Bring on the empty horses / David Niven by…

Bring on the empty horses / David Niven (original 1975; edition 1975)

by David (1910-1983) Niven

Member:dgrapes
Title:Bring on the empty horses / David Niven
Authors:David (1910-1983) Niven
Info:New York : Putnam (1975), Edition: Book Club (BCE/BOMC), Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:biography

Bring on the Empty Horses by David Niven (1975)

Recently added byredmandjd50, peterpetcarp, leavesandpages, Howzat202, toread1, MiaCulpa, private library, RickLA

Niven must have been the ideal guest. He was a naturally-gifted storyteller with a wonderful, often self-deprecating, sense of humour. ( )
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
Hollywood
  Budzul | Jun 1, 2008 |
The incomparable David Niven offers a series of vignettes of the famed stars of Hollywood, from Gary Cooper to Greta Garbo. Niven reveals what the famed actors, directors and producers really were - normal people (with a few interesting quirks, of course).

Niven had a rare gift for story-telling that makes these books real treasures. They are laugh-out-loud, effortlessly funny stories that tell us of his entry into Hollywood (an unusual career path, it involved prohibition, fish and polo) as well as his checkered career in the military in England.

his book is one of the best books about Hollywood I have ever read. Many books of this kind are written in a bitter, sometimes nasty voice as an attack on the people involved, but Niven does not stoop to that level. Not only do you get an excellent first-hand history of the golden studio days of filmmaking, but you get to see a more personal depiction of many of the stars of the era. His style is so charming, and dare I say "witty", that I couldn't help but laugh aloud at many of his observations.

This book and the one preceding it("The Moon's a Balloon") just might be my two favorite books, EVER. I practically insist every friend I make read them. I guarantee you'll read these two books over and over again. I just wish he'd written more of them! ( )
1 vote Jawin | Dec 30, 2006 |

The second part of David Niven's autobiography, 'Bring on the Empty Horses' recalls Hollywood's heyday and the life of the quintessential British gent. Originally published: London: Hamilton, 1975.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,211,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible