The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury

The Bridge (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Karen Kingsbury

Member:rjmoren
Title:The Bridge
Authors:Karen Kingsbury
Info:Howard Books (2012), Kindle Edition, 274 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Christian fiction

The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury (2012)

Sweet, sentimental, and fairly predictable romance about two college students who fell in love with each other and with a bookstore called the bridge. Circumstances pulled the young couple apart, but they are reunited years later when the owner of The Bridge is hospitalized after an accident and former customers rally to support him and his wife. If you're looking for a sweet heartwarming romance to pass the time this one will do, but it's not outstanding in any way. ( )
  debs4jc | Jun 19, 2016 |
Review: The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury.

This is an amazing book. When I picked up the book I didn’t know there was a short novella called “The Beginning” that started before the story “The Bridge”. The book was well written and very much in touch with grief, religion and faith.

The first story began years earlier when Charlie and Donna Barton first met and set out fulfill Charlie’s dream. He wanted Donna as his wife and a family. They both came from dysfunctional families so they only had a small ceremony to confirm their marriage. Once Donna was pregnant and her health seemed to be going good they decided to fulfill another of Charlie’s dreams which was opening a bookstore. Then tragedy struck them at the end of Donna’s pregnancy. The baby girl was born dead and Donna’s life only could be saved by a last minute decision by the doctor and he performed a hysterectomy on Donna. This crushed their hope of having a child so they placed all their strength in making the bookstore a place where they cold share hope and spirit to others who sort of lost hope and needed someone to help bring them to some meaning to their lives. This is also the place where two college students, Molly Allen and Ryan Kelly met and drifted apart because of misinterpretations and vibes they were experiencing between them at that time. They spent eight years apart taking different paths only to meet again in the next story.

The Bridge also was held together by love, hope, and believing in one another. Charlie’s dream was fading slowly away after he lost everything in the bookstore because of a flood that ruined the store. Months later he was struggling to find means to reopen his store but at this time he was in his sixties and couldn’t get credit, plus some told him that a bookstore was becoming a thing of the past. A new market of technical products were taking over the past generation and enhancing to a new era. Charlie was devastated and for a moment he lost all hope and only could remember his father telling him he was a failure to society. That day in the cold bare bookstore he lost his faith. He did struggled with his thoughts that day when he was leaving the bookstore for the last time, hesitating about going home to Donna, his first and only love of his life.

The story proceeds and as a reader I was shattered and hoped for the best for Charlie and Donna. Throughout the rest of the story it took love, strength, many prayers, friends, past customers of Charlie’s, the community and the new cyber network to bring this story to an end on Christmas Eve……
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
I'm oversimplifying this, but this is a romance that budded and blossomed in a book store setting. It weathered some storms, and was rekindled. If I had a romantic fantasy (and perhaps I do, because I love the movie, 'You've Got Mail), it would be one that was centered around my love for all things related to books and reading. But more than that, it's a story about second chances and miracles! ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
For the first time in a long time I was disappointed in a book by Karen Kingsbury now to be fair I was a huge Baxter fan and maybe because this is different that was part of it but I doubt it. I raed a lot and I either like a book or I don't, I rarely compare them to others by the same author or other books in general.

This book just didn't do it for me. I loved the concept and parts of it were very heartwarming but overall it was just ok.

Who doesn't love a good bookstore and the history of this bookstore is amazing. But it just fals short for me. I suggest you read it and see what you think.

Goodreads writes:
Molly Allen lives alone in Portland, but her heart is back in Franklin, Tennessee, where five years ago she walked away from a man she cannot forget, a rare sort of love she hasn't found since.
Ryan Kelly lives in Franklin and spends plenty of time at The Bridge-the oldest bookstore in historic downtown Franklin-remembering the long hours he and Kelly once spent there.
Now, Ryan and Molly's favorite bookstore is in trouble. For thirty years, Charlie and Donna Barton have run The Bridge, providing the people of middle Tennessee with coffee, conversation, and shelves of good books-even through dismal book sales and the rise of eBooks. Then in May a flood tore through Franklin and destroyed nearly every book in the store. By Christmastime, the bank threatens to pull the lease on The Bridge and is about to take the Bartons' house as well. Despondent, Charlie considers ending his life. And in the face of tragedy, miracles begin to unfold.( ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
This is the prequel to the Bridge, I wish I had read it before the Bridge. The Bridge was not one of my favorite books by Karen but now that I have read this, I think I want to give the Bridge another chance.

The Beginning starts with 2 couple who have tradigies happen on the same day and how they end up coming together through the bookstore The Bridge.

jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |

Karen Kingsburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Castermans-Nelleke, SusanneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Ryan Kelly spends plenty of time at The Bridge--the oldest bookstore in historic downtown Franklin, Tennessee--remembering the times he and Molly Allen--who moved to Portland--once spent there, and now, with the bookstore in deep financial trouble, it will take a miracle to keep tragedy from unfolding.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,528,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible