Endangered by Eliot Schrefer

Authors:Eliot Schrefer
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Endangered by Eliot Schrefer

I loved Endangered! It's a very powerfully written story that is informative and eye opening. It's not the kind of book that shies away from the stark violence that people engage towards each other and animals every day. It's not the most intense violent book out there but it doesn't sugar coat real issues that are taking places all over the world today. I'm not a huge fan of reading violence for violence's sake but that's not what Schrefer writes at all. He writes a great story about Congo, the civil war they are engaged in and an young caught in the middle of it all. His protagonist is innocent and vulnerable but shows tremendous bravery to protect animals that are even more vulnerable. Fantastic story.

Curricular connection - This was a Battle of the Books book but I also used it as a selection for my science colleague who was asking students to read about conservation. ( )
  ECrowwwley | Apr 12, 2016 |
This turned out to be a fabulous little read. The story was set in the Congo during political unrest and focused on the plight of the bonobos. I loved learning more about these intelligent animals and Otto won my heart from the start. i enjoyed how fourteen-year-old Sophie matured throughout the book and her bond with baby Otto was extremely touching. Some of her escapades were a bit unbelievable, but overall I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read, full of adventure and heart-warming moments. A real find for animal lovers of any age. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Very good. Gripping subject.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
This was an important and well told story. Sophie is a teen who lives with her father in the U.S. during the school year but visits her mother from the Democratic Republic of Congo in the summer. Her mother runs a bonobo sanctuary that rescues orphaned bonobo babies with the goal of reintroducing them into the wild. Sophie herself rescues and bonds with an orphaned bonobo, so when war comes to the country, Sophie refuses to abandon Otto and return to the U.S. Then begins their harrowing ordeal. The reader is introduced to bonobo behavior, the Congo, and war. All of it is very realistically depicted. ( )
  ChristianR | Dec 20, 2014 |
I love bonobos. Who doesn't? When I heard Sara Gruen's interview about her novel Ape House, I immediately picked up her book, anxious to hear her research translated into this novel. Unfortunately, I left disappointed. Not enough bonobos! I loved the chapters involving the bonobos, but could not muster the enthusiasm for the other chapters. For that reason, I was hopeful Eliot Schrefer's ENDANGERED would come through for me. And it did! In spades! Schrefer weaved his research into a novel that any bonobo lover would enjoy without information dumping everything he had learned. Sophie's story in war torn Congo is heart wrenching. We feel her pain, her anxiety, her courage and her determination. I look forward to interviewing Eliot Schrefer on my blog, Naturally Speaking!
  Nancy.Castaldo | Nov 3, 2014 |
KINSHASA, THE CAPITAL OF CONGO - Concrete can rot. It turns green and black before crumbling away. Maybe only people from the Congo know that.

The compelling tale of a girl who must save a group of bonobos--and herself--from a violent coup.

The Congo is a dangerous place, even for people who are trying to do good.

When one girl has to follow her mother to her sancuary for bonobos, she's not thrilled to be there. It's her mother's passion, and she'd rather have nothing to do with it. But when revolution breaks out and their sanctuary is attacked, she must rescue the bonobos and hide in the jungle. Together, they will fight to keep safe, to eat, and to survive.

Eliot Schrefer asks readers what safety means, how one sacrifices to help others, and what it means to be human in this new compelling adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:22 -0400)

Sophie is not happy to be back in the Congo for the summer, but when she rescues an abused baby bonobo she becomes more involved in her mother's sanctuary--and when fighting breaks out and the sanctuary is attacked, it is up to Sophie to rescue the apes and somehow survive in the jungle.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible