The Rent Collector by Camron Wright

The Rent Collector (edition 2012)

by Camron Wright

Member:Beamis12
Title:The Rent Collector
Authors:Camron Wright
Info:Shadow Mountain (2012), Edition: First, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Rent Collector by Camron Wright

The interweaving of the two stories-Sang Ly's struggle to care for her ailing child and Sopeap's life with her terrible burden-is masterfully done. As Mr. Wright describes the changes Sang Ly goes through as she learns to read and then to understand literature, he gives the reader glimpses of Sopeap-little things that leave the reader guessing there's more to her story. It isn't until the end that the full import and tragedy of her life is revealed, making a powerful statement about the history of Cambodia and the triumph of hope despite the odds. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Nov 17, 2013 |
I won a copy through the Goodreads' Firstreads program!!!

The Rent Collector by Camron Wright gives a look into the life of trash pickers living in a huge dump of Cambodia.

That is the basic plot, but the story does so much more. There is hope / loss, joy / sadness, and a myriad of emotions tied within. I thought about my position in the world, and how lucky I am to enjoy basic necessities every day.

Perhaps what stuck with me the most is the main character Sang Li's neverending faith in a better tomorrow. Her family and struggles are based on a real person, even if the story itself is a fiction write.

The author does an amazing job of making a Cambodian family relatable to the everyperson. I tell people every day that I'm reading this wonderful novel, and encourage all of you to do so. I will pass this around until the spine falls apart! ( )
  hopefully86 | May 1, 2013 |
Based on a true story The Rent Collector is set in a garbage dump in Cambodia where people work and live picking through the garbage around them. When a young mother with a sick child find a book it will change her life and help redeem a woman still suffering from the not to distant horrors of the countries past. This was a wonderful story that gives glimpses into the tragic past of Cambodia and the struggles its residents are still enduring. It also show how powerful the ability to read can be. ( )
  reb922 | Apr 24, 2013 |
Sang Ly, a twenty-nine year old young mother, her husband Ki Lim and son, Nisay live on the top of a large mountain in Cambodia. Rather than pristine rolling landscapes and crystal clean running streams, they are surrounded by piles of noxious and dangerous garbage. They live at the very bottom of Maslow’s Hierarchy. The place is called Stung Meanchey, and this is their home, a shelter that consists of a couple of poles and a canvas roof. Within are the bare essentials for survival. Each day is spent with one goal in mind, to make enough money to eat a dinner. Hopefully, with luck they will earn enough at the end of the month to pay rent to The Rent Collector, a merciless, stone hearted drunk. They call her the cow, but her name is Sopeap Sin. Nisay is a very sick child and all attempts to treat his chronic diarrhea fail. His belly is large and Sang Ly fears for his life. One day when Sopeap arrives for the monthly rent, Sang Ly witnesses her sobbing after she discovers a torn children’s picture book in Nisay’s hands. Later, Sang Ly is sure that Sopeap must know how to read. How is it possible, that this wretched woman, also amid such poverty is able to read? Sang Ly is determined to save her son and she now knows that there is a way.

This is an amazing story of challenges, determination, guilt, gratitude and forgiveness. Seriously, a book that is difficult to break away from. Sang Ly and Sopeap Sin discover through their love of storytelling lessons that will surprise everyone. I will savor this book, the characters, the message and my personal thoughts about life’s perspective. THE RENT COLLECTOR is a passionately rare and memorable gift for all readers.

© [Wisteria Leigh] and [Bookworm's Dinner], [2008-2012].
DISCLOSURE: A free kindle version of this book was made available by Net Galley for review. ( )
  WisteriaLeigh | Jan 10, 2013 |
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I figured it would be depressing and I couldn't imagine how a story of people living in the dump was going to be much of a story to tell. Well, I was completely wrong. The story is told from Sang Ly's perspective and she is quite the storyteller. She is quite witty and had me laughing in the first chapter. She is thoughtful, intelligent, and has a will to improve her life.

Sang Ly is a wife, but most importantly a mother. She thinks and feels like any mother in the world, with her focus on her son being healthy. Isn't that what every mother in the world wants? No matter whether you live in a dump in Cambodia or a mansion in California, all a mother wants is for her child to be happy and healthy. For Sang Ly, it was her sole purpose. Sang Ly devises a plan for a better life and that dream involves her asking for help from someone she least expects to ask for help.

The way of life for the people living at the dump and the descriptions of their homes and belongings were shocking to me. The little things that were appreciated, their meager food portions, the constant struggle to survive were heartbreaking....and even more so knowing this truly is happening every day in Cambodia and other places around the world. This story will remind you that possessions are just things and what truly matters in life is happiness, love, family, friends and your health. Sang Ly and her husband Ki remind us that we make our own happiness, not by the things we have, but by spending time with those we love.

This story is based on truth and is told about real people. By going to www.TheRentCollector.com you will learn even more about the story of those who live at the dump. I found the photos on the website and at the back of the book, fascinating and wonder how the people in the story are doing now.

This story is eye-opening, intellectual, heartbreaking, and inspirational. It makes for an excellent book club discussion and questions are available on the book website. ( )
  Staciele | Nov 28, 2012 |

Sang Ly struggles to survive by picking through garbage in Cambodia's largest municipal dump. Under threat of eviction by an embittered old drunk who is charged with collecting rents from the poor of Stung Meanchey, Sang Ly embarks on a desperate journey to save her ailing son from a life of ignorance and poverty.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,324,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible