a Lamp at Midday: a collection of poetry…

a Lamp at Midday: a collection of poetry (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by Judy Croome

Member:sentimental13
Title:a Lamp at Midday: a collection of poetry (Volume 1)
Authors:Judy Croome
Info:Aztar Press (2012), Paperback, 82 pages

a Lamp at Midday: a collection of poetry (Volume 1) by Judy Croome

I received this book as a member giveaway item several months ago. I was taking a creative writing workshop at the time and kept returning to the book periodically throughout the semester. I wanted to be able to better speak to it critically as well as provide what I appreciated about the work. Croome provides insight into the darkest depths of her life and allows the reader to connect on a deeper level. What I suspect is a vibrant personality in real life comes across on the page--and that is no small feat. She doesn't come across too didactic; rather Croome has produced a collection of poetry that showcases her ability as an artist to create concrete images and connect them to abstract ideas. Croome speaks about life and love and loss; she does not waver from the difficult subjects. The poems about love are not trite; they are heartfelt and sincere and include a depth of feeling that is not easily achieved. I especially recommend "Memories of Love" in this respect. I appreciated the inclusion of "My Facebook Friends" and how it navigates the space between the internet and in-person interactions in order to consider what it means to be a friend. She deals with issues of cultural mores and traditional roles in poems like "The Gender Police." Croome ends the collection with "Will Anyone Ever Read This?" It's an apt title and an apt concern and consideration. As a poet, one desires to communicate something meaningful to the world, but there is often the question of whether the work will be accepted and appreciated. If you're interested in poetry and the depth of human emotion, consider reading Croome's "ordinary dreams." ( )
  sentimental13 | Jan 29, 2013 |
Some of these poems were simple, while some were complex. However, they all painted vivid pictures. I liked the author's choice of words. Not a bad read. ( )
  eheinlen | Jan 13, 2013 |
Reviewed on Amazon UK on 23 Aug 2012
By MazPa
Format:Paperback
a Lamp at Midday: a collection of poetry: 1
Will no one ever read this asks the author?
Well I did and it reached way across the oceans to Scotland.
The poetry was so obviously straight from the authors heart!
Some reminded me of my late father and a silent tear was shed.
I loved the sentiment and the anguish expressed in a way that was simple yet to the point.
My favourite though was "My Love".
I had a good laugh at this and shared it with MY love.
Thank you Judy for sharing this with me. ( )
  Thistle2 | Sep 30, 2012 |
I read this last month & really enjoyed it! I didn't realize that the author was from South Africa which gave incredible insight to many of the poems, but it also allowed the reader to step out of the box & contemplate where that author was or what was seen at the time of some of these poems. It was nice to find haiku poems in a book with others. A true keeper, something for Sunday afternoons when my son is taking his nap. Don't forget your cup of tea! ( )
  fashionablyloud1 | Sep 9, 2012 |
I thought the poems were well thought out and were thought provoking. ( )
  choir267 | Sep 4, 2012 |
‘Death is not the extinguishing of the light ... it is the putting out of the lamp because a new dawn has come.’ Rabindranath Tagore
For Isaac Benjamin Heinemann (31.10.1928 to 26.02.2012)
my “pardner”, my hero, my father and, always,
for Beric John Croome, my lover, my husband, my best friend
Into the Full Moon

Containing a wide selection of poems, A LAMP AT MIDDAY gives voice to the contrasts and contradictions of modern life. As they challenge complex emotions and explore timeless themes, these poems also have relevance for the reader's own life. This personal collection of poems is a vivid celebration of one woman's spiritual questioning and earthly existence, speaking with a haunting intensity of life, loss and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:56 -0400)

Judy Croome is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,366,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible