'Loughlin #6) Say You’re Sorry.

Two young girls from a small English village disappear after a local Bingham fair on the last weekend of the summer holidays. The two girls are best friends: Piper Hadley and Tash McBain, known as the The Bingham Girls, after a long investigation with no leads.

Three years after their disappearance, a couple is brutally murdered in their farmhouse in a terrible blizzard and psychologist Joe O’Loughlin was asked to help profile their suspect, a troubled young man, who is hearing voices and talks to a brother who isn’t there and hands with burns.

Ironically, Joe has discovered the farmhouse was where Tash had lived with her family three years earlier. Tash was very street smart (not so much book smart), flirty, sexy, beautiful and promiscuous and Piper is quite the opposite, as quiet, likes to write, and athletic. The girls come from different backgrounds.

Tash, lower middle class troubled family attending a prestigious private school on a scholarship; whereas, Piper’s former model mother and wealthy banker family lived in a classy upscale neighborhood. After three long years of dead end leads, the police considered the girls runaways.

When the police ask for Joe’s help in solving the double murder, another young woman’s body is found frozen in a nearby lake. Are these crimes connected? Joe persuades the police to re-open the girl’s case for a race against time to put together the pieces before the killer strikes again.

Wow, what an emotional and intense psychological thriller, as am still holding my breath!! The cell phone/woods' scene was award-winning. Was glued to my iPod and daring anyone to interrupt me, and if so-- rewinding as did not want to miss a beat. Sean Barrett delivers an excellent performance, as his accent and voice are chilling, matching the tone and suspense with the author, brilliantly.

Joe’s character was well drawn and pulls you in with his troubled personal life with father/daughter relationship, and Parkinson’s as readers will sympathize with him and his situation, while mixed with light humor. I also enjoyed the alternating POV with Piper and Joe, and interaction with friend, ex-cop Vincent Ruiz, who works with him on the complex case—for a gripping page turner.

This was my first book by Robotham, and can be read as a standalone without reading the previous books in the series. However, am so intrigued want to go back and read the previous books. Have already purchased #7 Watching You audiobook and currently reading (thus far, very good). Looking forward to reading Life or Death, coming March, 2015.

Highly recommend to fans of compelling, entertaining, fast paced and intense, suspenseful psychological revenge thrillers. A perfect read to curl up with, for a weekend at a cabin by the fire, with relation to the snow and approaching Christmas holidays in the book.

Judith D. Collins Must Read Books

JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
After reading The Wreckage (book 5 in the Joe O'Laughlin series) where Joe played very little to no part in the book, I was very happy to see him return in this story. He did not disappoint me. I love me some Joe.

Natasha (Tash) McBain and Piper Hadley are girls that I will probably never forget. This story is centered around them; the hunt for them since they were abducted the last Saturday of the summer holidays or are they merely runaways?

The first book I read in this series was Shatter in 2010 (before I knew it was a series and you can only imagine what it did to my OCD tendencies to find out it was book 3 but that's another story) and now in 2013 I'm still talking about that book. As a matter of fact, when I read the name Gideon Tyler in this book, I swear, I got nervous.

Anyhow, what I'm trying to say is that this book is every bit of Shatter's equal. I couldn't put it down; it made my heart race; it made me nervous, sad and at times, even happy.

Michael Robotham is one heck of writer and I can't wait to read Watching You.

I'd easily give this book 6, 7, 8 stars if I could.
I will recommend this book until people are tired of hearing me preach Michael Robotham. ;) ( )
  Sharn | Nov 4, 2014 |
A very intense book, that kept me reading for quite a while (night stand books are rarely read in one sitting;-) ). I liked it a lot, it was not predictable and I liked the voice of Piper that was mixed into the story. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Michael Robotham has written another brilliant suspenseful psychological crime thriller about two missing girls that disappeared over three years ago, did they run away or did something criminal happen to them. The story is told from two mode of narration perspectives, bringing you from where the missing girls are and what the authorities are doing to try too solve this mystery. The style that he writes in keeps the reader guessing upon the outcome, but never really getting there till the final pages are read. ( )
  Gatorhater | Jul 24, 2014 |
Not Sorry about Reading this!
Michael Robotham has written another brilliant psychological crime thriller with Say You’re Sorry. This is a fast past thriller that literally keeps you guessing all the way to the end of the book for the reveal as to who the perpetrator is but unlike other books we are not given a hint as to who is and by then it is too later and everything is literally against the clock to rescue and save the victim before she dies. To solve a double murder case the police need to solve an old case of two missing teenage girls to enable them to find their murderer.

Professor Joe O’Loughlin is a Clinical Psychologist who splits his time between the NHS and the Crown Prosecution Service assessing those accused or found guilty of crimes. He differs in that he suffers from Parkinson’s and it is in the main controlled by prescribed medication. One weekend before Christmas he is Oxford with his daughter, he is there to deliver a lecturer at a conference while his daughter will go shopping. As he waits to check out of the hotel the police come and ask him to review a suspect accused of a double homicide that has mental health problems.

From here he is drawn in to the murder case and then a cold case of two missing teenager girls who have been not been seen in three years. Somehow and from somewhere one of the girls turns up dead, frozen to death and only recently. The Police need Joe, who helps guide them in their investigation and search, especially as he has been asked to review the original missing persons’ case. Joe realised that this is now a race against time to find the other girl, whether she be alive or dead. The suspects come and go but there is no clear perpetrator the clues are there and it is Joe who eventually reveals the who it is, whether he saves the girl you will have to read for yourself!

This is a brilliant psychological thriller that sees the police trying to use all techniques to find their perpetrator and Robotham does not make it easy for the reader to see who is the guilty man. This is an exciting read that in parts is heart-breaking and you wonder if there is any hope left for the victim. ( )
  atticusfinch1048 | Jan 20, 2014 |

TWO MISSING GIRLS. TWO BRUTAL MURDERS. ALL CONNECTED TO ONE FARM HOUSE. WHO IS TO BLAME?

When pretty and popular teenagers Piper Hadley and Tash McBain disappear one Sunday morning, the investigation captivates a nation but the girls are never found.

Three years later, during the worst blizzard in a century, a husband and wife are brutally killed in the farmhouse where Tash McBain once lived. A suspect is in custody, a troubled young man who can hear voices and claims that he saw a girl that night being chased by a snowman.

Convinced that Piper or Tash might still be alive, clinical psychologist Joe O'Loughlin and ex-cop Vincent Ruiz, persuade the police to re-open the investigation. But they are racing against time to save the girls from someone with an evil, calculating and twisted mind...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:12 -0400)

Joe O'Loughlin investigates the murder of a married couple during a horrible London blizzard, but does not believe that the prime suspect--a troubled young man who reported the killings but cannot explain why he was at the crime scene--is really the killer.… (more)

Michael Robotham is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

88 wanted3 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Say You're Sorry by Michael Robotham was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible