Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #1:…

Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #1: Professor Gargoyle (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Charles Gilman

Member:MarlaSTNC
Title:Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #1: Professor Gargoyle
Authors:Charles Gilman
Info:Quirk Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:Early Reviewers, Review Copies, Your library, To read

Professor Gargoyle by Charles Gilman (2012)

Professor Gargoyle: Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #1 Robert Arthur has been plucked out of his usual school, and placed in Lovecraft Middle School on the south side of his town. Sadly none of his friends came with him. Even worse the school bully, Glenn Torkells, did. If that's not bad enough, there's definitely something wrong with Robert's new school. Rats in the lockers, strange looking teachers, and even mysterious ooze?

It's okay though, Robert is no wimp. While he might have a bully problem, I loved how quick he was to take on every other crazy thing that happened to him. This first book spans a mere three weeks in Robert's new school, and what a three weeks it is! When students start disappearing, it is Robert who takes up the role of leader and sets off to make things right. He's a hero in the making, and it's so hard not to fall in love with him.

What really struck me though is how unapologetically Gilman mixes humor, grossness, and even a bit of horror into this book. I remember being a young reader, giggling while I read books from authors like Roald Dahl and Louis Sachar. Books that were a bit creepy, a bit crazy, and a whole lot of fun! That's what I was reliving as I powered through this book. I feel like the balance here is very well done. Best of all the ending sets things up perfectly for another book but, and here's the kicker, it actually wraps everything up too! Who knew you could have both? Thanks for that Mr. Gilman!

As you can see from the copious use of exclamation marks, this is a book I found utterly enjoyable. I know without a doubt that this is going to be a series that flies off the shelves. If you have a reluctant reader, put this book in their hands! The story is great, it's a quick read, and it even has a "lenticular" cover that shifts from human to monster. If that alone isn't a good enough reason to purchase, I don't know what is. Buy a copy and get ready to enter Lovecraft Middle School. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
You seemed to enjoy it, and I didn't think it was all that bad. Longer-form, slower Goosebumps. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
Lovecraft Middle School is brand new and high-tech, but it hides a terrible secret. Robert starts the year by meeting a strange girl and adopting a two-headed rat. His science teacher is eccentric to the point of frightening, and the lockers are more than they seem. This was fun. I feel like I should read some actual Lovecraft before picking up the next installment in this series. I didn't feel like I was missing anything major but it'd be nice to get all the references. ( )
  melydia | Sep 8, 2017 |
Professor Gargoyle (Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #1) by Charles Gilman is a very odd and wonderful tale for middle grade kids. This school is not like any other and a science teacher like the kids have never known. Strange things are happening and kids are missing. There is a girl Robert meets and takes him to the attic, but come to find out there is no attic and the the girl doesn't exist! It is a fun and fantastic read with lots of mystery, fantasy, and excitement. Oh, and a 2 headed rat that is Robert's friend. ( )
  MontzaleeW | May 28, 2017 |
Robert's school has been redistricted and he will now be attending Lovecraft Middle School. Although Lovecraft is brand new there are rats in the building, an old attic, tentacles rising from lockers and disappearing students. Robert ends up making several unlikely new friends and starts investigating.

So far this has potential to be interesting but feels unfinished. This book is definitely all about the plot as relationships develop much too easily. Unfortunately so much of the plot has been left out or left for future books that this book feels a little unfinished.
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Charles Gilmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, EugeneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is for Sam
Robert Arthur was surrounded by strangers.

11-year-old Robert Arthur must vanquish Professor Gargoyle and learn the creepy origin story of the brand new Lovecraft Middle School (LMS).

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Charles Gilman's book Lovecraft Middle School: Professor Gargoyle was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible