Final Flight by Stephen Coonts

Final Flight

by Stephen Coonts

Recently added bywjbrown, BobJ8866, Hymlock, private library, BluePhrog57, SuzanneMR, DrTusk, jackweiser, ronploude

Spine tingling? Maybe? It was one hellova good Navy book. From the boring administrative details of Navy life, to the smashing conclusion; the book was a fun read. And, as always with a Coonts novel, our hero saves the world for democracy and the American way. ( )
  buffalogr | Jan 12, 2014 |
The novel, as with most, tarted out slow. I felt as if I were reading a Naval Air Primer for all the details lavished on process and activity. But as the story unfolded with multiple plot lines the depth of detail fell off and it became more the kind of novel I prefer.
The characters were well endowed with individual characteristics, mannerisms and foibles. There were a couple who seemed sterotypical characatures, which did little to hold my interest, but overall I think Stephen did an excellent job populating this novel.
I was a little disappointed how easily the terrorists commandeered a U.S. naval vessel, given the depth of procedural detail offered early on, but I understand that the story could not have unfolded otherwise.
The climax was well drawn, though a bit too TVish for me. And, like so many novels I've read of late, the protagonist dies and the aftermath of his demise is given short shrift. The last scene was unrealistic, but did provide some a modicum of closure. Because of the unique nature of creativity, I, as a writer, would have handled it quite differently and added more depth. Though she'd been a significant character in the story, Mrs. Grafton's loss was totally ignored.
There were places I felt needed more detail and other less, but overall, I think this was a good read. ( )
  DavidLErickson | Apr 30, 2011 |
Final Flight is an action yarn that is packed with detail. The basic premise centres around a terrorist's attempt to board a new American super-carrier to slip away with the nukes. It's Die Hard at sea. However, Coonts ensures this tale is as close to reality as possible, through good research and detailed characterisation. The build up, which is difficult at times due to the heady amount of acronyms the navy use, sets a solid background for the final two-thirds of the book, which is non-stop action and intrigue. It's gripping once you get past the initial scene-setting. There is however a lack of compassion for the lead roles. This is a result of their behaviours, which are realistic portrayals of those in armed forces management, but create a level of dislike for them at times. All in all, Final Flight is an enjoyable book, more factual that Cussler, less techno than Crichton, but worth a read. ( )
  SonicQuack | Apr 15, 2009 |
Sequel to Coonts' Flight of the Intruder and a decent book but a cut below the predecessor. ( )
  stpnwlf | Jul 17, 2007 |
The title and author of this book do not match the ISBN and cover.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044020447X, Mass Market Paperback)

The most daring -- and deadly -- terrorist plot of all time is about to unfold aboard the supercarrier USS United States. If it succeeds, the balance of nuclear power will tilt in favor of a remorseless Arab leader. And it looks as if no one can stop it - except navy "jet jock" Jake Grafton. "Cag " Grafton is one helluva pilot. His F-14 Tomcat is one helluva plane. But some of Jake's crewmates have already vanished. A woman reporter who boarded the ship in Tangiers may not be who she claims to be. And Jake may have to disobey a direct order from the President himself for one spine-tingling, hair-raising Final Flight

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

The crew of the supercarrier U.S.S. United States stands to lose their nuclear cargo and their lives to an international terrorist, and only commander Jake Grafton can save them.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,196,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible