The Rent Collector by Camron Wright

The Rent Collector (edition 2012)

by Camron Wright

Member:Beamis12
Title:The Rent Collector
Authors:Camron Wright
Info:Shadow Mountain (2012), Edition: First, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Rent Collector by Camron Wright

A story worth reading. Especially for all my friends who have visited Nicaragua and the dump.
  clprice | Jan 11, 2015 |
Wow. After seeing the documentary by 10x10 called Girl Rising (see this if you haven't!), this book happened into my periphery. How timely. While the book is fiction, it is based on real characters from the author's son's documentary "River of Victory" about the "garbage pickers" who lived in the dump of the same name Stung Meanchey - hardly a river. Wright took the documentary's characters and imagined how their lives and community could be different with an opportunity for education. The book beautifully weaves fairy tales, literature, poetry, and original short stories into the understanding of life and culture in the poorest populations of Cambodia. Girl Rising and this lovely book prove that education, whether reading or history, changes our perspectives. A true gem. ( )
  asawyer | Dec 31, 2014 |
The interweaving of the two stories-Sang Ly's struggle to care for her ailing child and Sopeap's life with her terrible burden-is masterfully done. As Mr. Wright describes the changes Sang Ly goes through as she learns to read and then to understand literature, he gives the reader glimpses of Sopeap-little things that leave the reader guessing there's more to her story. It isn't until the end that the full import and tragedy of her life is revealed, making a powerful statement about the history of Cambodia and the triumph of hope despite the odds. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Nov 17, 2013 |
I won a copy through the Goodreads' Firstreads program!!!

The Rent Collector by Camron Wright gives a look into the life of trash pickers living in a huge dump of Cambodia.

That is the basic plot, but the story does so much more. There is hope / loss, joy / sadness, and a myriad of emotions tied within. I thought about my position in the world, and how lucky I am to enjoy basic necessities every day.

Perhaps what stuck with me the most is the main character Sang Li's neverending faith in a better tomorrow. Her family and struggles are based on a real person, even if the story itself is a fiction write.

The author does an amazing job of making a Cambodian family relatable to the everyperson. I tell people every day that I'm reading this wonderful novel, and encourage all of you to do so. I will pass this around until the spine falls apart! ( )
  hopefully86 | May 1, 2013 |
Based on a true story The Rent Collector is set in a garbage dump in Cambodia where people work and live picking through the garbage around them. When a young mother with a sick child find a book it will change her life and help redeem a woman still suffering from the not to distant horrors of the countries past. This was a wonderful story that gives glimpses into the tragic past of Cambodia and the struggles its residents are still enduring. It also show how powerful the ability to read can be. ( )
  reb922 | Apr 24, 2013 |

Sang Ly struggles to survive by picking through garbage in Cambodia's largest municipal dump. Under threat of eviction by an embittered old drunk who is charged with collecting rents from the poor of Stung Meanchey, Sang Ly embarks on a desperate journey to save her ailing son from a life of ignorance and poverty.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,066,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible