The Rent Collector by Camron Wright

The Rent Collector (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Camron Wright

1691970,359 (4.33)3
Member:Beamis12
Title:The Rent Collector
Authors:Camron Wright
Info:Shadow Mountain (2012), Edition: First, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Rent Collector by Camron Wright (2012)

This is a book of fiction that reads like a historical memoir. A good look at a different culture as well as a look at someone's introduction to reading and literature. ( )
  elsyd | Mar 20, 2017 |
THIS BOOK RANKS AS MY #1 READ OF 2016. TOLD AS A TALE IT RELATES HOW READING CAN CHANGE PEOPLES LIVES. THE DESIRE TO LEARN TO READ TO IMPROVE A WOMANS LIFE THAT SHE IS LIVING IN THE GARBAGE HEAPS OF THAILAND. ( )
  CheryleFisher | Jan 11, 2017 |
Although THE RENT COLLECTOR is fiction, the inspiration for this book is the documentary film RIVER OF VICTORY. The story is set in Cambodia just after the decline of the Khmer Rouge regime. The two main characters, Sang Ly and her husband live in Stung Meanchey, a garbage dump, and to survive they pick through truckloads of trash everyday, looking for things they can sell. As you can imagine, the dump is filthy and dangerous, and life is uncertain. Sang Ly’s young son Nisay's health suffers from living in these conditions and gang violence is a heartbeat away. Sounds grim, but surprisingly enough the message running through this story is one of hope, determination and redemption. Sang Ly wants a better life for her son and she is convinced that the path to this dream is learning to read. As an avid reader, I loved this about. I loved that the author highlighted the power of reading. Recommend for book clubs and Historical Fiction fans.

Review previously posted at: www.princetonbookreview.com

Find us on Face book http://www.facebook.com/#%21/pages/Princeton-Book-Review/73532562757
Find us on Twitter https://twitter.com/PBR_BookReview
Find us on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/pbrbookreview/ ( )
  Princetonbookreview | Dec 21, 2016 |
A family of trash pickers lives in the Stung Meanchey dump of Cambodia barely surviving. When the wife learns to read, their lives begin to change, and beauty is found in unexpected places. ( )
  poetreegirl | Jul 5, 2016 |
I really enjoyed the quotes from literature incorporated into the story. I enjoyed the historical piece, learning about the Khmer Rouge revolution and the genocide that occurred. I also appreciated the friendship between Sang Ly and Sopeap. It was interesting to see Sang Ly see the world differently through literature.

However, I did not feel like the representation of the people living at the dump was accurate or believably portrayed. I felt that the tone and manner of the characters was off. There was something almost blissful about the way these people viewed their homes and their way of life that did not ring true to me. Here were a group of people living in utter abject poverty on the edge of a garbage heap, making their living picking through trash, barely surviving. They were dealing with gangs, starvation,children being sold into prostitution, and health issues. I did not feel that the author was truly connected to and connecting the reader to the extreme poverty and desperateness of the situation. I felt the storyline was an easy enjoyable read that all came together nicely in the end, however it was all hard to swallow. I would give this book 3-starsmostly for it being an interested dive into literature.

I have previously read Katherine Boo’s “Behind the Beautiful Forevers” and felt that she did an amazing job in researching and writing that book. She lived in Mumbai among the poorest of the poor who also worked as trash collectors and documented their stories in her nonfictional account. I would highly recommend skipping this book and reading that book instead to get a more accurate rendition of living and social conditions in a slum.

For maps, pictures, & discussion questions, please visit: http://www.book-chatter.com/?p=300 ( )
  marieatbookchatter | Mar 30, 2016 |
When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt our head back and laugh at the sky. --Budda
To the Provider of hopes, dreams, and second chances
I once believed that heroes existed only in old men's fables, that evil in the world had triumphed over good, and that love--a true, unselfish, and abiding love--could only be found in a little girl's imagination.
Learning is an affair that takes a lifetime.
We are literature - - our lives, our hopes, our desires, our despairs, our passions, our strengths, our weaknesses. Stories express our longing not only to make a difference today but to see what is possible for tomorrow.
If you know a lot, know enough to make people respect you. If you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
The most difficult battles in life are those we fight within.
Crafting a plan is easy. Taking action will always prove to be the more difficult path.

Sang Ly struggles to survive by picking through garbage in Cambodia's largest municipal dump. Under threat of eviction by an embittered old drunk who is charged with collecting rents from the poor of Stung Meanchey, Sang Ly embarks on a desperate journey to save her ailing son from a life of ignorance and poverty.… (more)

133 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,280,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible