Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson

Strands of Bronze and Gold

by Jane Nickerson

1973059,709 (3.41)8
    Fitcher's Brides by Gregory Frost (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are retellings of Bluebeard.
    Of Monsters and Madness by Jessica Verday (BookSpot)
    BookSpot: Gothic historical tales both in the nineteenth-century and feature teenage characters who are unused to the society, circumstances they find themselves in. Both also deal some with class issues.

English (29)  Italian (1)  All languages (30)
This was my first book by Ms. Nickerson & definitely NOT my last!! Drew me in right from the beginning and captivated me until the last word. ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
So bad that in the end I just gave up...I thought I would manage too finish the books, but I just couldn't force myself to keep reading this garbage. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
Retelling of the fairy tale "Bluebeard." Sophia Petheram's godfather has written to invite her to live with him after the death of her father. Sophia gratefully accepts this generous offer, but almost from the moment she arrives at Wyndriven Abbey, things don't go the way she expects. Monseur Bernard, as she calls him, has a tragic past, with 4 dead wives and a dead son. He has violent mood swings, and the refuge she thought she was getting proves to be a trap. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 29, 2014 |
Strands of Bronze and Gold was an okay read but with an excellent audio narration by Caitlin Prennace. I probably would have abandoned this story very early on because of the annoying main character had it not been for Prennace's wonderful storytelling. I also enjoyed the writing and flow of the story itself. I only knew the bare minimum about the Bluebeard legend before beginning this and I don't think I've really learned anything more of significance about that tale by reading this. Books like this make me face uncomfortable truths about myself, such as, maybe I'm just not a very nice person. The reason I come to this conclusion is that, when faced with a foolishly naive character, I usually root for the "villain" to kill her off. I find myself losing patience with characters who are so painfully oblivious that I think it is only fair that the much more interesting and complex villain get the pleasure of torturing and murdering her for my entertainment. And I'm often disappointed when it doesn't happen that way. Such was the case with Strands of Bronze and Gold.

I give the book 3 stars and the audio narrator 5 stars. ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |

I give the book 3 stars and the audio narrator 5 stars. ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
When 17-year-old Sophia’s father dies, she is sent from Boston to Wyndriven Abbey, the Mississippi plantation of her godfather, Monsieur Bernard de Cressac. There, Sophia becomes more and more suspicious of the plantation slaves’ living and working conditions, the vine-shrouded outbuildings she is not allowed to explore, and the various treasures belonging to Bernard’s former wives, all dead, that she finds in the attic. In spite of her uneasy attraction to Bernard’s increasingly romantic intentions, Sophia finds herself falling for Gideon Stone, the local minister. With nods to such classics as Rebecca and Gone with the Wind, first-time novelist Nickerson adds a strictly American spin to her version of the Bluebeard fairy tale. With headstrong Sophia, handsome rake Monsieur de Cressac, and sweet, courageous Reverend Stone wrapped in a romantic love triangle; the glamorous Mississippi plantation as a cover for the somewhat sanitized horrors of slavery; and an increasingly obvious murder mystery; this will beckon readers of historical fiction, romance, and mystery alike. Grades 9-12.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Frances Bradburn

After the death of her father in 1855, seventeen-year-old Sophia goes to live with her wealthy and mysterious godfather at his gothic mansion, Wyndriven Abbey, in Mississippi, where many secrets lie hidden.

42 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,160,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible