Love Anthony by Lisa Genova

Love Anthony (2012)

by Lisa Genova

House Rules: A Novel by Jodi Picoult (Iudita)
    Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both books provide some insight into children who have ASD.

English (56)  German (1)  All (57)
I think this is more of a 3.5, but the ending was such a contrived gift-wrapped one, that it kind of diluted the entire book. Sure, there is a lot of willing suspension of disbelief, and you so know where the whole marriage issue in the book is going, but it read well. No point comparing it to the marvellous Still Alice. That was a classic. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
Another good book by Lisa Genova. Once you start you'll want to finish it as soon as you can.

Love Anthony tells the story of Olivia, whose eight-year-old autistic son has passed away. She comes to Nantucket to find some answers to questions that have been nagging at her about Anthony. "Why my son?" "Why my family?"

It also tells the story of Beth, a stay-at-home mom who is recently separated from her husband after finding out about his cheating. Alone, she rekindles her passion for writing. A passion she can share with Olivia. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
4.5 stars

I loved both of Lisa Genova’s previous books and this one is no exception. It’s not only a book about autism but it’s also about love, grief, friendship and marriage. She writes beautifully in Anthony’s voice and brings a new understanding about autism.

There is an element of the “otherworldly”, which could be cheesy in the hands of a lesser author, but Genova handles that element well. Parents of children with autism have praised Genova’s novel as one that provides an imagined window into the thoughts and feelings of their children and also highlights the emotions and challenges of parenting such a child. The author knows her subject well and interviewed many parents prior to writing the novel. It certainly will make me think twice before silently criticizing the parent of a child who is acting up in public.

As always, there is a double meaning in Genova's title, and one that brought tears. The ending packs quite a punch.
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Such a heart wrenching read about Anthony a little boy that has Autism, but written with such empathy and warmth.
A beautiful story as all that Lisa Genova's are. (less) [edit]

1 ( )
  Glorybe1 | Jan 8, 2017 |
I greatly enjoyed this book. It is not my favorite book by Lisa Genova, but I still enjoyed it. Her other two books are written as narrated by the character with the “brain issue” whereas this book is only partially done that way. And without giving anything away, the way those parts are written is done by a concept that I didn’t expect from this highly educated author. Because she chose to use a non-verbal autistic child as her character, she was obviously limited as to how to get his viewpoint into the book though. Overall, I did like it and recommend it and her other books. When compared to "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" or "House Rules", I liked them better but really, I don’t know that you can compare them because they are completely different stories. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
There’s a point in the narrative where one of the characters becomes so engrossed in reading a book that she loses track of time. Readers of Genova’s latest excellent offering might very well find the same happening to them.

added by doomjesse | editKirkus (Sep 1, 2012)

For Tracey
In memory of Larry
It's Columbus Day weekend, and they lucked out with  gorgeous weather, an Indian-summer day in October.

Two women meet by accident on a Nantucket beach and are drawn into a friendship. Olivia is a young mother whose eight-year-old severely autistic son has recently died. She comes to the island in a trial separation to try and make sense of the tragedy of her Anthony's short life. Beth, a stay-at-home mother of three, is also recently separated after discovering her husband's long-term infidelity.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,323,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible