Journey Into Mystery/New Mutants: Exiled by…

Journey Into Mystery/New Mutants: Exiled (edition 2012)

by Dan Abnett (Author), Kieron Gillen (Illustrator), Carmine Di Giandomenico (Illustrator), Andy Lanning (Author)

211495,208 (4)1
Member:jshillingford
Title:Journey Into Mystery/New Mutants: Exiled
Authors:Dan Abnett (Author)
Other authors:Kieron Gillen (Illustrator), Carmine Di Giandomenico (Illustrator), Andy Lanning (Author)
Info:Marvel (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 120 pages
Tags:Paperback, Marvel/DC, Graphic Novel

Journey Into Mystery/New Mutants: Exiled by Kieron Gillen (Author)

I love superhero films, but only recently jumped into reading Marvel comics. As a newbie, I began with the new Journey into Mystery trade volumes because you don’t need to have read anything else to follow the stories. I admit my interest stemmed from wanting to read about the new Loki, reincarnated as a kid/teen. I ordered the first four volumes (beginning with JiM: Fear Itself); this volume is an off-shoot of the main four. It is a stand-alone story that takes place within the same time frame as the others, but is not tied directly to them. I recommend reading them first, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

It begins with the New Mutants (a team of teenage x-men) moving into the house directly across from an unusual & secretive person. He turns out to be the Asgardian Sigurd and when he reveals himself, he inadvertently summons the dreaded cannibal DISIR to his location. This in turn attracts Thor, Loki, Hel and various others. Sigurd casts a spell that causes the Asgardians to lose their memories and become “normal” people. It’s up to the New Mutants, with some help from Loki, to fix reality. What I enjoyed most about this book was learning about the DISIR and how they came to be. The story occasionally breaks the fourth wall, speaking directly to readers, which was an interesting story-telling device. One minor criticism I have is that the author worked a little too hard to make the teens sound “modern.” In a few instances, it felt forced and oddly out of date. The artwork is vivid and I though it flowed with the story perfectly. It’s not the best I have seen so far (that’d be Olivier Coipel) but served the story well.

Overall, this was a fun adventure story that is well worth reading. I have enjoyed JiM so much; I branched into reading Thor comics. Marvel does a brilliant job of pulling a reader into their world. Highly recommended. ( )
  jshillingford | Feb 28, 2013 |

Gillen, KieronAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abnett, DanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lanning, AndyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Giandomenico, Carmine DiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hans, StephanieCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is a story. You may have heard it before.

The New Mutants crash headlong into the pages of JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY when a forgotten hero returns! He's mightier than Thor himself, but will the truth behind his exile consume them all? Gods are made mortal, with mutants their only hope for survival! Undead cannibals are on the loose, and San Francisco turned inside out by forbidden magic! A thrilling mythological mystery adventure in the Mighty Marvel manner! Collecting EXILED #1, NEW MUTANTS #42-43 & JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #637-638.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:44 -0400)

The New Mutants establish their headquarters in San Francisco, California, and a disgraced Norse god moves in across the street. Sigurd casts an enchantment to disguise the Dark Sisterhood and it is up to the New Mutants to restore everything back to normal.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible