Endangered by Eliot Schrefer

Authors:Eliot Schrefer
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Finished Reading
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, war, democratic republic of congo, congo, bonobos

Endangered by Eliot Schrefer

Recently added byRWAMAGANA, Nancy.Castaldo, JulieW121, KBontempo, patelnik002, ussjaques, private library

I love bonobos. Who doesn't? When I heard Sara Gruen's interview about her novel Ape House, I immediately picked up her book, anxious to hear her research translated into this novel. Unfortunately, I left disappointed. Not enough bonobos! I loved the chapters involving the bonobos, but could not muster the enthusiasm for the other chapters. For that reason, I was hopeful Eliot Schrefer's ENDANGERED would come through for me. And it did! In spades! Schrefer weaved his research into a novel that any bonobo lover would enjoy without information dumping everything he had learned. Sophie's story in war torn Congo is heart wrenching. We feel her pain, her anxiety, her courage and her determination. I look forward to interviewing Eliot Schrefer on my blog, Naturally Speaking!
  Nancy.Castaldo | Nov 3, 2014 |
First in a series about the great apes, this book was a National Book finalist. A young American, half Congolese, returns to her mother's country and is trapped by the start of the civil war. Her mother runs a rescue center for the bonobo, a matriarchal great ape. When society breaks down, the refuge becomes a trap, and she must flee with only one surviving bonobo. The subsequent trials and dangers are hair-raising, sure to entrance any teen or adult. Realistic, gritty, the tale pulls few punches. ( )
  Naura.Milano | Sep 2, 2014 |
Excellent realistic fiction novel that follows Sophie, who is have Congolese as she tries to escape a civil war that has just broken out. Sophie returns to the Congo to visit her mother for the summer and ends up rescuing a bonobo, whom she names Otto. Not soon after her arrival, the government is overthrown and Sophie is on a mission to find her mother, who went north to release other bonobo's into the wild. She will have to fight to stay alive and escape being taken by the militants. ( )
  smheatherly2 | Jun 18, 2014 |
Sophia is visiting her mother in the Congo at her Bonobo rescue facility when war breaks out. Refusing to leave her adopted baby Bonobo, Otto, behind, Sophia refuses to evacuate when the U.N. comes from her and hides with the bonobos in an enclosure with an electrified fence. When the electricity goes out, she takes Otto and heads off into the jungle of a country at war to find her mother at the release facility. ( )
  pmlyayakkers | Dec 19, 2013 |
This one drew me in, and at times I had to put it down because I was too emotionally entangled. I'm one of those people who can't stand the thought of an animal getting hurt, so Otto, the bonobo, being in constant danger just kept me chewing my nails. Definitely worth a read. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |
KINSHASA, THE CAPITAL OF CONGO - Concrete can rot. It turns green and black before crumbling away. Maybe only people from the Congo know that.

The compelling tale of a girl who must save a group of bonobos--and herself--from a violent coup.

The Congo is a dangerous place, even for people who are trying to do good.

When one girl has to follow her mother to her sancuary for bonobos, she's not thrilled to be there. It's her mother's passion, and she'd rather have nothing to do with it. But when revolution breaks out and their sanctuary is attacked, she must rescue the bonobos and hide in the jungle. Together, they will fight to keep safe, to eat, and to survive.

Eliot Schrefer asks readers what safety means, how one sacrifices to help others, and what it means to be human in this new compelling adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:37 -0400)

Sophie is not happy to be back in the Congo for the summer, but when she rescues an abused baby bonobo she becomes more involved in her mother's sanctuary--and when fighting breaks out and the sanctuary is attacked, it is up to Sophie to rescue the apes and somehow survive in the jungle.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,945,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible